front suspension upgrade

joloy133

I talked to a rep at Hyperpro and they have progressive rate stock replacement springs for our 6ers, cost is $170. They are not yet listed on their website or catalogs. A replacement rear shocks is coming soon too. This is primarily for those heavier riders, pillion packers, and at speed cornering crazies. Actually, I am considering this mod as I feel the front suspension is soft for my liking, anybody else?

cbzdel

I am VERY intersted!! I would like to see a review before I drop the cash though..

I feel the front suspension is way to soft when I get into the twistys or ride two up.. For the every day stuff its fine but when I become the weekend warrior I want it firm!

JonKerr

Elite Member

OTTF

I am looking at doing this also to stiffen up the front end, may even decide to the rear for grins. Just need to get some more scratch together, there are always more upgrades I could use :thumbup:

Funkmaxtor

There were a few people looking into putting an R6 fork on their 6R. I like the look of the R6 fork so I may consider doing that. Not to mention there are a lot more upgrades for the R6 forks.

joloy133

The Hyperpro springs essentially keep the designed characteristics of the bike intact. That being smooth for the commute and stable on the long sweepers. It's in the quicker, tighter turns with late breaking at speeds where the softness comes into play, especially if you're on the heavier side, IMO. The progressive rate design would give that added stiffness in this area without adversely effecting the other attributes. That said, I'm not sure how R6 forks would change the handling characteristics and at what cost? There would also be concerns with braking performance, maybe overkill for this type of bike? (Will stay tuned for further input and discovery.)

cbzdel

I am pretty sure if you do R6 forks you also need r6 brakes, at lease the FZ6 guys do IIRC..

I would rather have upgrade than factory as well, I dont want to buy R6 forks then upgrade those as well if I am not happy with them..

Plus if these are progressive springs, I would be more than happy with them!

GoGreen09

Since this is my first bike, I'm not sure what "good" front suspension is. I do notice that my front end dives quite a bit more nowadays compared to when the bike was new. I don't think I'm pulling too hard though. I actually started to master the 2 finger braking! :D I'm interested with this deal, but I kinda need some extra knowledge from everyone else and maybe some reviews of the replacement suspension.

joloy133

Since this is my first bike, I'm not sure what "good" front suspension is. I do notice that my front end dives quite a bit more nowadays compared to when the bike was new. I don't think I'm pulling too hard though. I actually started to master the 2 finger braking! :D I'm interested with this deal, but I kinda need some extra knowledge from everyone else and maybe some reviews of the replacement suspension.
I really noticed the front forks being soft when riding briskly through Hwy 126 from Woodvalley Rd. This is a twisty stretch over the hills entering Napa from Fairfield. Going east on 126 takes you to Lake Berryessa, fun all the way. If you are moving fast there are hairpins along the way that are posted 15 and 25 mph. I haven't bottomed out but I'm only at 60 mph going in and when I break late and trail around it feels like I'm over the wheel like a tricycle and response starts to feel mushy. There is a suspension website that talks about too soft or too hard characteristics, and how to set things up. If you do a search for "motorcycle suspensions" it'll pop up. I'm on a different C so I can't forward it to you at this time..........Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Last edited:

cavscout3

This is my first bike. The front end seems soft and I've had trouble with the rear locking up when braking hard or if the rear tire was cold.

bcultra

This is my first bike. The front end seems soft and I've had trouble with the rear locking up when braking hard or if the rear tire was cold.
You're either to hot into a turn and late scrubbing off speed or your to heavy on the rear brake in a straightaway. Less rear more front when slowing for a curve and no brake while in a curve. You only have so much traction to use up.:)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Superfly

sorry for digging this old thread up but i searched "soft forks" and found this.

I am noticing quite a bit of front end diving on even medium braking. If I just use the front brake from say 40 miles an hour to a stop in regular traffic it feels like so much weight is transferring forward that the steering starts to squirm. If I use the rear brake as well its def better but I'm wondering if this is normal for this bike. Dont get me wrong I love the smooth ride and it soaks bumps up like a champ but the braking isnt giving me a good feeling. I'd hate to have to really get on the front one. i have the rear set at the stock 3. I'm about 175lbs with my gear and the seat is in the high position...do you think dropping the rear shock to 2 might help? I'm sure the higher seat is making things worse but the leg room is mint :)

Or is this the limitations of the stock fork...and when i bought the bike i said "who needs fork adjustments anyways" boooooo

Superfly

its the stock fork.. you can crank up the preload, and pray that it helps..
if you mean crank up the preload on the rear to a harder setting wouldnt that encourage weight transfer to the front under braking? And raise the c of g with a higher ride height?

joloy133

turn up the preload on the forks, its the only adjustment they have so it should be pretty easy. :)
Front forks have no external adjustment. Rear spring has the preload adjustment and the effect on ride height from low to high is minimal.