Finally used the HOV lane

Biker-Phil

I finally used the HOV lane (using my motorcycle) on I-35 Southbound while leaving downtown Dallas during rush hour. I only go to downtown when I have to meet up with colleagues for a meeting, but this time I decided to take ride my FZ6R. It was so nice to be able to fly past the slow moving parking lot to my right. This particular stretch of HOV lane has concrete barriers to keep the cagers from swerving in and out. I think I'll be riding to meetings from now on ;-) Anyone else enjoy using HOV lanes wherever you are?

BoneJj

We don't have HOV lanes in my section of florida... lol.

But I used to ride them up north when available and they were just so damn nice....

KillaCoDe

HOV Lanes

I live in Houston and just bought my bike a few weeks ago and will be taking the MSF course here soon, but definitely good to know that we can take the HOV lanes! Awesome!

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

abyss1406

HOV in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) is a joke most times. If the other 4 lanes are at a standstill, so are HOV. Yes bikes can use them but you'll be less p!ssed off in your car with a/c and tunes. Don't even try lanesplitting, too many cops or spiteful motorists who wouldn't think twice about opening a door on you out of jealousy.

Off soapbox.....
another reason im never moving to that area, while it may beautiful, the seasons suck, hurricanes, black outs, and everything else under the sun. not to mention the horrid drivers

Brock Kickass

Bikes not allowed to use them in my area (Ottawa, Canada). Which is stupid. A 3/4 gas pickup can use them with one driver and one passenger, but a Ninja 250 using 1/8 the fuel can't. Dumb.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Biker-Phil

No Motorcycles in HOV lanes???

Bikes not allowed to use them in my area (Ottawa, Canada). Which is stupid. A 3/4 gas pickup can use them with one driver and one passenger, but a Ninja 250 using 1/8 the fuel can't. Dumb.
Wow! That really is surprising. Is that the law in all of Ottawa or only in your part of Ottawa?

Biker-Phil

Hov

I have big reservations about riding through an HOV type lane without the risk/fear of being nailed by a car / truck/ bus that decides they no longer want to wait in the non hov's.
Actually, we have both the managed HOV lanes (concrete barrier on both sides) and the non-manage HOV lanes, with double white lines. I can see what you're saying regarding the non-managed lanes. They did put these plastic pylons every 2 ft on the double white on one of our freeways to keep cars from entering and exiting. It helped a lot, but still didn't stop everyone.

The managed lanes basically work one way (toward downtown) in the morning and away from downtown in the afternoon. The Dallas Transit folks go and flip the barriers around the other direction once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

The only problem with the concrete barriers (while it keeps others out) is that speeding cars behind you can get frustrated if you're not moving fast enough for them. Luckily there is a shoulder in some parts of the HOV lane so that you can wave those guys past you and continue on.

Ivan_13

I have big reservations about riding through an HOV type lane without the risk/fear of being nailed by a car / truck/ bus that decides they no longer want to wait in the non hov's.
Happened to me yesterday afternoon. Almost got taken out by a Hummer. WITH the girl I'm seeing as a passenger. I wanted to :bitchslap: that lady.

Biker-Phil

I haven't seen one in Ontario yet that I am allowed to use.
And yes... sure enough you are correct! A little googling found this on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website:

Which vehicles are NOT allowed to use HOV lanes?

• A vehicle with only the driver
  • Motorcycles with only the driver
  • Commercial trucks greater than 6.5 metres in length or with a gross weight of more than 4,500 kg

Regardless, it still surprises me that Ontario of all places isn't more progressive with respect to motorcycles in HOV lanes. Hey... I guess you could always put a helmet on a mannequin and find a way to secure it to the back of your bike ;-)

BoneJj

And yes... sure enough you are correct! A little googling found this on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website:

Which vehicles are NOT allowed to use HOV lanes?

• A vehicle with only the driver
  • Motorcycles with only the driver
  • Commercial trucks greater than 6.5 metres in length or with a gross weight of more than 4,500 kg

Regardless, it still surprises me that Ontario of all places isn't more progressive with respect to motorcycles in HOV lanes. Hey... I guess you could always put a helmet on a mannequin and find a way to secure it to the back of your bike ;-)
That just seems stupid... You're riding a vehicle that gets more than double the mileage of any 4 wheeled vehicle and they wont even let you in the damn HOV lane. They can kiss my hairy.... you fill in the blank.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member