Dropped it hard

Spunky99

I am in good financial shape and in no hurry. Time is on my side.

Thanks for the support and the tip.

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Just read through all 6 pages.

Sorry to hear you went down and hope you recover quickly.

Unfortunately (in my limited experience) it's gonna take awhile to get a check from them. It took me nearly 2 years to get a check from one auto accident.

I eventually got my medical bills, vehicle repairs and another $4000.

They wanted to settle quickly for a very low amount, which didn't even cover the car. Then after several months of bickering. I told them I was going to see a chiropractor. They instantly doubled the amount they offered. I refused that offer and then went to a chiro for over a year. After that was done I still didn't like their offer so told them I should see a physical therapist. Of course this prompted a bigger offer that I finally took.

So hold out and make sure everything is taken care of exactly how you want and that it is fair!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I told them oil or grease had to be on the road as the rear tire skidded with very light brake pressure and it skidded 2 times. I'll call tomorrow and get the report number and then go get copies of that and the 180.

Thanks for the advice....you have really been a Godsend for information over the last year.:D
No problem man. When you get the report, send me a PM if you have some questions.

Spunky99

1. Honda 1000RR
2. Yamaha R1
3. Ducati about 1 litre
4. Triumph Daytona 675R
5. Some big fat A$$ Harley ;)

Jon, I've been thinking about few things...If I did ask you 3 weeks ago if you were thinking about changing your ride what wouldyou have told me?

Interesting isn't it...

Well, I was thinking yesterday what would I do if something was going to happen to my ride, either stolen, crash, total... There's plenty of nice bike out there that I might be tempted to buy... but at the end of the day the 6R is way enough for my needs. So the more I think about it, the more I think I might just buy another 6R.

Here's a short list of cycle I might consider

1- VFR 800 (Only if it's the 25th anniversary, there still some new one out there...)
2- FZ1 (full fairing in silver)
3- Speed or Street Triple R
4- Gixxer 750 (always really like those, 750 use to be the real middle class bike)
5- Monster (the big one...) If $$$ wasn't a problem. 848 is kind of sweet too...

RedDeadRaven

At least you were prepared to handle the situation and it sounds like you did the only thing you could. Just shows what knowing your bike and having riding knowledge and experience can do for you. (like not freezing up or slamming on the brakes cuz you didn't panic) Get healed up.

Jon, I've been thinking about few things...If I did ask you 3 weeks ago if you were thinking about changing your ride what wouldyou have told me?

Interesting isn't it...

Well, I was thinking yesterday what would I do if something was going to happen to my ride, either stolen, crash, total... There's plenty of nice bike out there that I might be tempted to buy... but at the end of the day the 6R is way enough for my needs. So the more I think about it, the more I think I might just buy another 6R.

Here's a short list of cycle I might consider

1- VFR 800 (Only if it's the 25th anniversary, there still some new one out there...)
2- FZ1 (full fairing in silver)
3- Speed or Street Triple R
4- Gixxer 750 (always really like those, 750 use to be the real middle class bike)
5- Monster (the big one...) If $$$ wasn't a problem. 848 is kind of sweet too...

My list is much shorter Marthy:
1- 2011 GSX-R750. (Black of course):cool:
After seeing them online I made a trip to the dealership because I had the need (yes, it was a physical need) to see one in person. Awesome looking bike! I sat on it and was absolutely blown away at how light it feels. Its about 50lbs lighter than our 6Rs, but with the lower center of gravity it feels more like 100lbs lighter. Amazing. I must have one.....

Spunky99

Lets put the hard braking into perspective.

I have EBC scintered brake pads and SS lines with fresh synthetic fluid on the FZ6R. I can stop on a dime and locking up the rear brake is a natural part of stopping in a hurry. The MotoGP racers do it in almost every corner. I also have the Metzler Sportec Interac M5 tires and they are very soft and sticky. 37.5 psi rear and 38.5 psi front hot as checked before I took off.

When I race, I usually get passed on the straightaway by the lighter riders but I pass everyone coming into the first turn after the straight even if they are 75 feet in front of me because I can slam it down hard and control the skidding and use the brakes to maximum stopping power. So I wait till everyone is on the brakes and I'm still on the gas till the last millisecond. People are amazed at how I can get my NSR50R stopped and into the first turn so fast. Of course they get around me again in the turns..LOL I have Sixity scintered brakes, SS lines and synthetic fluid in the race brakes. So they stop very similar in feel and I have Dunlop 92s which are sticky and soft too.

So hard braking into turns on a racetrack is the same as an emergency stop to me and doesn't bother me a bit. I have never run off the track although I do have problems periodically with the gear pedal..but that doesn't matter in the stop. This was not an emergency stop or even a hard stop. It was a moderate stop from 65 MPH in traffic, onto the transition ramp that is straight and you slow down in 1/8 mile to the turn which has a 25 MPH sign on it. You all know as I do a 25 MPH turn on a freeway offramp means 45+ on a motorcycle. The problem is that no matter how light the pressure I used on the rear brake pedal, the rear tire skidded. When that happens the bike gets sideways and you have to release both the front and rear brakes to get it straight and then reapply the brakes again. I tried to stop 3 times with the rear brake skidding each time.

This was not a situation that I was prepared for. I could not safely slow down in traffic at 5:00 PM on the world's busiest freeway where the average speed was 70 MPH +. I had to move into the empty transition lane and immediately start to slow down. At 65 MPH, to be able to hit the brakes and skid and release and skid and release and skid 3 times in 1/8 mile is a very stressful and fast experience. At 65 MPH, you are covering about 114 feet per second and at 60 MPH about 88 feet per second. That means I had to get the bike under control and slow enough to make the turn in 660 feet. Figure the time is about 2 seconds to get the bike straight and stable after a skid, I lost 4 seconds coming into the turn without and braking. So you can understand I had all of about 2 seconds of brake time with the bike skidding to get it slowed down..EPIC FAIL.....I was not prepared for the road surface to be so slick....So it is my fault as I was going too fast for the road conditions. I take full responsibility.

Spunky99

I finally uploaded the pics I took earlier in the week at the dealer of the wrecked bike. I really didn't want to look at the bike again as it makes me sick to my stomach.

OK here we have the first picture. I want you to notice the bar end is hardly scratched and if you look close, the brake fluid reservoir is all scratched up.
There was no way the reservoir could have hit the ground as the bike only was laid down on the right side and it didn't flip or anything. I purposely put it down on the delrin plastic frame slider seen in pic #2. So what the hell happened to the bike after the accident?
Pic#1

Pic#2

Look closely at the third pic. The headlight housing is shattered and the mirror is snapped off as is on the other side in pic #1. All of this plastic in the front was pristine after the accident as it wasn't touched at all. It looks like someone took a baseball bat to the bike. The windshield was on the bike and not touched and you can see the plastic screws snapped off in the pic.
Pic#3

Someone destroyed this bike after the crash and because I was incapacitated I had no choice but to be backboarded, cervical collared and taken to the hospital by the Fire Department who arrived ahead of the CHP.
This is what pisses me off..not what I did to the bike but the $9800.00 worth of damage done after the crash.
I could have driven the bike away from the crash. Scratched bar end and frame slider and the Viper can took a bad hit. Repair was 199 for the Viper, 10 for the slider and a bar end for what 25 bucks. Less than 3 hundred and simple to repair in about an hour if I did the work. That is what makes me sick to my stomach....

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spunky99

I know this is an older post but I have an update.
The finance company sent me some refund $$ for the extended warranty and such to go with the tiny $$ the insurance company sent me. I also received my 140 registration fee from CA for 2012 registration.

I received my auto insurance policy and noticed it was 35% higher this year than last. I called and was told it was due to my fault in the $9800.00 damage to the bike. They suggested I mail the insurance adjuster and the Manager with my concerns to get the case reopened and re-evaluated.
I mailed them my concerns and they assigned a new adjustor.

#1 the CHP indicated that the crash was my fault....I accept that....period
#2 The CHP only indicated a "Cracked headlight" and " scratched right side fairing". No other damage was indicated in the report at all.

I made the argument that a shattered front cowl with torn off mirrors that broke off the cowl base plastic were more obvious and that the left side fairing was cracked and all scratched up too. There is a lot more severe damage to the whole bike than what was mentioned in the official CHP report. The pictures show all the obvious damage and a cracked headlight is nothing compared to the rest of the damage. If they want to use the CHP report as the official record of fault and damage then a new headlight lens and right side fairing is all I'm responsible for. That's about $1000.00 to replace at most.
I informed them that the accident was interpreted incorrectly based on the evidence at hand and that I was made a scapegoat for the much more serious damage done by the tow company. If they want to eat the cost of the damage, I don't care but to assign this to me is not fair. I will have to pay much higher insurance rates no matter where I go based upon their assignment of almost 10,000.00 damage to the bike due to me and I can and will take them to court to recover the excess cost of insurance for the next 5 years and damage to my reputation (Superior Court). All they will be allowed to take into court is the CHP report and the pictures they have and I have my pictures I took at the dealer. The pictures do not back up the CHP report of only a scratched right fairing and cracked headlight at all.
They reassigned the case to a Senior Adjustor and I am waiting for the result.
I'm hoping I can get the amount that I'm responsible for dropped down and my insurance lowered as a result without having to sue.
The insurance company just blamed the whole deal on me so they don't have to deal with the reality of suing or settling with the tow company after litigation and Attorney's fees. Eff them....

DragonBlu

Give them commi's hell John! I've been wound up in their crap before and it just drags a guy down. There is no fair deal for the insured.They just take your money and screw you and not even a pat on the ass when you leave their place of business.:D

Spunky99

I received an answer today and it basically says that if I am at fault, it doesn't matter if the accident was a 100.00 damage or 10,000.00 in damage, I am responsible for it all no matter who or how it happened. They are refusing to acknowledge the CHP report of damage or look into any possibility that the excess damage was done by the tow company. I will mail them back and get this in writing. I'm sure a Judge will not agree with their thought process.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Spunky99

The answer they sent me is basically promoting this premise.
I'll use a car as an example.
If the accident is clearly your fault but you only dented a quarter panel on your car, any subsequent damage to the vehicle is also your fault no matter how or where it happened after the accident. So the tow truck rammed the car and slammed it into some other cars at the tow yard. Then someone took a baseball bat to the car at the tow yard and basically crushed all the sheet metal in and the insurance company decides it's totaled. You get the honor of being responsible for the entire cost, not just the small amount of damage you caused in the original accident. Your car is totaled, you get nothing out of it and your insurance rate goes through the roof.
Welcome to the world of AAA Insurance.
The Police will do nothing without video or a witness and considers this a civil matter.
Suing the tow company is useless because again there is no proof the damage occurred by the tow truck or at their facility without a witness or video. This is precisely why the insurance company refuses to go after them and places the whole burden on the insured.
It'll take a couple of weeks to put together the lawsuit and file it myself. Then the fun begins as I paper them and subpoena then to death as we get to examine all the accidents reviewed from their office to see a pattern of abuse by them. Should be interesting to watch them squirm after I demand close to 1 ton of hardcopy evidence....

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

porky45

$9800 in damages? The bike isn't even worth that much brand new!

Spunky99