Driving Test

Kansas5

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just bought my FZ6R last Wednesday. It's the first and only bike I've even ridden. I'm feeling pretty comfortable on it, and wanted to get my motorcycle endorsement next week. I'm considering still taking the MSF class, but would like to get my license before that so I can ride around without worry. Just curious on how difficult the skill test is at the DMV to pass. I've heard it's best to do it on a moped or scooter that is 150cc or more. Others have told me that it's not difficult to pass though on a bike. Thoughts from you experts?

Thanks in advance - Blake

All depends on the state... In VA all I had to do was a couple start/stops and a circle inside some cones. Pretty much it. Took barely 10 minutes. But it varies by state.

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just bought my FZ6R last Wednesday. It's the first and only bike I've even ridden. I'm feeling pretty comfortable on it, and wanted to get my motorcycle endorsement next week. I'm considering still taking the MSF class, but would like to get my license before that so I can ride around without worry. Just curious on how difficult the skill test is at the DMV to pass. I've heard it's best to do it on a moped or scooter that is 150cc or more. Others have told me that it's not difficult to pass though on a bike. Thoughts from you experts?

Thanks in advance - Blake

Take the MSF course first so you don't have to worry about the riding test. Here in Indiana, if you pass the MSF Basic Rider course you do not have to take the BMV riding test to get your endorsement.

The course is designed to teach you. The endorsement riding test is a test. I would worry more about the test than the class.

Jim

Texas is the same way, take the MSF, and you don't need the riding portion with the DPS office.

And now, DPS doesn't even offer the ridden test, you MUST take the MSF to be endorsed.

MSF was fun though, especially in the pouring rain when I took mine. Learned how to ride better, and learned what to do and not do in the rain.

I'll probably end up taking the MSF course, but for anywhere around me in the Kansas City area the course is booked a month ahead. I don't really want to keep "sneaking out" on my bike and worrying about getting a ticket for not having the endorsement. Also, my insurance agent told me that he doesn't think it provides a discount on insurance, which sucks. Having to pay $200 and getting no discount seems unfair. Especially since there are hundreds of courses to take for driving a car that provide discounts on insurance. Seems like a motorcycle course would provide more benefit than a course for driving a car...

I'll probably end up taking the MSF course, but for anywhere around me in the Kansas City area the course is booked a month ahead. I don't really want to keep "sneaking out" on my bike and worrying about getting a ticket for not having the endorsement. Also, my insurance agent told me that he doesn't think it provides a discount on insurance, which sucks. Having to pay $200 and getting no discount seems unfair. Especially since there are hundreds of courses to take for driving a car that provide discounts on insurance. Seems like a motorcycle course would provide more benefit than a course for driving a car...

I'm in jersey, I rented a automatic scooter for a 100 bucks, passed on the test without ever riding a bike on the street.

MSF course, then license ... :)

Like other said, on some states like Texas if you passed the MSF course you not need to take the riding part.

It's fun and if you don't pass it that's actually kind of good, because your own safety. The course was designed to get you out of trouble and validate your abilities.

The theory is piece of cake, if you read the guide.

The riding part is not hard but the 8 figure can be a bit challenge depending of the bike and skills. But nothing to be worried about.

Back