Front suspension shake

efforex

So i was curious if upgrading the springs on the fz6r and oil in the front forks if this would get rid of some of the shake i guess i could call it higher speeds while cornering. By cornering do i mean aggressively i have noticed it a lot more with my pre-load set high in the back the front end just feels a lot more loose i guess im not sure if i am explaining this right. If y'all have any insight for me i would greatly appreciate it.

Crpngdth

i think i know what you are trying to say and assuming my comprehension is correct here is the diggity:

When using a tighter suspension, especially at higher speeds, your wheels are going to lose contact with the ground, albeit for a a very short duration (hopefully), because as we know while surface roads are for the most part "flat" they are not perfectly so.

So any little differentiation in "flatness" will cause usually one or more of the tires to actually leave the surface fora a brief time and the bike will feel jittery to a new or inexperinced rider on a stiff suspension.

As long as your bike is well kept, and your tires have the appropriate rating and tread for what you are using them for, this "jittery feeling" shouldnt cause a problem assuming the road maintains its integrity (i.e. not wet,slick,loose gravel,leaves etc etc.).

So you really have 2 choices. Keep the suspension as it is and become comfortable riding this way, or soften it up a bit so the tires can maintain ground contact throughout. However be warned that riding at high speeds with a "soft" suspension has its downsides as well.

jmo. gl and happy riding. :)

efforex

i think i know what you are trying to say and assuming my comprehension is correct here is the diggity:

When using a tighter suspension, especially at higher speeds, your wheels are going to lose contact with the ground, albeit for a a very short duration (hopefully), because as we know while surface roads are for the most part "flat" they are not perfectly so.

So any little differentiation in "flatness" will cause usually one or more of the tires to actually leave the surface fora a brief time and the bike will feel jittery to a new or inexperinced rider on a stiff suspension.

As long as your bike is well kept, and your tires have the appropriate rating and tread for what you are using them for, this "jittery feeling" shouldnt cause a problem assuming the road maintains its integrity (i.e. not wet,slick,loose gravel,leaves etc etc.).

So you really have 2 choices. Keep the suspension as it is and become comfortable riding this way, or soften it up a bit so the tires can maintain ground contact throughout. However be warned that riding at high speeds with a "soft" suspension has its downsides as well.

I went ahead and bought the 1kg springs and I'm going to do 20wt fork oil I'm also around 280 so I hope this helps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Chucker

I'm around 195LB, and I put in 1.0 kg/mm Race Tech springs with 15W oil. I also added a 19.6 kg/mm spring on the rear. I have no jittery feeling in corners and I do 4+ track days per year. I would say that the feeling you're experiencing is because you're too heavy for the stock springs. The right springs with the right amount of preload (to give around 25mm of sag) will make the world of difference. Heavier oil makes a big difference as well. You'll also notice the front end doesn't dive during hard breaking.

You should consider replacing the rear spring. It will allow you to set your preload at 3-5, which will allow the spring to do it's job with the right amount of travel. If you crank your stock spring to 7, you use up a lot of travel and it doesn't work the way it's intended to.

efforex

I'm around 195LB, and I put in 1.0 kg/mm Race Tech springs with 15W oil. I also added a 19.6 kg/mm spring on the rear. I have no jittery feeling in corners and I do 4+ track days per year. I would say that the feeling you're experiencing is because you're too heavy for the stock springs. The right springs with the right amount of preload (to give around 25mm of sag) will make the world of difference. Heavier oil makes a big difference as well. You'll also notice the front end doesn't dive during hard breaking.

You should consider replacing the rear spring. It will allow you to set your preload at 3-5, which will allow the spring to do it's job with the right amount of travel. If you crank your stock spring to 7, you use up a lot of travel and it doesn't work the way it's intended to.
How much did you have to spend to do the rear spring.

DragonBlu

Could you explain just a bit about your last sentence? I am not questioning you,just curious.

Crpngdth

sent you a pm for the long answer heres the short answer imo.

too soft a suspension on the street will kill your suspension (just as one set to hard) and or lead to accidents exiting turns. only people with proper knowledge of suspensions should be making these adjustments on a 2 wheeled vehicle or else you are just asking for a problem, especially if your intention is to ride hard on the street. leave it to a track, and your suspension to a proper professional. again, this is just my opinion because i dont like to see people become statistics.

Chucker

How much did you have to spend to do the rear spring.
I don't remember the exact price for the rear spring, but I got them all from Race Tech and it was around $300 all in. I did end up taking the rear shock assembly to the dealer to swap the spring because I couldn't find a spring compressor to fit. I think that was $45.

efforex

sent you a pm for the long answer heres the short answer imo.

too soft a suspension on the street will kill your suspension (just as one set to hard) and or lead to accidents exiting turns. only people with proper knowledge of suspensions should be making these adjustments on a 2 wheeled vehicle or else you are just asking for a problem, especially if your intention is to ride hard on the street. leave it to a track, and your suspension to a proper professional. again, this is just my opinion because i dont like to see people become statistics.
Well i agree and if i was made of money i would do this route. I am way to heavy for this bike and its intended shock and spring set up. So mainly I am upgrading the front and I guess the rear since its not much more because of the dive one while braking is unnerving, plus I can tell there is a middle mark where the suspension is working when i sit on it. So when i ride aggressively it has to be working at the end of its limits and the middle and i personally don't find that safe. I tried to explain this the best i could sorry if it is cofusing

HOWEVER i would like to be the first one for the input cause i do read it and take it seriously.

SAFE-T

Step 1: Ride Slower
Step 2: Take a Performance Riding Class
Step 3: Set up your suspension properly once you know what you are doing