Flush Mount Lights = Blown Fuse.... Sigh...

Bigevildoer

Hiya...
Due to my own ineptness, I ended up blowing a fuse today installing my brand new flush mount lights... bummer... :mad:

Simple question for you gurus out there --- The new lights have 2 wires (black, yellow), the stock setup uses 3 and a special plug. Can I simply cut the wire on the stock plug (light end) and splice the new wires onto it? I'm guessing the blacks will have to be tested before having a marrett and electrical tape wrapped around them to make sure I've got the correct one.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm going to get some a new fuse tomorrow (to replace the spare I used) and really don't want to blow any more.

Thanks in advance!

uscgduncan

Tha black wire is the ground or negative wire. The other two are for blinking and running. It's fine to cut the plug off, unless you want to buy the adapters, $4 from newenough.com. You won't use the running light wire so tape it up and secure it. Use a cheap $5 test light from any auto store/walmart to test the wires to find the blinker wire and connect the positive (yellow) wire to it. Hope this helps.

Bigevildoer

Tha black wire is the ground or negative wire. The other two are for blinking and running. It's fine to cut the plug off, unless you want to buy the adapters, $4 from newenough.com. You won't use the running light wire so tape it up and secure it. Use a cheap $5 test light from any auto store/walmart to test the wires to find the blinker wire and connect the positive (yellow) wire to it. Hope this helps.
Well, the factory wires are 2 black, 1 blue as far as I can tell. I'm guessing the blue will go to the yellow, leaving me with 2 factory black and 1 flush mount black. Would it be safe to connect both factory black to the flush black? I don't care if they're lit up all the time - before the fuse blew, when I was testing the one side, they would be on all the time, and blink when I hit the turn signal switch - that doesn't bother me in the least to have it that way.

Went and bought a pack of fuses (5), so if I muck it up again, I won't be cursing too loudly (just enough for the neighbours to hear, but not the street ;) )

SiGPiGomer

Do a write up on how you installed your turnsignals the correct way. I just purchased some today, and are going to install them tonight.:D

Thanks

xplodnstar

Well, the factory wires are 2 black, 1 blue as far as I can tell. I'm guessing the blue will go to the yellow, leaving me with 2 factory black and 1 flush mount black. Would it be safe to connect both factory black to the flush black? I don't care if they're lit up all the time - before the fuse blew, when I was testing the one side, they would be on all the time, and blink when I hit the turn signal switch - that doesn't bother me in the least to have it that way.

Went and bought a pack of fuses (5), so if I muck it up again, I won't be cursing too loudly (just enough for the neighbours to hear, but not the street ;) )
Are you sure there are 2 BLACK wires? One should be BROWN, but it's hard to tell in some lights. Some flush mounts are really easy as they come with a plug that goes right into the stock plug. You don't even have to worry about the 3rd wire because it just isn't connected.