Finally Put Her Down :(

Top1Dog525

Yes... it is true, I wrecked my motorcycle a few weeks ago. Was coming around a tight curve and hit some unnoticeable gravel on the road... Needless to say it was an exciting 10 seconds. Pretty much took the tires out from under me and went straight to a ditch... Majority of the plastic parts are gone. The fairings are amazingly fine as well as all major motor parts and frame. I personally fared well too, except my left pinky finger got broken :( but no pain. Will hopefully have her built back up and ready to go by the beginning if not mid summer.

Just an extra note... WEAR YOUR GEAR! It saved my @$$, u can see in the grass where i landed where my head skipped like a stone.

Heineken

Elite Member

MikeN02

ouch, hope you are okay. im scared of taking corners that fast still, dont know what might jump out at you. i just have dreams of going down. did u have frame sliders? how were they? also u can tell us what gear you are wearing and how well they worked

joloy133

Glad you came out OK. Hope you get up riding soon, let us know whats up with the bike too! When I had my accident I just started to make my bike "my own". (Seems like once its been down its really yours only....Hard to explain the sentiment......You beat yourself up thinking if you screwed up or just bad luck, etc.) You'll get over it and riding will still be great. Stay safe.

btastarsky

Same thing happened to me in november. I hit that patch of gravel right at the apex of a turn and slid right off the road. You're exactly right about wearing gear. Mine saved me from all but a broken bone on my right hand below the index knuckle. The helmet save med from losing half my face when I hit hard on the low side prior to flipping over the bars and skidding 25 feet. I wish you all the best in getting the bike back together. I'm just now going to be putting my new bars on this wednesday. Make sure you get a new helmet cuz after a wreck like ours, the inner structure wont hold up to a second round.

Just glad you came out in one peice.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Sorry about your off! Any accident you walk away from on a bike is a good one though. The bike can be fixed.... you? not so easily. ;) This is a bad time of the year for sand and gravel. Be careful out there.

A good tip for all. In corners this time of year, always favor the cager's tire track on the outside of any corner. This will be the cleanest line because a cornering cage has all its weight on those outside tires and it clears the lane best.

Hope you get it fixed asap! Pics when you can???

vitrox

i always slow WAY down for any turns this time of year, they all have gravel on them for a month or so.

flyingminno

Ouch man, sorry to hear and hope you and your bike heal. A similar thing happened to me on Friday; was taking a turn onto a completely dark road and couldn't avoid the gravel that was spread all over the road. Seeing the sparks flying off the bike as it slid was actually pretty, but painful at the same time. Picked her up and got her started and road an hour back home with bent bars. Only real damage was a ground off end weight, bent bars and scratched crankcase cover. The kickstand, peg scraper, crankcase cover and passenger peg saved the tank and fairings!

MikeN02

Glad you came out OK. Hope you get up riding soon, let us know whats up with the bike too! When I had my accident I just started to make my bike "my own". (Seems like once its been down its really yours only....Hard to explain the sentiment......You beat yourself up thinking if you screwed up or just bad luck, etc.) You'll get over it and riding will still be great. Stay safe.
I know what you mean, though I haven't wrecked... It still hasn't really "hit me" that it's my own bike. I mean, that's why I'm scared to drill any holes or anything big to it. I've only done mods that can be reversed so far.

Top1Dog525

all the plastic parts are gone but the fairings are fine? i don't get it.

sorry bout the bike.
everything that is plastic minus the side fairings were trashed

Chip

Oh no :(

The important thing is that you are gonna be fine! Glad to hear that, although a broken pinkey is no fun...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear that you are doing well. With the broken pinky finger, you could always do the Dr. Evil.

Detrich

sorry to hear about the accident, but good to hear that you are ok and no serious injuries... hope u get the bike fixed soon :)

Top1Dog525

Well guys, will finally have my bike back to 100% hopefully mid summer time... Have not really had the time and the $$$ to fix her up completely but she is slowly getting work done to her. Couldn't fix her all straight out mainly cause I am fixing to start at the University of Southern Mississippi and like most universities they feel the need to rape you in the wallet. But I do appreciate all the kind words that have been said. Wish everyone safe riding!

Top1Dog525

did u have frame sliders? how were they? also u can tell us what gear you are wearing and how well they worked
No, did not have frame sliders... but the grass where my bike landed kept my fairings from getting too scratched up, nothing some rubbing compound wont fix. As for the gear I was wearing I swear by it all...

HJC IS-16 Scratch

TourMaster Intake Air Series 2 Jacket

Cortect Accelerator 2 Gloves

**NOTE** The gloves did protect my hands to some degree. I say to "some degree" because when I was flipping and flopping the gloves got pulled off my hands and therefore I got cuts on them. But the hard padding on the knuckles, I believe, saved my fingers from being broken from impact, minus the one pinky lol.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member