Fiance's wanting a bike, little help on choosing the right one?

iSpoolin

beauty queen eh?? hmmm why was it you dont want her hanging on to you tightly again? I forget:iconbeer:
Haha trust me i love when she rides with me, but she just doesnt wanna be on the back forever, its an idependence thing i guess? Lol

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Chucker

I would lean towards toward the CBR250 if it must be a street bike to start. But I think the best way to learn to handle a bike is in the dirt. Get a used 125cc enduro for cheap and get her on some trails for a bit and then out on the road. That'll get her used to handling a bike, and then when she moves up to a street bike, she'll be OK. Unless she dumps it on the road, you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Just my 2 cents.

DakinechicK

Okay I have to put in my experience here....

I am 5'1" and 94 lbs. I have had both the Ninja 250 and the FZ6R and here is my 2 cents on them.

-The 250 I outgrew in a matter of 2 months. It was definitely a fun bike to have around, but not hardly enough power between the legs, even for me. I'm saying this from personal experience... it IS underpowered, even for a 94 lb chick.

-The FZ6r is SO similar except for the fact that it has more torque but can be controlled easily by a beginner!

-I lowered both the bikes and could flat foot on both of them. Does NOT change the way it drives, handles or performs. I don't like when people say that.

-I dropped both bikes the first week I had either of them. It's not a matter of how much the bike weighs. When it starts to tip wether a 250 or a 600 for someone our size....both bikes will go down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the reality.

-You sit more upright on the FZ6r, so its so comfortable for a beginner, not being hunched over or anything. When maneuvering you won't feel a weight difference between the 250 or the 600. I'm light and they feel the same when doing U-turns or sharp corners, etc.

-The 250 is carburated so it takes a good long time to get it up and running while the FZ6r is Fuel injected so once started, it's ready to go!

Sounds like she likes the looks of the FZ6r white and pink so let her get it! She won't outgrow it as fast and after her first few rides will enjoy it a lot more than she would the 250. If you go with something that small, outgrowing it comes a lot faster than a 600. My fiance feels he wasted money on the 250 because I wanted to get something bigger almost right away. And, in a way, we did lose a little money selling it.

I'm telling you that my experience sounds VERY similar to yours... as far as height, weight, and picking between the 250 and 600. I hope you guys get the one she likes!

I know it sounds like I am against going the 250 route, and I'm sorry, but I am.
Keep in mind, I'm an extremely girly girl too, so it's not the fact that I'm this hardcore chick. I just want to have a good experience on the bike and the 600 is the one that does it for me. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Bigevildoer

Thanks for the advice everybody, and just so everybody knows, shes NOT a rough and tough girl lol shes a beauty pagenet chick ( and shes won quite a few) basically she flexes her arm and Nothing changes lol

Im takin her to the dealer this evening to check out a ninja 250 and see what she thinks
Ok, here's a bit of info from personal experience then (neighbour is similar size to your girl, but she's athletic -- works out 4 times a week with a trainer and twice by herself).

My neighbour bought a GS500 last year -- thank God it was a used one.

She's dropped it several times in her driveway or at gas stations, and has been able to hoist it up on her own - maybe due to adrenalin or frustration, who knows.

It's got plenty of power for a beginner rider. She let me take it out for a final scoot of the season last year after I had put mine away (we had a beautiful weekend about 2 weeks later). It ran rough for a while until I revved it up and blew some of the carbon out of it, after which it ran nicely.

She had to have it lowered as much as possible in order to flat foot a stop. So if you buy one for her, you will more than likely have to do the same.

Another friend has a Ninja 250, but she's 4' 11.75" and 115 pounds of muscle - again, lowering was necessary. She's nearly terrified of riding on the 401 (think interstate) 'cause she gets blown all over the place by wind and trucks. I think a heavier bike would help in her case.

Later!