First Service Guide

Your owners manual has a list of everything at every mileage check.
Thanks I read that portion of the manual but it was my understanding that when you bring your bike to the Dealer for the first service they "check the torque on particular bolts". Not sure if this is BS to charge consumer extra money or if there is a dealer guide to do this or general bike guide.

This is my first time working on a bike as I only worked on my cars before.

Anybody with the service manual care to check if special instructions or anybody with general bike knowledge let me know what bolts to check. I don't want to fool around or potentially loosen the front fork bolts or something.

oyamyers

Thanks I read that portion of the manual but it was my understanding that when you bring your bike to the Dealer for the first service they "check the torque on particular bolts". Not sure if this is BS to charge consumer extra money or if there is a dealer guide to do this or general bike guide.

This is my first time working on a bike as I only worked on my cars before.

Anybody with the service manual care to check if special instructions or anybody with general bike knowledge let me know what bolts to check. I don't want to fool around or potentially loosen the front fork bolts or something.
I had my first service done at the dealer. You are right. They "check" a lot of things to add time so they can bill us more. I will post a list of everything they did.

oyamyers

I had my first service done at the dealer. You are right. They "check" a lot of things to add time so they can bill us more. I will post a list of everything they did.
First Service:

Replaced engine oil and filter
inspected wheel bearings, steering head bearings and wheel alignment
inspected battery
inspected and adjusted chain and sprockets
inspected headlight, tail light, and break light
inspected turn signals and horn
inspected control switches and side stand switch
inspected coolent system (my clamp was loose) tightend clamp
inspected chassi bolts and fasteners for tightness lubed pivot points and adjusted cluch and throttle freeply
test rode the bike.

As you can see they "Inspected" many things that any rider can check themselves. I'm sure they added an hour of labor to look at my lights and horn.

Hope this helps.

Comiha22

I must admit I was one of "those guys" who paid for 1st Service during the bike purchase. I took it in last Saturday for the 1st service, and I must say it felt brand-spanking-new again. Granted, I only had 650 miles on it at the time, but shifting/braking/etc was much, much crisper. I'd like to think they did some actual work, but who really knows :)

cbzdel

I did my first service myself.. I changed the oil and lubed the chain.. I give the bike "mini" inspections every couple days..

I need to check the chain adjustment next..

And also add some lube so whatever needs lubing haha..

Oh and I need the CarbSync tool so I can Sync my Throttle bodies

So much to do so little time :(

First Service:

Replaced engine oil and filter
inspected wheel bearings, steering head bearings and wheel alignment
inspected battery
inspected and adjusted chain and sprockets
inspected headlight, tail light, and break light
inspected turn signals and horn
inspected control switches and side stand switch
inspected coolent system (my clamp was loose) tightend clamp
inspected chassi bolts and fasteners for tightness lubed pivot points and adjusted cluch and throttle freeply
test rode the bike.

As you can see they "Inspected" many things that any rider can check themselves. I'm sure they added an hour of labor to look at my lights and horn.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I will do this weekend. I guess I'll remove all the fairings to check the chassis bolts.

JonKerr

Elite Member
I have a lot of friends who are auto mechanics at dealerships. They run into a lot of customers complaining about the same thing. "What do you mean inspected?" "Can't I just do that myself?" The fact is yes, you could do it yourself. But these guys do this for a living and see these bikes every day. They're going to notice the little things you may miss. A slightly stretched cable, slightly loose throttle, maybe a little slop in the brake or shift lever, etc... You've been riding the bike every day so you're not always going to notice little things like that over a bit of time. Just like when you live with someone, you don't notice changes in them as much as someone who only see them every couple of months. I plan on using the dealership and their expertise as much as I can.
I can understand using dealer expertise when trouble shooting but I always have the feeling that no one is going to care for things like you can. By doing some things yourself you learn and be able to do that little bit extra. Dealers get a bad rap because numerous times inspections get overlooked and you have to pay upfront. It just seems that their out to get your money. When I go to dealer's I don't pay for the inspections I get specifics like oil changes, tranny fluid etc. I refuse the type A to Z format. Did you know the current service advisors only take a 6month course and act like their experts. When sears had service before they would record the existing air pressure of each tire and then mark how much they filled it. I thought to myself wow thats great and over time I can look back and see if any tire has more loss than the other. They did this with wheel alignment as well and I ended up replacing a tie rod the next visit as one wheel was more off than the other. With service like that I have no problems supporting. I don't see dealers going the extra bit. Anyway I have too many comments.

JonKerr

Elite Member