Electrical gauges going nuts

darkLeo

Hi, I have a 2012 FZ6R, and some bad people broke into it, broke some stuff, tipped it over and drained the battery.

I was able to jump start it ok, but even after a while, the battery didn't appear to be recharging at all (if I turned it off - nothing). The electrical display kept going haywire, like the electric power was constantly being turned off and on again, though the bike was idling.

Yamaha FZ6R electrical problem - YouTube

For what it's worth, the exhaust after it first re-started was super dense white and awful; I ran a fuel additive through it and it cleaned up after 10 min or so. At this point the display stayed on while idling, but turned on/off when I revved it.

Does anyone know if I just need a new battery, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

That sucks, i would be pretty pissed too! Did you know these bad people by chance? how does someone break into an fz6r or drain the battery?

darkLeo

Yes.. unfortunately it came about due to a person in my life having access to a key. Not sure exactly what they did though - I assume left the electricals turned on for a really long time?

FastFreddy

You'd need a new battery.

If you were nasty, then wire it up via a coil when anyone tries to mess with your electrics, 10000V should do it. Apparently there's a law against specifically doing that, something about innocent bystanders getting electrocuted etc.

FastFreddy

Yes.. unfortunately it came about due to a person in my life having access to a key. Not sure exactly what they did though - I assume left the electricals turned on for a really long time?
Do you mean person as in scorned Spanish chick ? At least she didn't sell it.

Last edited:

darkLeo

Ok, thanks - just a battery, as far as you know, not something more complex?

Reason I ask - trying to figure out if I can just jump start, ride to dealer, buy battery, install, and be able to drive off.

thank you.

rhnatyk

I had the same problem. I left my GPS, which is direct wired, turned on and it drained the battery. I was able to jump start it, but it wouldn't run right and even after running it for quite a while the battery wouldn't stay charged. I bought a trickle charger (Black & Decker) and let it charger overnight. The battery was fully charged and everything was back to normal. So, you CAN go ahead and buy a new battery, but I would invest in a trickle charger ($23 at Pep Boys) and give it a try.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Ok, thanks - just a battery, as far as you know, not something more complex?

Reason I ask - trying to figure out if I can just jump start, ride to dealer, buy battery, install, and be able to drive off.

thank you.
I'm assuming most of the battery fluid poured out of the battery when the bike was on its side. I know that a battery with no fluid will not work.

In replacing the battery, you should see all the acid everywhere too, you would clean that up before it corrodes something.

I suppose if you just happened to have a bottle of sulfuric acid and distilled water and knew how to mix to get the right concentration and density, then you could refill, otherwise get another battery to start with.

With a dead battery, how can the electrics work ? Even with the motor running, it'll be pulling current and possibly be dangerous in that state. You've got hydrogen gas, sulfuric acid, the alternator shorting on the dead battery risking an explosion.

Hopefully for any damaged electrics its a simple matter of ordering that part of the wiring harness that is damaged.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

I've had stuff like this happen heaps of times with my old turbo sports car.
I had to change the broken ignition lock 3 times and the door locks 4 times, the harness was a mess after one pro attempt. I've got to thank the guy that put the immobilizer in, they never found it.

Lucky I didn't catch them, I'd probably be in jail for some stupid car.