Fork seals and warranty

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if fork seals are covered under the Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) warranty? I was getting ready to ride to work and noticed the left fork is leaking. I know it should be an easy fix, but I don't currently have the time or a hoist to lift the front end to get the forks off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yillbs

Does anyone know if fork seals are covered under the Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) warranty? I was getting ready to ride to work and noticed the left fork is leaking. I know it should be an easy fix, but I don't currently have the time or a hoist to lift the front end to get the forks off.

It's normal wear and tear ( for the oil ), now, the leaking part, no. They would probably fix it for you and put the oil back in because of the leak. Don't let them tell you otherwise! If it's leaking, then it's under warranty. If you replaced something that has ANY relation to the forks, they will tell you no, they won't fix it because you did. So if you do, remove it first, put it back to stock and then head over to the dealer.

yillbs

I don't know about the YES warranty, but most manufacturer warranties don't cover fork seals, as they're considered a "consumable" like brake pads and tires.
Breakpads, and tire tread, and clutch pads are all consumable. However, If you buy a brand new bike and the tires go bad, then it's covered. If you buy a new bike and the clutch is slipping.. they fix it. Same with the fork seals. Granted, I don't know how old the bike is. But if it was recently purchased and it's leaking then it should be covered. I don't think they even have to be replaced until what, 12k miles?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Breakpads, and tire tread, and clutch pads are all consumable. However, If you buy a brand new bike and the tires go bad, then it's covered. If you buy a new bike and the clutch is slipping.. they fix it. Same with the fork seals. Granted, I don't know how old the bike is. But if it was recently purchased and it's leaking then it should be covered. I don't think they even have to be replaced until what, 12k miles?
This definitely isn't a new bike, 2009 with over 28,000 miles on her. I'll give the dealership a call and verify on Tuesday. I just don't have the time to get to fixing it for a couple weeks.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

yillbs

I had a fork seal leak about a month after I purchased my bike (back in 2009).

The dealership gave me a "hard way to go" and I had to put up a HUGE fight, but they did cover it. Keep in mind I had just over 100 miles on the bike. I was completely amazed that they even balked at covering the seal on a brand new bike.

In my opinion, I don't think they are going to cover it, but its worth asking...
28000 miles heh.. That's not going to happen. BUT. you CAN say that you had them replaced at 100 miles when it was brand spankin new.. Try to work with that and tell them it's rather appaling it had to be done then. "clearly there is something wrong with the seals on this bike " , even if there isn't. Make them feel like you are in charge. It probably won't work, expecially with that many miles. But, it's worth a shot!

EDIT : that wasn't for you then.. I thought you posted, but it was blue sun.. so just ignore me. you won't be getting them to replace the fork seals on an 09 with 28000 miles on it :(

bleedinblue

Elite Member

B][GT

As a service manager for the local Yamaha dealership I know that all warranties are approved by our local warranty rep. I send in all the information, km, vin, problem, etc etc and then they give me a thumbs up, or thumbs down. If the bikes one of mine, ie bought from the store, and i felt warranty wouldn't cover it, like in Blue-Sun case, "I" as the service manager would have done a goodwill case, and fixed the problem, splitting the bill between the service department & sales, to keep the customer happy with A) the brand & B) my service shop.

But.. that's my shop, and how i would have dealt with it. If you have any questions on labor time & parts let me know.

Riccochet

Keep the forks clean and change the fluid often. A little maintenance goes a long way. Still have the original seals in my 03 CR125 and 04 CR250.

SoCal600

ii had my right fork seal leaking around 46k miles. i bought two seals (in case the left one started leaking) and a 32 ounce bottle of belray 10w oil. Factory fill i believe is 5w, 10w is a tad bit better IMO. I bought a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and cut it in halve and used it as a home made seal driver. Drain the oil out on both sides and poured 16oz in each fork. Currently have 53,879 on the bike as of tonight. A few too many wheelies on these basic forks.... something had to give :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

yillbs

B][GT;415218 said:
As a service manager for the local Yamaha dealership I know that all warranties are approved by our local warranty rep. I send in all the information, km, vin, problem, etc etc and then they give me a thumbs up, or thumbs down. If the bikes one of mine, ie bought from the store, and i felt warranty wouldn't cover it, like in Blue-Sun case, "I" as the service manager would have done a goodwill case, and fixed the problem, splitting the bill between the service department & sales, to keep the customer happy with A) the brand & B) my service shop.

But.. that's my shop, and how i would have dealt with it. If you have any questions on labor time & parts let me know.
Kindly move your shop to texas please :)

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Riccochet

I might also add that changing your fork oil often will save you a lot of headaches. :) My CR125 has probably seen more abuse than 12 people on here with the highest miles. And I'm not easy on my dirt bikes. They see hard trails, tracks and double/triple jumps. Not having a seal go bad is easy to do with proper maintenance.

My 125 after I did a frame off rebuild. Still rocking 10 year old fork seals. :)

03 CR125 - YouTube

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Washed the bike last night, cleaned the forks and around the seals. I will keep an eye on whether it wants to still leak.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

ajones70

I just used some old film (negative strip) to clean all around my seals... The feed holes in the film trapped some debris, so it could be easily removed.

THIS IS A GREAT TIP!!!

Thank you so much for sharing it.
Soooo my hubby has the 2011 Fazor8....yesterday he noticed some oil on the garage floor and down the forks. Cant get it in with dealers till mid Sept.
Told him about using negative to clean it. He did and no sign of oil yet. Keeping everything crossed its ok and doesnt need to go to dealer. He had it brand new 3 months ago and has put 3k on it. Will post again with update....