Exhaust install help

wachikinow

I've gotten plenty of help from you guys already for a few years. Which I thank you for, but I've finally ran into a snag and couldn't find much info on it. So here is my first post.

The bike is a 2009 FZ6R.
I had to replace an oil related part, which required me to remove the (stock) exhaust. Everything was going smoothly, but I cannot get these headers lined up properly to save my life! I just can't get those bastards to go in any further!

I've tried a few times times already thinking "Yes! Finally!", I start her up and by the sound of it I can tell there's an exhaust leak. I gave a small rev to make sure, and she poots herself to sleep.

As for the method I'm using, I grease up the gaskets so they'll stay up in the exhaust port. I have a friend or jack support the unattached muffler while I line up the headers. We jiggle it around to make sure it is surely positioned correctly. Then I hand tighten all the nuts, you know, going a little bit on each one until they're all tight. Then the muffler bolts are hand tightened, and then the header flange nuts are tightened to the 14ft/lb spec.

What sort of tips do you guys have for this?

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

wachikinow

Hmmm, okay.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

I'll order some new gaskets and give it another go while I wait for them.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

wachikinow

Yes!!! I freaking got it!!! :D

I tried my best at not going beyond 14ft/lb, but I did end up bending a couple of the flanges a little bit...

But shes running fine!

Thanks again, guys.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member