dying your windsield.

Deputyfarva252

I have a friend who said hes known people to do this . Its cheaper then buying one by far. You take RIT DYE boil it and stick in the windshield. Has anyone ever heard or tried this? i have a raven bike and want the windshield black without having to spend 100 bucks if possible.

JSP

Super Moderator
Not heard of this... most paint it with krylon fusion plastic paint with great success. Paint the inside of the screen and it looks great for only a few bucks.

I would not stick my windscreen into boiling anything. Great possibility of warping/melting the screen.

MikeN02

Not heard of this... most paint it with krylon fusion plastic paint with great success. Paint the inside of the screen and it looks great for only a few bucks.

I would not stick my windscreen into boiling anything. Great possibility of warping/melting the screen.
This.

Everyone I know of spray paints the INSIDE of the windshield.

Sparkxx1

I have a friend who said hes known people to do this . Its cheaper then buying one by far. You take RIT DYE boil it and stick in the windshield. Has anyone ever heard or tried this? i have a raven bike and want the windshield black without having to spend 100 bucks if possible.
You could always take it to a tint shop, which is what I plan to do. Get a nice dark tint, professionally done, for about 15$. It's not a bad price at all.

Pathfinder

I painted the inside of my windshield with flat black krylon paint. It looks good and have gotten some questions about it. The MX guys do this allot with gas tanks and bike plastics with good results. I have seen YZ 250's completely black and it looks good. If you paint plastic and it gets scratched the color under the paint will show through. If dyed it will be the same color through the scrach. The link below shows the process on the 3rd page. Whatever you do good luck.

99 YZ 125 restore pictorial - Page 3 - ThumperTalk

firefighter57

I play college lacrosse and used to use RIT dye to dye my plastic heads. The dye comes out great if you do it right and I would imagine it would look awesome on a wind screen. The problem I have had with my lax heads though is that I have noticed they crack way easier then my undyed ones. I am pretty sure the boiling water effects the plastic and takes away from its strength. I would be worried about the same happening to the wind screen so if you have a rock come up and hit you, the screen might crack right in half. I do not think it would melt of warp as long as you didn't leave it in there for too long. Would probably get soft though and when it cools and hardens, might be brittle.

JSP

Super Moderator
We have heard many failed tint stories as well... The plastic "breathes" and will eventually form those nasty tint bubbles.

XTRAWLD

I just bought my bike and brought it home. It has a tinted windscreen but it's tinted on the OUTSIDE. It looks ok, but already has a nick or two. "Apparently" it's easy to take off.....according to my experience with tint on glass in cars - I doubt it's that easy. I'll ride with it on for now....perhaps it was tinted on the outside cause it would look bad from teh inside?? I don't know.

Deputyfarva252

well after lots of thought and some more researchIi forgot about the tint spray that you can get for your tail lights or headlights for you car. I went and got some today taped off my windshield and have got the first coat down. 20 bucks for the spray and tape from Advance and if it turns out good it'll give me the look i want. I will post some pics when finished.

Patek86

Plasti-Dip

I used Plasti-Dip, which I got at Home Depot for $6. You spray it on the inside of the windscreen, much like the spray paint idea; except, if you don't like it or you mess up, you can just peel it off and start over. Also, if you ever sell your bike, you can put the screen back to stock by just peeling it off.

You can look at my pictures to see how it looks, but I'm happy with it and it was cheap and easy.

PM me if you have any questions.

XTRAWLD

I used Plasti-Dip, which I got at Home Depot for $6. You spray it on the inside of the windscreen, much like the spray paint idea; except, if you don't like it or you mess up, you can just peel it off and start over. Also, if you ever sell your bike, you can put the screen back to stock by just peeling it off.

You can look at my pictures to see how it looks, but I'm happy with it and it was cheap and easy.

PM me if you have any questions.
I'm impressed with how that looks.