Flat tire - should I change it?

Rat

Hi Friends.
Got flat rear tire yesterday night when was riding in Hocking Hills (Ohio).
Thanks to God when that happened I was about to stop on gas station.
Fixed the hole by using repairing kit (suggest everyone to have this!).

Soon after that - lighting far-far away that i initially considered "very romantic and nice" became heavy t-storm and that bastard caught me on highway.
It started without a "warning" - wind just pushed me in another line!
So got challenge to ride 60 miles in t-storm, night and heavy wind, not mention about repaired tire. Fun. :D

Now, please advise - should I replace the tire? My opinion is "definitely should" even if the hole seems to be repaired.
Has anyone done that by visiting Yamaha dealer? What is appr. price for "tire+work"?

Last edited:

Spunky99

Time to upgrade the tires

DanielW0830

I think I would have found a safe place to wait out the storm.

That reminds me.... Does my AAA do motorcycle pickups?
I think it may vary state to state... but I digress, this should be its own thread. :)

bjs045

That reminds me.... Does my AAA do motorcycle pickups?
I think it may vary state to state... but I digress, this should be its own thread. :)
Yes but you'll have to add the option to your membership. Unsure about cost.

Rat

Thanks for suggestions Guys.
Replaced on the same one.
257 for everything (78 labor, 150 for the tire), Yamaha Dealer (Iron Pony, Westerville, OH).

Rat

I also thought the same.
I noticed nice strong building and stopped there - it seemed so safe on first look...
After that I got my cigarettes but when I looked around - my heart was almost stopped. It was PROPAN station or something like that... :welcome:"Wood fuel", propan canisters and other similar stuff was around me and I was very pleasured to see that in light of crazy lighting around... I ran from that place very fast don't paying attention on wet road.... :D:D:D
After that I decided just ride and don't stop, since it was like 1AM.

Last edited:

MikeN02

Thanks for suggestions Guys.
Replaced on the same one.
257 for everything (78 labor, 150 for the tire), Yamaha Dealer (Iron Pony, Westerville, OH).
I got a mechanic a couple of miles away. He quoted me $30 for a tire change, takes longer than usual because he has to go to his friends tire place to take off the tire from the rim.

About $120 or so for the tire.

So I would have looked around while riding your cager or so.

Sixlets76

New tires -

I also had a flat not too long ago, and swapped out both tires to Pirelli Angels for $240 for both. Best money I spent so far, the stock tires suck big time IMHO. On quick stops I would skid or fishtail. The first 20 miles on these Pirellis it rained. I safely did some quick stops - no skidding not even new tires in the rain.

Roaddawg

I also had a flat not too long ago, and swapped out both tires to Pirelli Angels for $240 for both. Best money I spent so far, the stock tires suck big time IMHO. On quick stops I would skid or fishtail. The first 20 miles on these Pirellis it rained. I safely did some quick stops - no skidding not even new tires in the rain.
You should use your front brake as well!

Rat

I always use both brakes.
I use rear brake only when I'm waiting on traffic lights...
Initially I used both too - but once I was training to brake on a parking lot and saw how easy to lock rear wheel... In emergency "oh shit" case you would lock rear wheel...

Last edited: