Fuel Pump Replacement

CJL

I am now the proud new owner of a 2006 FZ6R. PO had it sitting in his garage for the last 4 years. Unfortunately, it had about a 1/4 tank of gas at the time, so the inside of the tank is completely rusted and full of weird reddish brown sediment.

The fuel pump and assembly is completely gummed up, and I have decided to replace it. Since I am trying to do this on the cheap, a used unit will do.

Question 1. What is the difference between an '04-06 fuel pump assembly versus one made for an '09 - 11 model year? What is the difference between these and one made for a 2012 model?

Question 2: Can any of the FZ6 pumps from any year model fit?

Question 3: has anyone just replaced the pump in the assembly? If so, did you have to replace the relief valve too?

Question 4: when the key is on, what should the voltage read across the electrical plug the supplies power to the pump? If I don't have power here, where should I look first? (ok second. Fuse is good).

Thanks

1: The part numbers are different, and the '06 part carries a $200 price premium over the '09-'16 part. All FZ6R pumps are the same from 2009-present.

2: I'd wager that any of the FZ6 pumps should work up to 2008. The FZ6R was introduced in 2009, and uses a different pump part number.

3: I think the pump only comes as an assembly, unless you're cannibalizing a used pump.

4: The fuel pump will only have power with the engine running, and during the initial key on priming. If the fuel system has enough pressure at the regulator, then the computer won't turn the pump on. I'd wager it's 12 volts when it does have power though.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Im on the other forum 600riders.com
Your solution is simply get a working motor. It is all you need.

Obtain any known working rust free pump assembly from an R6, R1, FZ6, or your own.
Swap the electric motor into your housing. It all just snaps together. You must keep and clean and test your pressure regulator. What goes back in the tank must be from an FZ6R as all the others are set to a different pressure.

You can even just buy a new pump for denso fuel body and go that route too - fleebay fz6 denso pump... $35 shipped.

Cleaning the tank is another story.

Look up the pressure spec for your pump/regulator and test it with water or air before putting it back in the tank. It should hold the specified value (FZ6 is 36.4 PSI). The pumps are nearly all the same and run 60 to 90 psi. The FJR, CBR, and some Ducati's run the same basic Denso housing as our 04 to 2014 bikes. The motor goes in some cars too.

Look on the other forum same user name in the tech section for a sticky on pump replacement. Its pretty easy.

Last edited:

As for pump priming. Its basically on timer. It primes and waits for a change of state from the crankshaft sensor. If the engine is rotated it turns the pump on. It has no pressure sensor on the fuel rail so it waits for input from the CPS.

And this applies if you cycle the key quickly w/out turning the crank. If the alloted time has not passed it wont just run the pump because the key cycled on and off. Its all safety and energy use thing. Waiting for the crank to move.