faster bikes with cheap insurance

pkoko

I just got my fz6r and it is plenty fast. But I feel that I may outgrow it soon. My question does anyone know of a faster bike without expensive insurance? Please list bike and carrier. Most of my driving is around town. So I am more interested in 0-60 times and comfort for 2 people

JSP

Super Moderator
All depends on your insurance company and how they rate bikes, state, etc... Only real way would be to call around and ask for quotes..

latony007

states

States determine a lot for insurance. For example CA is about the worst for every aspect of it LOL. If you think its plenty fast now I don't think you will outgrow it as soon as you think. You can only go so fast on the roads even here in CA. Too Much faster and youll drop that second person on their a** :)

Having said that my nephew has a triumph street triple and that's pretty fast and the insurance he pays is about the same as mine.

Alex6

Both the FZ1 and Z1000 have premiums that are ~1/2 of the cost for same coverages for Ninja 1000, and Big 4 SSs 600cc.
Both the FZ1 and Z1000 are plenty fast and should do fine 2-up.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

pkoko

for around town... 0-60, you're talking about a 1-2 sec difference between "fast" bikes and the fz6r... the "faster bikes" shine above those speeds... although with two-up, you'd probably never want to accelerate as fast as any bike can.

I found this site... but had to laugh... according to them, the '09 fz6r is faster then the '12..... bwahahaha

Motorcycle 0-60 & Quarter Mile Times | Kawasaki, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha 0 to 60 Acceleration Sports Bike Specs & More!
I wondered that too. Why is the 2009 faster than the 2012

dx2killa

From experience. TRIUMPHS. Atleast in jersey I have rider insurance and I payed 400+ a year for my fz6r and 500 deduct. I just got a daytona 675 for 301 a year and 250 deduct! :)

glorp

being Canada insurance might be different, I go to a online insurance quote site and compare the costs there.
The fastest non sport bike I have had was a Honda 919....was rated as a standard but for basically stock bike sure did not go like one :)

p.s. don't buy one

RoadTrip

Wow, I am suprised the FJR is so fast! I guess I better not try a pull on one of those guys, might get spanked.

Anyway, for the OP, make sure you have fully 'outgrown' the FZ6R before moving up, likely around 10,000 miles or a year, whichever comes first. Then you can pretty much move to any bike you like, for serious 2-up you can forget about the SS bikes, so that puts you on sport touring (ST) bike, but ST bikes are heavier. You will just have to decide how important 2-up riding is to you, its kind of selfish to make a passenger suffer, the FZ-1 might be a good split between the two. I know my wife really isn't that interested in being a passenger, so I get to choose whatever bike I want, so I am staying with lightweight SS's for now - but if your girl wants to participate, then try and make it comfortable for her, there will be trade off's on the sport end, though.

Ninja 1000 is prolly a really great choice as well, but yeah, insurance may suck due to the 'Ninja' name, but just pay it and get the right bike.

crobih

I have an r1 its 120 a month but im only insured 5 months out of the year due to the riding weather. Thats full coverege with 1 speeding ticket

linkgt

I just got my fz6r and it is plenty fast. But I feel that I may outgrow it soon. My question does anyone know of a faster bike without expensive insurance? Please list bike and carrier. Most of my driving is around town. So I am more interested in 0-60 times and comfort for 2 people
I have to wonder, do people do their research when buying bikes? One of the first things I did was search "Fz6r top speed" it was a measely 129, which for a 600cc is slow, but I was ok with that fact before buying it.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

pkoko

I have to wonder, do people do their research when buying bikes? One of the first things I did was search "Fz6r top speed" it was a measely 129, which for a 600cc is slow, but I was ok with that fact before buying it.
I knew how fast it was. This is my first bike and I wanted something that I can learn on and not too powerful. I love the fz6r and I am not in a hurry to get rid of it.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

linkgt

I knew how fast it was. This is my first bike and I wanted something that I can learn on and not too powerful. I love the fz6r and I am not in a hurry to get rid of it.
kk, sorry if I came out a little mad. But honestly, try to get better in RIDING the bike on the twisties. It's very satisfying beating SS riders on the fz6r.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

I dunno... S1KRR's get stolen a lot in SoCal too. Just that because it's such an expensive bike, I'm guessing that most owners are prolly have houses already or a safer place to store it? I mean, u don't buy a Ferrari and then park it on the street in front if your apt building. U normally get a house first. lol.

D52

All depends on your insurance company and how they rate bikes, state, etc... Only real way would be to call around and ask for quotes..
Agreed. The insurance company involved makes a HUGE difference... definitely shop around. You could get a lot more bike for just a little more money. I found Rider to be the cheapest. Rider is only available in a handful of states, but I think Indiana is one of them. They were the least expensive when I had my CBR250 last year, as well as my current FZ6R. Geico, Progressive, they all wanted 50 to over 100% more for the same level of coverage... even the insurance agent that I use for my home/auto who shops multiple companies couldn't beat them, and that was with a multi-policy discount. Every salesperson I've talked to at both the Honda and Yamaha dealerships also insures with Rider. I pay a little under $250 annually for full coverage and $500 deductible.