First post from MS

AngryAnt

Hi guys, I been lurking here for the last couple of weeks, thought I'd say hello.

I go to pick up my first "real" bike on Saturday from Louisiana, a new 2009 FZ6R in Yamaha Blue. I've got the roaring toyz lowering kit and kickstand in hand that they'll install before I leave the dealership with it, and I'll be installing frame sliders and bar sliders as soon as I get home before it even leaves the garage. I need to pick up a tank protector too, as I'm super paranoid about doing damage to it, and I know its inevitable as a newb I'll be dropping it.

I know most people buy used, but I had my heart set on a Ninja 650 or FZ6R in blue and found neither used within reasonable driving distance, and got this one out the door for about what most people are asking for low-miles 600cc bikes anyway.

My current bike is a 275cc chinese knock-off of the Honda silverwing, and I promised myself that if I got the endorsement, and drove it back and forth to work everyday for a year with no accidents or near misses I'd upgrade to something I really wanted, and here I am! I'm a little nervous going from a automatic to a 6-speed, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it with enough parking lot time.

In terms of gear I'm using a HJC helmet: IS-Max Bluetooth HJC IS-Max Bluetooth Helmet - Silver | Helmet City
and a tour master textile jacket. I know the gear probably isn't the best, but I'll be looking for recommendations from you guys what I should be buying, as I don't have any riding buddies to ask about gear :)

Anyway, lengthy intro, but look forward to posting first pics of the bike this weekend, and getting it on the road next week!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Very good intro :) Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and welcome to the community!

Proudly atgatt!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

AngryAnt

Uno - I'm from the Hattiesburg area.

I did (partially) take a MSF course offered right here in Hattiesburg last summer before buying my last bike. I learned a lot, but I didn't finish the entire course because I didn't have the heat tolerance to stand on (and walk) cruisers around in a parking lot for 8 hours when the heat index was 110 degrees outside :eek:

I still got a lot out of it, but I intend on going back sometime closer to winter to retake it - I'm a software engineer, so as you can imagine I don't quite have the tolerance for heat/sunlight most people do when I'm riding less than 15 mph.

The main thing I'm worried about - which happened with my first bike - is that I live in a neighborhood with the most ridiculous hills I've just about ever seen. I had to learn to ride my bike making turns onto hills with probably a 35 degree incline - and of course I dropped it a time or two. Hopefully the frame sliders will help prevent any major damage to the fairings if that happens this time around, I've read that bike can be a little top heavy.

Anybody know about what kind of inseam you need to flat-foot the FZ6R with the 1.75" roaring toyz lowering kit? I've got about a 29"-29.5" inseam (5'5", 140lbs), and just tip-toe the bike I've got now. I've been reading about seat mods, I might have mine carved if I still have problems flat footing.

3 days left until I go pick it up! I'm getting antsy!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

AngryAnt

you should be able to flat foot with no lowering kit installed. I have a 32" inseam and can put my feet out pretty far. Did you sit on the bike, with the boots you will be wearing?
Yes, it was better than the bike I have now, but I still couldn't get my heels on the ground. I've read the seat is adjustable, but I couldn't find a dealer willing to adjust the seat to the lowest position and let me try it. I'm *Constantly* parking on a hill at both home and work, so I went with the lowering kit anyway. I'm a pretty small guy so I'm not really worried about my knees being in my arm pits. I'm more worried about getting it and still not being able to flat-foot it, which makes backing up on hills a royal pain to me, even on a 350lb bike.

DakinechicK

First off......
WELCOME :cheer:

Secondly, I am 5'1 and had the lowering link put on and I could flat foot after that. Never had any problems, so you will be just fine. :thumbup:

Good luck with the new bike! Hope you enjoy it!

AngryAnt

First off......
WELCOME :cheer:

Secondly, I am 5'1 and had the lowering link put on and I could flat foot after that. Never had any problems, so you will be just fine. :thumbup:

Good luck with the new bike! Hope you enjoy it!
Sweet, thanks for the info! At least now I know I'll have room for a Corbin / Comfort seat if I ever decide to change it out without making it too tall again.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

ChUcK

My current bike is a 275cc chinese knock-off of the Honda silverwing
PICS...

I like looking at bikes. :D

What era Silverwing? That name has seen some serious revamps over the years. For a while it was nearly a Goldwing, now it's a Steroid Scooter.

I'm jealous of the people that get a bike new, with the chance to do the break-in that so many race mechanics recommend. What are your break-in plans for your new baby?

AngryAnt

PICS...

I like looking at bikes. :D

What era Silverwing? That name has seen some serious revamps over the years. For a while it was nearly a Goldwing, now it's a Steroid Scooter.

I'm jealous of the people that get a bike new, with the chance to do the break-in that so many race mechanics recommend. What are your break-in plans for your new baby?

Its a low-res pic, but I'm at work right now and just grabbed the image from my cycletrader ad. Its a nice bike for storage, and crazy good gas mileage, but it'll overheat on a hot day @ 70mph, not to mention crosswinds interstate winds will scare the crap out of me still.

In terms of maintenance...I'm a bit of an over-cautious driver, so I'll probably be very soft on her (yup, already decided its a her) for the first 600 miles, and change the oil at 300 and 600, which for me might take a little while as I'm mostly just city driving - it took several months to hit 1000 miles on my last bike, mainly because it was a stressful ride on the highways. It overheated and left me stranded at least once.

Who knows though, I don't really know what I'm getting into as I've never driven anything bigger than a 250cc cruiser / 275cc scooter. I might just hop on and never come back home :D

Detrich

congrats & welcome! :)

if you shift your butt off the seat to the side so that you're standing up with the bike gently leaning on you, then that's an alternative way to flat foot on one side. u don't really need to fully flat-foot on both feet to control the bike at stops & traffic lights.

the 6R's weight is noticeable at stops. it's slightly top heavy. so, practice getting in the habit of quickly surveying the incline of the patch of road where you intend to stop. and, that will help you avoid surprises.

if u have to stop at a forward/ reverse incline, then learn to put your left foot down and use your right foot (and right hand) to cover the brakes. when launching, use the right foot to cover the brake and slowly release as u find the friction zone release point on the clutch and so forth to launch. when i started, i found some residential streets with low traffic to practice this technique- over and over. u'll get the hang of it.

i can't flat foot on the R6, and this is inconvenient sometimes when parking or when leaving a parking space- because i can't always sit on the seat and paddle the bike with my feet in or out of the spot. well, not unless i'm on a completely flat surface. so, i've gotten in the habit of just stopping as close to where i want to park, getting off, and pushing the bike into the parking space. same thing before leaving. i just push the bike out of the parking space to where i want it to point, get on, fire up, and then go. it's a minor inconvenience, but not a big deal.