Fuel in Oil?

wykon

I recently purchased a 2009 FZ6R with 1500 miles. In the last week I put on about 100 miles and when I checked the oil I noticed that it had a fuel odor to it.

I believe this may be due to a float bowl problem but since it is fuel injected I don't know.

Can somebody enlighten me to what this may be caused from and how can I fix it?

Many Thanks!

JSP

Super Moderator
No carb, so no float bowl I believe....

Take a long screwdriver and dip it in the oil. Light it with a lighter and see if it lights on fire.

Are you sure its fuel? Is your level higher than it should be? Are you just going by smell? Its hard to tell sometimes just by smelling something, especially since you are right there next to the bike which has a vent for gas and such.

If you are truely concerned take it back to the dealer.

jcbrown630

No carb, so no float bowl I believe....

Take a long screwdriver and dip it in the oil. Light it with a lighter and see if it lights on fire.

Are you sure its fuel? Is your level higher than it should be? Are you just going by smell? Its hard to tell sometimes just by smelling something, especially since you are right there next to the bike which has a vent for gas and such.

If you are truely concerned take it back to the dealer.
^this

And no, there is no float bowl on a fuel injected bike. Either the fuel pump is running or not. No bowl.

wykon

Unfortunately I purchased it from a private party and it is out of warranty. I am going by smell and I did try to light it on fire (dropped some on a can). It took about 10-15 seconds under a flame to light, so it may just be the oil burning. At this time I believe that the oil level is rising, but I am not sure since I did not have the greatest lighting to tell.

Everything seems to be running well but I have only 100 miles on it since I got it so I am not sure.

JSP

Super Moderator
Is the oil really thin feeling and not oil like? Pull your air filter and see if it is saturated with gas or smells strongly of gas as well.

I think most oil will have a slight gas smell to it. Its all coming from petrolium based stuff ya know?

Change your oil just to be safe and just keep an eye on it. Dont think you have anything to worry about.

stuna

change the oil . fill it up . if the level goes up from there :(. its not good
oil is cheep engines are not