Extended Warranty question

atx748

I recently purchased a new FZ6R with the usual 1-year warranty. The dealership offered me an extended 4-year warranty (5 years total) for $690. I asked if I could pick it up later during the first year. The answer was "yes, but it might cost $750-790."

So, I have a few questions... Please keep in mind that I'll probably ride only about 1000 miles per year on this bike.
1) Is it worth it? The F&I guy didn't give me the hard sell, but he did mention that the electronics can be expensive to replace/repair.
2) Are there some known problems that are likely to occur after a certain time or mileage, and how much are they to fix?
3) He assured me that the policy was through Yamaha. Can anyone verify this?
4) Has anyone done this before? My owner's manual lists the Y.E.S. program with a phone number to call before the warranty expires.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
ATX748

Last edited:

Alex6

I did not buy the extended warranty. IMO I don't see the need. It's a YAMAHA not the Harley [emoji12]

RoadTrip

I like extended warranties, I had one on my FZ6R, GSXR600, and now GSXR750. Each time I traded in a bike, I got a check back for the unused coverage period, so I didn't overpay. Like Alex6 said, there is likely very little concern with these Japanese bikes, I did not use my warranty during the 8K miles on FZ6R nor in the 17K miles on GSXR600 (12K on GSXR750 and no issues there either). So, that should tell you the risk is very low on these Japanese bikes breaking. But, my reasoning is the occasional horror story on the Webz where someone had a major issue and did not have the warranty, from then on those people started getting the extended warranties. In the end they sell warranties based on statistics, and statistically you will lose money and they will make a profit, but a few people will be saved thousands of dollars by this safety net. It just helps me sleep knowing my bike is covered, I do ride it pretty hard, so this way I don't overly concern myself with babying the throttle (of course the clutch is not covered, so you gotta be smooth with that).

Last edited:

pkoko

Modern motorcycles are very reliable. There is no reason that any of them should NOT give the owner 50+k trouble free miles. But have you looked how hard they are to work on? If something goes wrong; DIY is probably out of the question for most of us. We don't have the tools or the skills to repair things. That is why I have the warranty. I want the piece of mind of dropping my bike at the dealer and not worrying about any repair bills.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ksanbon

In looking at it from a financial standpoint, the initial thought is usually $690 is a lot of money. However, when you break it down, you're looking at $14.38/month for the 48 months of extra coverage you're getting.
Another thing you might consider is to buy cheaper it online - you don't have to buy it from the selling dealer.
Buy Yamaha Y.E.S. Plans Online

IMO, Japanese bikes are very reliable, but the reality is that all parts are not created equally - some break earlier than others and it doesn't matter what brand of motorcycle they're in.
In my case, I can easily afford $14 per month, but would hate the thought of having to come up with enough to pay for any moderate or major repairs.

I think your decision hinges on what your peace-of-mind is worth.

Last edited:

Billsbet0

I got an extended warranty when I got my bike. 5 years unlimited miles. I've put 40,000 on my bike in the first 2 years. I knew I would but a ton of miles so the extra cost was very justifiable.

pkoko

Honestly, you will end up riding way more 1000 mi a year. The FZ6R is too much fun & comfortable not to be taken on road trips and commutes. In the summer, I average over 100 mi per weekend alone. I see you easily putting 3-5X that number in one year.

latony007

I did not buy the extended warranty. IMO I don't see the need. It's a YAMAHA not the Harley [emoji12]
LMAO i agree. Yes its a yamaha warranty but i really dont think its necessary unless you just feel like you have bad luck with vehicles or maybe if you put a ton of miles on it. I have had mine about 2 years 6000 miles ( i have 2 bikes so time gets split between them) and no trouble so far, knock on wood.

Bert-Aus

If you're mechanically minded -don't waste your $$$
But then if you were you wouldn't be asking,
The vast majority of extended warranties are cream to stealerships pie.
If it is going to help you sleep at night, get the warranty
But for most Yamaha's, they will clock themselves before anything major fails (if service schedule is followed)