Front Cowling?

Cartee

So for whatever reason the guy who hit me, his insurance wont cover my front cowling or headlight... covered anythign else though so I'm not sure whats really going on.

Anyone have a cowling sitting around I could buy or were I could get one cheap?

bmw675

that doesn't make any sense.

are they saying that he couldn't cause any damage to that part of the bike?

Cartee

No.. the shop called me and said the bike was done, I picked it up and realized that they didnt replace the cowling, as well and the brake pedal. I got a bit upset and they replaced the pedal. They "Called" insurance later that day but never called me back.. so I called them and they said insurance wont cover it. Which is bullshit. I mean total dmg was like $2800. The cowling needs to be replaced though.. I can live with the scratches on the headlight for now. . . Idk why they wouldnt cover it because it definetly happened in the crash. I will call in the morning I guess... If I knew they wouldnt cover it I probably wouldve totalled the bike..

Wish this stuff would just get over with

CrazyCawi

sounds like the shop is trying to keep some profit and cutting corners. screw them, id ruin em for every dollar they had if they want to play that game!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bakkenlab

Call your insurance!!! I hit a deer and my front cowling broke, brought it to the shop and they did an estimate and state farm covered it. There not cheap (540) for mine from the shop, so i would call insurance and ask WTF is going on

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

iSpoolin

I'd be raising some hell at that shop, cutting corners is a no-no when it comes to buisness!

JSP

Super Moderator
Why would you let them get away with this???? Call the insurance and raise hell! If they will not cover the damages caused by the person that hit you, CALL A LAWYER!

You should have no cost WHAT SO EVER out of your pocket and that bike should be fixed AS GOOD AS IT WAS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT.

Please dont let these asshats pull one over on you... :mad:

Cartee

Ive been raising some serious hell with them. Here is an update.

I called the shop and they told me that the adjuster told them they could not/would not replace the headlight along with the front fairing/cowling. They never told me that he said that, so I went ahead and said to do the repair.

I called insurance and was not able to get ahold of the adjuster as he is out doing inspections. I should hear from him tomorrow morning though. I talked to the agent of the guy's insurance who hit me and said that EVERYTHING should be replaced or else it would just be totalled.

I really hope that I dont have to just live with this broken cowling..

I will be reporting them to the BBB and doing my best to talk to a lawyer and see what I can get done, his insurance even has given me a rental car for over a month now... Really hope this works out.

Thanks for all the posts, I will keep you all updated as more information comes.

Cartee

So the appraiser called me earlier than expecting, they beleive that the damamge couldnt have been caused from the crash... so now what do I do? Can I lawyer even do anything?

JSP

Super Moderator
So the appraiser called me earlier than expecting, they beleive that the damamge couldnt have been caused from the crash... so now what do I do? Can I lawyer even do anything?

Bullshit... Did your bike fall down? If it did not, then it may be hard to prove.... If it did then I dont see how they can claim it did not cause the damage. I wasnt there, but you know how it happened. Write down exactly how the crash happened and how the bike was damaged so its fresh in your head and you dont stumble on your words.

You can fight them. There is damage to your bike and they are trying to flake out of fixing it. Yes a lawyer would indeed help. Tell the insurance you do not agree with their inspection and findings at all and that the damage was no way there before the accident. Tell them if this does not get handled immediately then they will be hearing from your lawyer. A lawyer can send a very simple yet VERY effective letter to the insurance agency that will most likely scare them into doing it without any further action. It will cost them a lot more to fight a lawyer. Should not cost you more than $100 for a lawyer to send out a letter... Call around and ask a few and see what they say.

CrazyCawi

Jay is spot on, he said exactly what I would do and have done. I was in your situ but only with a car...and as soon as the lawyer had the letter sent, within 48 hours the full repairs were made no questions asked. Its their job to SAVE the ins company money, they will push and try to cut everywhere they can when they pay out a claim, its up to you to keep them honest or they wont bat an eye twice and raking you over the coals.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Cartee

Thanks, this lawyer is coming for free to see what we can do, actually a good friend of mine. I still have to talk to the insurance commission tomorrow. I can always have my insurance help but then I'm just spending more out of pocket money anyway to pay for that. so I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

CrazyCawi

1800-ask-gary

Cartee

This shit is so messed up...
Get this:

The appraiser just called me and said that he never told them to not replace that part, and again the part was not even included in my Crash Estimate....... Its going to be replaced by insurance and I'm either pressing on them for this with a lawyer or getting free gear. :)

Either way, thanks for the help guys.