Foot peg asymmetry

csmcmillion

Greetings all. I've been lurking for a while, and this is my first post.

I have a 2013 fz6r and I started doing track days this year. I quickly noticed something strange: I scrape the hell out of the right foot peg/knee puck, but not the left. At first I thought it was just an asymmetry in my body position, but coaches who have followed me have said my body position looks fine, that there is no substantial difference in left vs right body position. My tire wear is symmetric as well - to within about 3/8" of the rim either side.

I really focused on the issue last track day and concluded that the lean angle at which the left peg (threaded peg scrapers removed, of course) makes ground contact is substantially greater than that for the right side. Just didn't make sense...

So, today I did some careful measuring. I pit the bike on stands and established a center line by dropping plumb bobs from the center line of the tires. Then I dropped bobs from the outside edge of the foot pegs and used a square to measure. Turns out, the right foot peg sticks out 12.5" from the center line, but the left side only 11". This obviously translates to a significant delta in lean angles for them to touch down.

WTF? Is this normal for the 6r? For "real" sport bikes as well?

Chucker

That's funny. I've noticed the same on the track, and thought I was just better on right turns as there are more of them on most tracks. Never even considered that the pegs might be different on each side.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

csmcmillion

That's funny. I've noticed the same on the track, and thought I was just better on right turns as there are more of them on most tracks. Never even considered that the pegs might be different on each side.
What do you do with your inside foot? I've been turning mine so my heel is up on the guard and my toe is on the tip of the peg. This helps to keep my boot from dragging and getting pulled off the peg.