Forget everything I said about needing a touring windscreen

sammy56

I updated my helmet last week to a Shoei RF-1000 and wow, what a difference at speed. For the past two years I have been riding with an HJC CL-15 helmet, but I guess it does not channel the wind nearly as well (for me). I do have the Yamaha Double Bubble windscreen and I no longer feel like forces (at speed greater than 70 mph) are pushing me backwards.
With just a slight tilt of my head at various speeds, the wind is a non issue...I still can't believe it. 80 mph, 85 mph....I could ride all day!!
I will however need to be more diligent at using earplugs if I plan on riding the highways for any length of time, but that should have been the case all along for me.
Like everything else, you get what you pay for. I guess I just never appreciated this with respect to helmets before....I do now.

W

whatever

why do you need ear plugs to ride on the highway with this bike ?

sammy56

I suppose you don't for a quick commute, but like anything else, a couple of hours or more and the noise (with any bike/helmet) is just not good for your ear drums. Riding at speed is loud no matter what. If you don't want to damage your hearing (long term) wear earplugs.

W

whatever

does the wind really beat you up on this bike, is the reason because you sitting so upright..

that sounds like a deal breaker ....

sammy56

It ain't the bike.
My previous helmet was catching so much wind (at speeds greater than 70 mph), my head would fight it. It could simply be that the new helmet fits better or that the Shoei RF-1000 is a significantly better helmet than the HJC CL-15, but I am no expert. I just know what I feel.
Regardless, I love the FZ6R and I plan on keeping it for many years and doing many long distance rides with it. For me, the Shoei helmet has simply made an unbelievable difference and I did not realize (before I got it) that it would. Cycle Gear had a great close out on the helmet since Shoei is not making the RF-1000 anymore. My wife has inherited my HJC. As a passenger and a rare one at that, my wife will likely not know the difference. The HJC will probably be a better fit for her than I anyway.

W

whatever

thats funnyi have a hjc cl - 15 helmet and im picking up my bike tues, trading in the ninja 250 so should be sweet to have a little bigger bike.

when you ride and your up to high speed to you slide back on the seat and get behind the screen alittle or do you stay upright.

and will a price of 5149 plus tax i really don t want to pass on a deal like that.

sammy56

I would certainly not want to influence your decision to buy a new bike or not, but for me, the wind had nothing to do with the bike and was all about my helmet.
Your price for the bike is fantastic.
My desired riding position is somewhat upright as I have no desire to ride in a racing style position for long periods of time. If I did, I would have purchased the R6. That being said, I believe you simply need to ride in whatever position is comfortable for you and your bike and gear should compliment it. In my case, I believe I have finally found the right mix. My last bike was a naked SV650, so I experienced (with my old helmet) the same wind effects. I was expecting the fairing and windscreen to completely resolve all wind issues I was having. I found out (FINALLY) that with my new bike (FZ6R) and a new lid, I have what I was looking for.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Halon

I also hated driving in the hjc cl-15, I upgraded to an arai profile helmet in matte black, aesthetically and aerodynamically much more comfortable. I have the stock windscreen and really have no complaints. No real urge to get the double bubble windscreen. I've even given some thought to shaving the stock windscreen like another member on the forum for the looks.

KenS

Wind is something you have to deal with on pretty much any bike. But some more than others. But like you've realized, your helmet has a huge amount to do with how stable you feel on any bike.

As for ear plugs, it doesn't have anything to do with the sound of the bike. Wind noise is VERY damaging to your ears. Not only the sound, but the pressure that it can place on your eardrums. Ear plugs will help cut this tremendously. Some helmets are quieter than others. But none can cut the noise completely. I almost always wear mine. If I'm hoping on the bike to run to my dads house 3 miles away or to head down to the car show 5 miles away after work, I'll leaver them out. But anything longer than that, and the ear plugs are in.
+1 on this. Wind will damage your ears, not the road noise or cycle noise. Plus, it's much more comfortable when you're riding. Save your ears! Ride safe.