Euro Keys

MikeN02

Not sure if I can post this since some forums require you to be a vendor to advertise or sell stuff but SlowBoyRacing of R1-Forum is offering European style keys.

Thread is here:
Euro Key Blanks

You can make a copy of US keys because they don't have chips inside of them, but outside the US you would have to check to see if they have a immobilizer chip.

I plan on getting a black and red one and thought you guys would like some as well.

UPDATE: he's offering Blue keys now.

Last edited:

ChrisFZ6R09

Hey Mike, these are nice. Are they the same ones that are posted on Ebay? They look identical and are only $5-$8 and most have free shipping? Not to take away from the advertising, but if it's the same...money is the winner for me.

Detrich

i'd like to learn more too... do the key's internal chip have to get programmed?

Electrix

Isn't the red key the master key? I was given 2 black keys and 1 red key when i got my bike and told that the red key was to program new keys just incase i lost the black ones. Well thats how it is in Australia

elishatarvin

I definitely didt get that red key. But thats probably cause the dealership keeps it so they can get big bux for u to get them to do it. Same goes for cars. I have a 96 mustang that i bought a blank key online for 15 bux and i found online how to program it. Dealer wanted like 150 for it all

MikeN02

Hey Mike, these are nice. Are they the same ones that are posted on Ebay? They look identical and are only $5-$8 and most have free shipping? Not to take away from the advertising, but if it's the same...money is the winner for me.
I don't believe these are the same, I just did a search on eBay and saw that they look the same but majority of them are from China. Not to say anything is wrong with them all the time but most of the stuff I bought from China are what you pay for. I don't want a key to bend or snap while I'm out riding. Not really my advertising, just informing people of a "mod" that I'm going to do that's a little different.

Dont u have to program the chip to match ur bike?
Did a little bit more research and you don't if you have a bike in the US.

Isn't the red key the master key? I was given 2 black keys and 1 red key when i got my bike and told that the red key was to program new keys just incase i lost the black ones. Well thats how it is in Australia
Yes, the red one usually is the master-key. The US gets "crappy" keys in my opinion, these are bigger and bulker so I like them. The red key is to program the black keys, something about sticking it in and turning it on then putting the black key in within 5 seconds of it.

Quotes:
jwxfd said:
You can get another key cut no problem...go to another dealer or a locksmith like said before...

I got a euro style key (with no imobilzer chip in it) from a forum member here who was selling them...took it to my local dealer to get cut, I was outta there in 5 mins and $6 poorer...
r6rammy said:
there's no immobilizer chips on the keys of the US bikes. Just go to a locksmith and he'll cut a key for ya and it should be <$7 each.
cheefar6 said:
From my understanding, the chip is only for people outside of the us, where the bikes use an immobiliser, if your bike is in the states, you should be fine getting a key made for these bikes, and having it cut at a locksmith.
I did this for my 03 and love my badass euro-style keys -_-
Source: Replacement Key : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

Keep in mind that these are also being shipped from Canada so it might take a while, but I believe it's worth the wait.

sltwhr

I lost my key the first week I had my bike and I went to the Yamaha dealer to get a new one thinking it was going to cost a small fortune and they only charged me $4.00 per cut key. Here is what it looks like. Doesn't look like it is microchipped since it's just a plain metal key. They didn't program anything or need anything other than the 4 digit code that came with it. You should be able to just get those keys cut and be good to go (at least here in the states).

Last edited:

bmw675

interesting. when i first got my bike they gave me two keys. one had a metal tag on the key ring, they told me if i ever need a new key, i needed to have that metal tag b/c it has a 5 digit code (mine is one letter than 4 numbers).

I lost my key the first week I had my bike and I went to the Yamaha dealer to get a new one thinking it was going to cost a small fortune and they only charged me $4.00 per cut key. Here is what it looks like. Doesn't look like it is microchipped since it's just a plain metal key. They didn't program anything or need anything other than the 4 digit code that came with it. You should be able to just get those keys cut and be good to go (at least here in the states).

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

bounce

is that what your keys in america look like because in australia the key is the same as the european
can someone post a pic up so i can see why you hate them

FitZ6R

Keep in mind that you can't make a copy of motorcycle keys on regular keys because they have chips inside of them.
US models don't have a chip in the key.

iSpoolin

I ordered a black one! Can't wait!

MikeN02

Just got mine today. Ordered a red one for my friend who has the white/red r1 and I got the black for my charcoal r6. He really likes them, I haven't seen it yet but I'm dying to get over there.

Since I ordered on the 11th I'm sure some of you guys got yours as well.

ajskillz13

I ordered a red key tonight! Thanks for the link Mike... great little cheap mod that makes this bike look more expensive than it is. :D