First service - dealer or DIY?

dekaliber

Seems like the first service is just an oil change, some lubrication, and a bunch of inspection. I'm comfortable doing this by myself, but this is my first bike and my eyes certainly wouldn't be as experienced as someone who works on bikes all day. I'm guessing they'll be more likely to catch something that can potentially affect safety or longevity if left unfixed. That said, I'd probably be a lot more careful working on my own bike vs. someone else, and it's more convenient to be able to do everything at home rather than dropping it off and picking it up.

What have others done? I'm inclined to go the dealer route for the first service, but I'd be curious what others think. Anyone recommend a good dealer in the Chicagoland area?

anson650

I've had a couple of new bikes and I have always let the dealer where I bought the bike do the first service.
Anson

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Seems like the first service is just an oil change, some lubrication, and a bunch of inspection. I'm comfortable doing this by myself, but this is my first bike and my eyes certainly wouldn't be as experienced as someone who works on bikes all day. I'm guessing they'll be more likely to catch something that can potentially affect safety or longevity if left unfixed. That said, I'd probably be a lot more careful working on my own bike vs. someone else, and it's more convenient to be able to do everything at home rather than dropping it off and picking it up.

What have others done? I'm inclined to go the dealer route for the first service, but I'd be curious what others think. Anyone recommend a good dealer in the Chicagoland area?
If you want it done right learn to do it yourself!

Cordoba78

just make sure it doesnt void your warranty if you do it yourself, thats only reason my first service goes to the dealer

JSP

Super Moderator
They cannot void your warranty by law if you do your own work... They have to PROVE what you did messed something up or prove you didnt do something.

Just keep your receipts and you are fine. Save the money. DIY

They cannot void your warranty by law if you do your own work... They have to PROVE what you did messed something up or prove you didnt do something.

Just keep your receipts and you are fine. Save the money. DIY
heh, i work as a mechanic in a dealership. maybe in the bike world this is true but thats a load of bs with vehicles. if its not done at a warranty approved garage your warranty is in the shitter:banghead:

flyingminno

I did my first service on my bike myself. Now almost 2 years later and 15,000+ miles, no issues with the bike. I think you should have no problem yourself if you change the oil and check the torque values of the bike accurately.

JSP

Super Moderator
heh, i work as a mechanic in a dealership. maybe in the bike world this is true but thats a load of bs with vehicles. if its not done at a warranty approved garage your warranty is in the shitter:banghead:
Then you are breaking the law. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Straight from the FTC...

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?

FTC Consumer Alert

• Email

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs:
Is Using the Dealer a Must?

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.
What is a warranty?
A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.
Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.
Will using 'aftermarket' parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues

Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

• Read your warranty. Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online. Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website.
  • Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.
  • Service your car at regular intervals. This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.
  • Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service. This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.
  • Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, local Better Business Bureau, or the FTC.
For More Information

Visit ftc.gov for free information on buying, financing, leasing, renting and maintaining vehicles.
The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. Watch a video, How to File a Complaint, at ftc.gov/video to learn more. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.
So WHO are you a mechanic for?

Heineken

Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Damn this thread was just what I've been needing. I can't believe my fathers done all those oil changes at Toyota when he could have been saving SO much money. I understand taking the car/bike in for something that you can't do yourself, but wow thank you everyone!

The ONLY reason I've been thinking about taking it to the Dealer is in order to keep my warranty. I'm an aircraft mechanic though, unless I don't have the tool, I should be able to do most of it...

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
not sure the FTC has authority over Canada :confused:
lol

Well that would have been a good point for him to point out then...! :rolleyes: Bike world/vehicle world threw me off. It should have been "maybe in the US, but not Canada".

And im not searching for Canada law right now... :banghead:

SO. In the US OF A.... YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN WORK AND NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY! Thank you. :D

Well that would have been a good point for him to point out then...! :rolleyes: Bike world/vehicle world threw me off. It should have been "maybe in the US, but not Canada".

And im not searching for Canada law right now... :banghead:

SO. In the US OF A.... YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN WORK AND NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY! Thank you. :D
lol the biggest differences between canada/us are:
canada=free healthcare
usa=not

canada=cant sue for anything
usa=can sue for anything

canada=everything is more expensive
usa=lucky bastards get everything cheaper

canada=very strict rules and regulations regarding vehicles, hell even house repairs and electrical. if any unticketed journeyman does electrical work or carpentry or works on your car, or anything like that and the right people find out your house will be seized and deemed unsafe until fixed by a legitimate journeyman. do i agree with this? to a point... if its done improperly. but if they know what their doing then i see no problem with this.
usa=everyone is a diy'er

Roaddawg

When I went down to my dealer (now out of business) and asked about the first service....the mechanics there said I can do it myself, just save the receipts and note it in the service book and it will be fine. All it is is a basic oil change and check everything for tightness/adjustment. If your comfortable doing it yourself, save yourself $500+. I've done all the work myself and have over 25K miles with no problems. Search the "how-to" section for oil change, spark plugs....I'd rather save the money for mods and gear than throw it to the stealerships. :cool:

with a bike where you only get 1-2 years of warranty anyway hell ya im doing my own, lol. but like i said itll probably void my warranty but my bike is at the yamaha shop for the 4th time right now trying to identify a squeek in the front end at 3k rpm that nothing seems to fix. their service has been the shits and will never deal with them again they told me plastic rattles get over it the first time i was in and i went on a verbal rambo rampage.:mad:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dekaliber

Thanks everyone. Money is not a huge concern -- I think it'll end up being $150 at a dealer. Mostly I just don't want to not notice something inspecting it myself and have it turn into a bigger problem later. I'd definitely do the future services myself, but the first service seems to be the most critical. Who knows if the person putting my bike together could have missed something.

At the same time, I do almost everything I can on my car myself, so maybe I should learn. Is there a service manual out there that the dealers use that I could buy?