Drag Racing the FZ6R

Apbowler

Hey guys! I'm heading to the strip soon, wondering if you guys had any tips for me? Doesn't seem like you talk about it very much, but hey, who knows.

Here's the plan so far:

-Increase suspension
-Lower pressure in rear tire
-Remove the gigantic mirrors

Any ideas on if lowering the front would help? I was planning on lowering it some anyways, and I feel like it could help stop those wheelies.

If any of you have raced, I'm shooting for 110MPH, bet $20 against my Dad, that's why I'm looking for some tips ;). I only weigh 120lbs, so that helps! :D

Thanks!

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Apbowler

Strip all the weight that you can find on the bike. Low fuel level (bring a fuel jug with you) Keep the psi spec... maybe go high on the front a bit then bleed it off afterward.

Other than that not much you can do.
What would you say to bleed the PSI to in the rear? Good idea on bringing a gas can, didn't think of that!

I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. I'm hoping that it won't rain and I'll be able to go Wednesday. If not, I'll have to wait until Saturday.

In case you guys are interested, here's some footage of some bikes going down the strip I'll be at. Pretty sweet if you ask me :Sport:

Vroom Vroom!

MC#4

You have nothing to gain by lowering the tire pressure in the rear. The 6r will not spin at the track with standard psi. You would actually lose e.t. since the low pressure would casue more drag/friction on the track. I would do as marthy suggested and bump up the front tire to decrease friction.

Probably the best thing you can do is practice launching the bike at different rpm's and vary your clutch slippage until you find the perfect launch. You don't wanna bog down and you don't wanna wheelie. You just want the front end to float above the road. Here's some vids of when I took my bike so you can see my launch. (nothing spectacular.) http://www.600cc.org/forum/f90/took-my-bike-drags-23541/

Also note. I only hit 102mph and I'm 170lbs. 110 is gonna be pretty hard even with your light weight.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Apbowler

You have nothing to gain by lowering the tire pressure in the rear. The 6r will not spin at the track with standard psi. You would actually lose e.t. since the low pressure would casue more drag/friction on the track. I would do as marthy suggested and bump up the front tire to decrease friction.

Probably the best thing you can do is practice launching the bike at different rpm's and vary your clutch slippage until you find the perfect launch. You don't wanna bog down and you don't wanna wheelie. You just want the front end to float above the road. Here's some vids of when I took my bike so you can see my launch. (nothing spectacular.) http://www.600cc.org/forum/f90/took-my-bike-drags-23541/

Also note. I only hit 102mph and I'm 170lbs. 110 is gonna be pretty hard even with your light weight.
Ah, I thought Marthy was saying to keep the idea of lowering the pressure in the rear tire. Got it, wasn't sure if it would help or not. I've read it had, that's why.

Before I posted I did a quick search and watched the vids; nice job! I've kind of done some "testing" on a flat road near home, I'm not all that worried to be honest. I think I'll be shifting a bit sooner than you did, around 10 or 11k RPM's. No need to take it to 12 or 13, kinda seems like you're wasting time/power staying on the red-line. Also, I'm a bit surprised you didn't take your mirrors off, those things are like huge ears! Not sure how much drag they cause, but it'll be enough to make me want to take them off, which I forgot to add to my list! From the video it looks like you have a lot more gas than I plan on putting in; half a gallon at most. Ah, and I just noticed, I definitely will be speed shifting instead of using the clutch, which should help.

I know there's not that much I can do with this bike, but hey, a man can try ;]
--
Good luck Nasty! Definitely post some vids if you get some. The track is an awesome experience, my dad used to race bikes all across the country. Not sure why it took so long to get me back into it!

Last edited:

MC#4

Ah, I thought Marthy was saying to keep the idea of lowering the pressure in the rear tire. Got it, wasn't sure if it would help or not. I've read it had, that's why.

Before I posted I did a quick search and watched the vids; nice job! I've kind of done some "testing" on a flat road near home, I'm not all that worried to be honest. I think I'll be shifting a bit sooner than you did, around 10 or 11k RPM's. No need to take it to 12 or 13, kinda seems like you're wasting time/power staying on the red-line. Also, I'm a bit surprised you didn't take your mirrors off, those things are like huge ears! Not sure how much drag they cause, but it'll be enough to make me want to take them off, which I forgot to add to my list! From the video it looks like you have a lot more gas than I plan on putting in; half a gallon at most. Ah, and I just noticed, I definitely will be speed shifting instead of using the clutch, which should help.

I know there's not that much I can do with this bike, but hey, a man can try ;]
--
Good luck Nasty! Definitely post some vids if you get some. The track is an awesome experience, my dad used to race bikes all across the country. Not sure why it took so long to get me back into it!
Yeah Sounds like you got the right idea. I wasn't going all out for my runs, just a fun night trying to win some races. Speed shifting can absolutely save some time, I got the occasional missed shift doing it with the 6r on the street and like I said I wanted consistency to win races. I don't have any hard evidence for optimal shift points but I would agree that redlining every shift isn't the best way. It did seem to lose power after 11k.

I would be wary of running extremely low amounts of fuel. I'm not sure where the pickup is on the 6r but under high acceleration you don't want to be sucking air instead of fuel.

Good luck. It'd be pretty cool if you could crack 110mph with it.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Apbowler

FZ6R Weight Reduction List - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

that should help you a lot!!!
I hope you have a tbr pipe with a powercommander and the accl pump on also the dyno quickshifter would helpDynojet Quick Shifter Yamaha FZ6R - Indysuperbikes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
You hope? Haha, I do not have a tbr, although it would definitely help. I actually plan to go through some of that list and see what I can do.

And a quickshifter on a fizzer? I think that's a bit much, this bike really isn't meant for drag races IMO. I'd rather get an airshifter, but only when I get a literbike.

Chevyfazer

Honestly if this is your first time taking your bike to the strip I wouldn't worry about doing anything too it other than not filling it up (leave it on like a 1/4 tank) before you get there. There's so many little things that can effect your time for a beginner that really the best thing you can do is to relax and focus on your launch.

JSP

Super Moderator
Motorcyclistonline shows it as:

Corrected 1/4-mile: 12.7 sec. @ 104 mph

That is will veteran rider so good luck! ;)