First time going down., OUCH!

alh081

Happened this morning.

Left home (weather was a bit misty). After riding 2 blocks, starts to rain (lightly). 3 blocks later, down on the ground.

Happened while i was changing lanes and seem to have slipped on the muni rails while doing so. Probably going about 20-30 mph. Bike skid 2-3 car lenths, i tumbled about 3-4 times. Lady got out of her car where i landed and helped make phone call while a man was making sure i was ok. I was on the floor for about 5 mins. It started pouring rain and i got help getting up while i walked to sit on the sidewalk. a couple guys helped me pick up my bike and park it. Fire fighters came to check on me and made sure i was ok, i didnt wait for ambulance and walked home.

Got home to find rash on my knee and elbow and pain in my hip and shoulder/neck area. Icing it now as im typing this. Just wanted to share. Anyway, gotta rest up.

xleeb0y13x

Bummer. At least you just have a few knocks. I'm in NorCal also. Drove my cage to work last night just in case but the rain just started a bit ago. Nice that folks helped out.

Sent while running with scissors.

anson650

Glad to hear you are ok.
Light rain is more dangerous than a down pour. That first light rain mixes with the crap on the road and can be real slick.
Advil works for me.
Anson

ajones70

Glad to hear your ok!!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Sorry to hear you hurt your baby, and you're not to hurt either!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

VRIIClubby

bad luck mate! Those first bits or rain are dangerous!

Get yourself to a doctor and rest up!

ylwf3vr

Sorry to hear that. But glad you're ok. Yeah first rain sucks cuz the oil rises to the top. When I was in San Fran a car cut me off when I was going about 35.. Wet road so I laid it down. Unfortunately it slammed into a park car while sliding so the front snapped in 2.. I was ok though. Had all my gear on. Just a road rash on my knee. Ride safe!

alh081

thanks guys!
here are some pics of the damage. *cell phone pics*

helmet:

exhaust:

frame slider, fairing, bolt (majority of the damage):

signal:

brake lever:

BKP

Glad to hear you're (relatively) good...
Sorry about the down...

JonKerr

Elite Member

alh081

Glad you're OK. Just shows it can happen anywhere. Especially with sketchy conditions. Frame slider seems to have done it's job well. Make sure you replace that helmet. Not safe anymore.
yeah, frame sliders definitely helped. as for the helmet, i have heard that ppl say to replace the helmet after impact. But since this one was a scrape and not a direct impact, does that mean i should still change it?

anticsd

depends how hard you hit the pavement with your helm. Usually you should replace them when in doubt because of the lining in the shell absorb most of the impact (You really can't see or notice it unless you rip it out)

JonKerr

Elite Member

WABFZ1

alh081:
You mentioned some muni tracks. I suppose you are referring to steel rails used for a train or trolly car.

For future reference, those need to be avoided, and if you have to cross them, then do so at a right angle to their length. Traveling parallel to their length, and trying to cross rails, especially when wet - I almost certain to sweep your motorcycle out from under you.