Front brake glitch/failure

Richy

The oddest thing happened to me today while I was stuck in stop and go traffic. I popped into first gear started to accelerate and my bike jumps forward a bit as if my clutch or gear wasn't fully engaged and just slipped in. I didn't think much of it and and continued forward. Then I had to come to a quick stop (within a second of the jump). I reach for my front brake and there was no pressure! It didn't work at all! Luckily I usually stop with both brakes so I just applied more pressure to the rear. But if I was coming to a more aggressive stop I would have been screwed. After coming to a full stop I let go of the front brake fully and pressed it again and everything was back to normal. I checked my fluid level and it looks good. I have no idea what happened. Has anyone out there experienced this before or has any insight?

Thanks,

Rich

Spunky99

I'd flush the fluid and bleed the brakes pronto.....

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

Sounds odd, but I'd have to agree bleed and the system, maybe there is some contaminant on the brake pads, grease or oil. I'd inspect them and clean them with brake clean or alcohol.

You need that front brake to be able to engage and quick.

Stupid cager pulled out in front of me (making a left hand turn) on my way home, didn't leave me an out. I had to snatch the front brake, didn't get enough pressure on the back in time and smashed my junk into the tank. Not happy about that pain, but happy I was able to stop the bike in time.

Don't play around with a sloppy front brake!!

Just my 2 cents....
I think every Hodaka Ace 90/100 had the back of the tank smashed in from the junk. I wonder if any FZ6R has this tank dent yet...You would be the first...LOL:D

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Spunky99

I have a solution for ya....

Richy

Thanks for the info all.

It was very odd and it's only happened that one time. Other than that the brakes have been very responsive thus far. I'm due for my first maintenance in 100 kilometers which should happen by this weekend. I was going to do it myself, but I think I'll take it in and pay the $180 first service and have them bleed the brake lines. Brakes are not something I want to have fail, ever.

Spunky99

Thanks for the info all.

It was very odd and it's only happened that one time. Other than that the brakes have been very responsive thus far. I'm due for my first maintenance in 100 kilometers which should happen by this weekend. I was going to do it myself, but I think I'll take it in and pay the $180 first service and have them bleed the brake lines. Brakes are not something I want to have fail, ever.
The $180.00 does not cover bleeding the brakes. Look at your owner's manual and the maintenance schedule.
They will test the brakes by pulling the lever as you have done and say it's OK. Maybe they will even do hard stop testing. Even if you describe the problem to them, they will not flush the system and bleed the brakes. They will charge you if they do this as testing will not indicate a bleed needed.
In my book, this problem is a deal killer....there is no way I would want to ride a bike with iffy front brakes. I had to remove my front brake lever while pulled over on a freeway and rode about 10 miles with only the rear brake. I knew I had no front brake so I knew the difficulty in stopping. To have an intermittant front brake is is absolutely unacceptable. This is a worse case scenario for a motorcycle.
At least make sure they write down the exact problem in the work order you described. That way when you get killed, your family will have grounds to sure the dealer and Yamaha for allowing this motorcycle on the road.
I'm not kidding...keep a copy of the work order at your home where it can be found by your surviving family. Also don't take anyone for a ride on this bike....:eek:

FitZ6R

The only time I've seen intermittent brake failure, it was due to a bad master cylinder.

Richy

The $180.00 does not cover bleeding the brakes. Look at your owner's manual and the maintenance schedule.
They will test the brakes by pulling the lever as you have done and say it's OK. Maybe they will even do hard stop testing. Even if you describe the problem to them, they will not flush the system and bleed the brakes. They will charge you if they do this as testing will not indicate a bleed needed.
In my book, this problem is a deal killer....there is no way I would want to ride a bike with iffy front brakes. I had to remove my front brake lever while pulled over on a freeway and rode about 10 miles with only the rear brake. I knew I had no front brake so I knew the difficulty in stopping. To have an intermittant front brake is is absolutely unacceptable. This is a worse case scenario for a motorcycle.
At least make sure they write down the exact problem in the work order you described. That way when you get killed, your family will have grounds to sure the dealer and Yamaha for allowing this motorcycle on the road.
I'm not kidding...keep a copy of the work order at your home where it can be found by your surviving family. Also don't take anyone for a ride on this bike....:eek:
You're absolutely right. It's definitely something I want fixed, even though it has only happened once. Then again 900km is nothing. Thanks again for the advice!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Richy

I've been thinking about your issue since yesterday and it hit me last night... That problem occur on race cars at very hight speed track. What happen is with the vibration of the floating brake rotors, the rotors push the brake pads away. Then on the first pump there's nothing! As you pump, the pads goes again the rotors and the pressure back in the pedal. To fix the problem, we use knock back springs behind the pistons in the caliper. They comes in 2,4 and 7 lbs.

In your case maybe it was just some debris stuck on the rotor? Check if your rotors are warp or damage. or look at the leading edge of the pads, look if there's any sign of damage. Other than that??? If there's no leak and the brake feel ok now... keep riding
Perhaps the initial jerk I felt pushed the rotors back? It was an odd feeling and I suspect the two problems are related. Almost felt like the engine choked and was about to cut out but then lunged forward as it reengaged.

Spunky99

Perhaps the initial jerk I felt pushed the rotors back? It was an odd feeling and I suspect the two problems are related. Almost felt like the engine choked and was about to cut out but then lunged forward as it reengaged.
I don't buy it.....