Faarrrkk!!!!

dcBear78

Installing my new Two Brothers exhaust and I torqued one of the header bolts off doing it up!!!!

What the hell do I do now?

ChUcK

Get a different torque wrench?

Gwai lo 2.0

Take off the exhaust, weld a nut onto the broken bolt (hopefully it's sticking out a bit) and spin it out.

dcBear78

Correction...

The bolt is actually attached to the block. It was a nut I was doing up and broke this bolt off.

Is this worse, seeing as it is attached to the block itself and not a replaceable part?

dcBear78

2nd correction.

It is a doubled ended bolt. Screwed into the block and then another thread for the nut to go on. So at least it is replaceable.

So this brings me back to the initial solution

dcBear78

Mental note: When buying new tools like a torque wrench, take particular note of the settings. When torquing it to 14 pound, make sure you haven't set it to 140!!!

/slaps forehead

On the bright side, it sounds fucken awesome. Just installed the Juice Box while waiting for my mate to get back to the workshop.

Chucker

Installing my new Two Brothers exhaust and I torqued one of the header bolts off doing it up!!!!

What the hell do I do now?
The first thing to do, which I assume you've already done, is swear loudly and repeatedly, followed by throwing some things around in the garage. I find heaving a circular saw down the driveway is very therapeutic.

Deanohh

It might be obvious, but did you replace the header gaskets. Its a good idea to replace them whenever you unbolt the headers. If you get an exhaust leak from the old, compressed gaskets, you'll be doing the job all over again.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Yep... That's the part. My local Yamaha dealership didn't actually have one in stock. Only had 6mm ones, need 8mm. So Tuesday I hopefully should have this rectified.

Now that the panic has subsided I am realising this is all fixable... But I really did shit myself there a couple times.
For a quick permanent fix:

1. Install the header and nuts (except the broken one, of course).
2. Mark the depth of the nut on one of outer bolts.
3. Remove the header and nuts.
4. Add two nuts to double threaded bolt that you marked.
5. Turn the inner-nut (from previous step) count-clockwise, with will back the bolt out.
6. Measure the bolt from the inside tip to where you marked it.
7. Buy a regular metric bolt slightly shorter than the length you measured in the previous step.
8. Reassemble and torque (properly this time ;) )

Last edited: