found a screw in my rear tire!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

latony007

there was just a big thread about this. With some pretty heated opinions. If your tires have 4k (about half life) and are starting to dry rot I say replace them no question about it. You could probably patch it and ride for a couple days while ordering tires etc. but I would keep the speeds low and replace them as soon as feasible. thats just me. I have a cruiser I just bought that had 2000 miles on it but was an 05 so the tires are 9 years old. The tires look perfect except for a micro crack or two in the sidewall but I decided to replace them anyway. The tire is the only part of the bike (or car) that touches the ground and should be top priority. Hopefully my wife ordered them (birthday last week) and I should be going in on sat to have them done.

Fizzer6R

that screw might not be that bad, depending on how long it is... however I can see the rubber splitting even in that pic = replace em.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Patching a motorcycle tire isn't necessarily dangerous, but it can be in the wrong circumstance. In your case, the screw is pretty close to the edge. Compound that with the dry rot issue and the apparent wear on the tire and I would recommend replacement. If cash is tight right now just find a half decent cheap tire for now and run it. If you come in to some cash later you can always pull it and keep it for a spare. Either way, by the time you pay to patch it compared to the life left in that tire (provided it can even be patched, which is a maybe with the screw that close to the edge of the tire) you are money ahead to just replace the tire. It would be cheaper overall if the screw just wasn't there, but $hit happens. Give me a call and I'll tell you all about my bad luck. In the end it will still be cheaper than driving your cage.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

the biggest issue i have with that is, most shops in my area have a policy of not mounting tires that were not purchased at there shop. for example i have a $50 gift card to bike bandit, if i order my tires from BB the shops around the corner from me won't install them :-/ id like pilot pro 3's but honestly dont know if thats the type of tire i "need".... and if there is something comparable in quality i have no clue i have never been on the tire market for bike tires, only cages.
One option is to get a car tyre workshop to change them over.
I know car tire places can do it in rural areas with all the kids on dirt bikes.
Depends how much the motorbike shops are charging for the same thing I suppose.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

i think thats odd about the shops. Most of the places around here said they would mount tires i brought in. They did want more for bringing in the bike vs. the wheels and it might have been 15$ more per tire if you didnt buy from them i cant remember. But i am just buying michellin commander ii for my cruiser and i called my local suzuki dealer told him the price i could get them online for and he came within 20$ so to be able to go down the street vs. dealing with shipping and everything seemed worth the $20. i only have 3500 miles on my fz but everyone says those Q3 are the s*** so i will probably save up for those when i am ready.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

jon if a local shop gives a hard time, then kindly say well if I could get a deal on tires even close to what I can online, then I would buy here. who knows, they might cut a discount.

have you searched your local craigslist for anyone there that does moto repairs? sometimes just making contacts will produce a lead for you if they don't mount tires. also have you checked to see if there are any local bike forums in your area? most major cities and surrounding areas will have friends of friends etc.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

whelp if you can't use the $50 bike bandit gift card, maybe you can sell it to someone for $45

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member