Finally painted my forks!

Yone

Here's my favorite combination of poisons. I used the same combination to paint the alloy wheels of my truck about 8 years ago, and it's still holding up!

Since my stand didn't allow me to take off the front wheel, I simply masked off all the surrounding stuff with bags and painter's tape.

After about only 2 hours, I had a finished product! I'm very satisfied with it...there's just a few remaining areas to touch up with flat black model paint, and of course the inside of the forks are still silver, but there's a nice gradient to it and it's hardly noticable.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Yone

nice, might have to take the time to do this to my raven. What did you use to clean the area first? Just soap/water, or anything special to get the oil/grime off.
No, they were pretty clean to begin with, as I only have about 400 miles on it :eek: But I just ran some light sandpaper over it (which didn't really seem to do anything) and then just wiped the dust off with a rag.

btastarsky

That looks pretty sick. The fact that you did that yourself is also quite awesome. Congrats and thank you for another idea for individualizing the bike. I wonder if I can make my forks the same color as my fairings? Or would that not look as nice as the black? Any thoughts?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

This is next on my list, then I will decide on the handlebar, if its gonna be worth my effort or just buy a new one..

But I am gonna put on the rear stand and then lift the front of the bike with a automotive hoist and completely remove the front wheel..

Thanks for the write up!

Yone

This is next on my list, then I will decide on the handlebar, if its gonna be worth my effort or just buy a new one..

But I am gonna put on the rear stand and then lift the front of the bike with a automotive hoist and completely remove the front wheel..

Thanks for the write up!
I hadn't even thought about painting the handlebar... Guess that's next.

porky45

super bad ass man! :thumbup:

cbzdel

I hadn't even thought about painting the handlebar... Guess that's next.
I have not looked in detail at the 2010 models but they may have a black bar and it may just be cheaper and worth my time to just get one if they come black.. Because I am not the best painter in the world, actually closer to the worst :surrender:

Yone

I have not looked in detail at the 2010 models but they may have a black bar and it may just be cheaper and worth my time to just get one if they come black.. Because I am not the best painter in the world, actually closer to the worst :surrender:
I don't think I'm gonna bother with the handlebar...it'd be a total pain to remove everything. But then again, maybe in the winter if I get bored and won't be riding it anyway I could take my time.

xplodnstar

Looks sweet.

Yone

Stricken

I was inspired by this post and painted my raven's forks. I must say that it looks totally more badass now. They really should have come painted black from the factory!

oyamyers

You could have just bought the way cool yellow on and got the black forks with it.:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Nice job on the mod!!!

CGENGO

Pics of the raven with black forks!!

gearhead

quit teasing, where's the pics???

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CGENGO

Raven pics, we need raven pics. Although, I must say that your "new" look made me BLUE with envy for just a few seconds! Very nice work. It looks finished.