farthest driven on empty ?

SoCal600

the farthest gone on empty for me is 54miles, i dont know how i did it, i left for work and 5 miles into my commute the f-trip came on. i was broke and had no money so i proceeded to go to work and continued to drive home after. every mile it counted i was rubbing the tank saying please baby make it home haha. i made it home and opened the tank, looked inside with a flashlight and saw the fuel was just above the bolts on the fuel pump at the very bottom of the tank. i had a $20 i hide from myself in my kitchen draw so my neighbor took me to the gas station with a gas can and i filled up. previous length gone on empty was 36 miles about a year ago.....

FastFreddy

That's good to know you could go that far.

I said to my bike, as you do, when the pump first cut out when I was filling up "c'mon baby you can fit it in". The lady filling up next to me was smiling.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

mdgreene2001

I don't let it get that low. It's bad for the fuel pump. The gas is what keeps the pump cool and when you run it that low it's hard on the pump. I have seen pumps in cars die at the pump because they ran it to empty then filled it with cold gas the cold gas on the hot pump killed the pump.

SoCal600

yea i know its hard on the pump but i REALLY had no choice. my bike has been amazing to me. i use full syn mobil 4t 10/40 oil that gets changed every 3k along with a bosch 3300 oil filter, and lucas upper cylinder lube in the tank with 1oz per gallon ratio every oil change. i ride all year round, bought the bike in CA and rode for about 2 1/2 years in 30 degree to 105 degree weather, pouring down rain, hail u name it ! and now texas heat :( i always let my bike warm up to 120 degrees before i ever ride it, usually let it idle for about 2 minutes. oh and our bikes have an idle timer that turns the bike off after about 20 minutes of straight idle..... i got caught up in a heated phone call and let the bike run and all of a sudden it turned off, checked the factory yamaha service manual and it states the idle shut off timer. 51,xxx miles and she pulls just as day one :)

BKP

I'm with mdGreene... At two bars I start looking to refill, and have *rarely* gone to a single bar, and only when a refill was impossible...

Rich007

I don't let it get that low. It's bad for the fuel pump. The gas is what keeps the pump cool and when you run it that low it's hard on the pump. I have seen pumps in cars die at the pump because they ran it to empty then filled it with cold gas the cold gas on the hot pump killed the pump.
When F-Trip comes on, I get fuel.

I told a customer the other day he needed a fuel pump in his 2500 Silverodo at a cost of $900 and he asked WTF? I then asked at what point does he get gas and he stated at a certain mileage on the trip since his sending unit doesn't work and he was due for a fill up. Well since he was running his tank bone dry everytime his pump was getting too hot and finally wore it out.
His fuel gauge works now.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

xleeb0y13x

I've never let it get down below 2 bars. Then again I'm only riding after work for maybe a hour or so. Right now I only fuel once a week.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member