Fuel Gauge?

Bert-Aus

I have been intrigued by the mileage on this bike.

When I first got my Rocket Ride I was only commuting and occassionally hills riding twisties etc,
I was getting around 200-230km before fuel warning meter came on (F flashing saying 1 - 5kms before empty)

Following last years run to Phillip Island MotoGP,
I noted one length I stretched it out to around 400km's on a tank!
But when I filled it up I was still only to get about 15L into the tank (which raised my interest)

Side note-About 3 weeks ago I opened the airbox by removing the snorkel and base of the intake area.

To this current week.
My trip-meter was reading around the 230km's when the fuel warning came on.
F is flashing and stating only 5km's till empty, rode home from work no worries

Next day warmup before ride to work -F flashes saying 12km's till empty

That afternoon -warm up at work -F flashes saying 16km's till empty

Still haven't filled up

This morning warmup before ride to work -F flashes saying 21km's till empty
got to work no issues, look in tank still some fuel splashing around in there!

Does anyone have any insight to the mental retardation that my trip/ fuel meter is suffering?

blkbrd

Elite Member

Kdubb223

Yeah it's not miles/km til empty. It's mileage since your F-trip came on. Which I believe comes on when there is 1 gallon left I believe.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Yeah it's not miles/km til empty. It's mileage since your F-trip came on. Which I believe comes on when there is 1 gallon left I believe.
I am going to check how much fuel is in the tank before i leave for home tonight
I will keep you updated as to how much further I get...

I am lucky that it will only be a short walk home should I run her dry;)

JSP

Super Moderator
Try not to run it dry. It is not good to run the bike out of gas. The fuel pump uses the fuel as a lubricant and to keep cool.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Well, I checked the tank & the was some fuel splashing about...
Filled her up around the corner, the F meter reading 30...
Still only got 15.54L into her.

Keeping in mind bowsers are rarely accurate, but eitherway that is def the most city range I have got out of her

Bloke

I've had 42 miles out of reserve but wouldn't take it much more than that. Pretty sure I was 16+ litres on that fill.

Love the epic failing at the beginning of the thread confusing a count up for a count down. :)

Roaddawg

To this current week.
My trip-meter was reading around the 230km's when the fuel warning came on.
F is flashing and stating only 5km's till empty, rode home from work no worries

Next day warmup before ride to work -F flashes saying 12km's till empty

That afternoon -warm up at work -F flashes saying 16km's till empty

Still haven't filled up

This morning warmup before ride to work -F flashes saying 21km's till empty
got to work no issues, look in tank still some fuel splashing around in there!

Does anyone have any insight to the mental retardation that my trip/ fuel meter is suffering?
Maybe the retardation is not in the fuel meter?? :D

Just messing with you. Don't rely on the fuel gauge to be 100% accurate. It's just a "gauge" to how much might be in there. The best thing to do is reset your trip meter every time you fill up and go off of that based on your average MPG (or km's per liter...). That's the best way to make sure you don't run out of gas. Once I hit 150 miles, I'll look for the next fuel stop, just to be safe.

Bert-Aus

I was basing my observation on previous experience with car Fuel meter thingy's where they have given an indication to empty -I assumed

Either way I am still curious as to how far I can get mileage wise per tank comparing riding styles, fuel types etc.