First Oil change

firefighter57

I see a few threads on changing your oil but this is kind of different.

I've had my bike for a month and I am at 700 miles so it is about that time to give it its first oil change. The dealer said to bring it back and they would do it but it is 200 bucks! :jawdrop:
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo the question is, what do they really do for 200 bucks? If all they do is change the oil and filter, I can do that with no problem.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

firefighter57

Not trying to be a smart@ss or anything, but ask them what they do for that amount, make them justify such a high charge.
They'll probably tell you first service, which is a lot of "checking" of things (all listed in our owners manual), if you're comfortable with a wrench, save that money for mods and do it yourself!

Actually I did ask them and they did the whole "[grumble] [cough] well we, uhhh, ya know, change the oil and we only use premium oil which is best for your new engine. We also flush all of the oil so we make sure that all of the metal shavings are out of it and change your filter and check the bike" To me the answer was we are trying to milk you.

Ok maybe I am not asking the right question. Does anyone feel like it is worth it when I can easily do it myself?

Last edited:

FitZ6R

Ok maybe I am not asking the right question. Does anyone feel like it is worth it when I can easily do it myself?
If I may presume to speak for everyone :D the answer is a unanimous "do it yourself!"

The factory filter can be tough to remove. But even if you have to buy a special tool for it, and use superpremiumsynthetic oil, you'll come out at least $150 ahead.

Wild guess, but are you by any chance close to NY City?

firefighter57

Last edited:

Superzoom

Wow, Firefighter, that dealer sounds incredibly dishonest. The best shops will have posted rates for basic services and their hourly rates. I've never, ever heard of a $200 oil change.

What that tells me is that you should not get ANY of your service done at this dealer. If they are that dishonest, there's no telling how else they will rip you off when they work on your bike. You can get work done anywhere and it won't void your warranty, so do NOT go back to your dealer for anything. Trust me on that.

FitZ6R

Yeah, live 15 mins north of the Bronx, why?
$200 bucks for an oil change sounds like NYC prices. I lived in the city for 22 years, and everything associated with owning and operating a vehicle is super expensive there. A lot of NYCers are up against a wall because they don't have space to do ther own work, or even park. Outside the city is better, but there's still a spillover gradient of high costs.

Are you NYFD?

rjsantana20

I'm in North Jersey and called my dealer for the 1st service. They said $95 bucks. I haven't taken the bike to them but I feel I can do the oil change myself. Just need the time to do the job.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

firefighter57

That kills me. My father works for a tractor service company and I know they charge like 100 bucks an hour for labor but there is a big difference in working on a huge tractor and changing the oil in a bike. Give me a break...50 bucks an hour for labor on a bike! I ended up buying a service manual yesterday so I am going to do the oil change, torquing and lubing all my self. Screw paying anything over 80 bucks for an oil change. Now just to find myself a stand.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

firefighter57

check the harbor freight stand out... make sure you get the right one, it's on here somewhere.
Yeah I know the one you are talking about. Only thing that is making me second guess it is the poor reviews on their website.

stevet

I bought and tried both Harbor freight swing arm stands. They are tricky and a hassle I am not willing to live with. I bought their hydraulic aluminum motorcycle lift and love it. I use tie downs attached to the lift to be sure the bike can't go any where. The whole bike goes up effortlessly.

Stephenfz6r

Yeah I know the one you are talking about. Only thing that is making me second guess it is the poor reviews on their website.
You do not need a center stand to change the oil. Actually more oil comes out when you lean the bike over as the drain plug is off to the left side. Don't forget to fill the new filter with some oil before installing it.

bear 86

Hi all,
First post on here! I am from Australia and will be picking up a white and red FZ6R this weekend... Sweet!

Anyway about oil changes, here is a thing I do on my car for extra piece of mind. Find an old computer hard drive and dismantle it best you can (they are tough units), inside it is a super strong magnet. When I change the oil, I put the magnet onto the outside of the new oil filter to help collect any loose metal bits and take them out of circulation. The magnet is about an inch long and weighs bugger all. I will be doing this to the FZ.

Hope this helps

spider2k

Elite Member