Downshift points during break-in

atx748

I recently purchased a new FZ6R, and after reading the owner's manual, I had a question about the 'shift down points' on page 6-3.

The upshift points during the break-in period make sense to me, but the downshift points do not. From 1st to 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd, etc. the MPHs are listed as 12, 19, 25, 31, & 37. However, ALL of the downshift points (from 6th --> 5th, 5th --> 4th, etc.) are listed as 16mph, except for 2nd to 1st which has no recommended point. This doesn't make sense to me. Is this a misprint, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
ATX748

RoadTrip

Honestly, the easy break-in stuff seems kinda silly to me. I am in the 'break it in like you stole it' camp, but within reason. For example, the first 200 miles I wouldn't exceed 5000RPM, but then after that I would take short bursts up to 7000 pretty regularly with normal riding around 5000 RPM shifting. So, a 'burst' would be Rev it up without changing gears til you hit 7000, then shut the throttle completely and let it wind down with engine braking only (do this safely on long straights with no traffic).

I would stay at the 7000 limit until you start to make that a normal shift point, then around 1000 miles I would go ahead and start exploring the upper end with full roll on's up to Rev limit. Now if you are a beginning rider, then you need to balance this aggressive break-in procedure with you own skill level to ensure you aren't riding too fast. I don't think the FZ6R has any known oil burning issues, so rings will probably seat fine even with an easier break in.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with MPH vs Shift points, just focus on RPMs and make sure you are not riding too fast, you can achieve the RPMs in first or second and you shouldn't be going overly fast, but it will be snatchy in first gear at high RPM, just work your way up. Finally, make sure you work on your clutch smoothness so as not to let it out to fast after a downshift from high RPM, that will make the bike lurch and can lock the rear since the FZ6R does not have a slipper clutch.

Seppel

I usually rev match downshift at 3k rpm for most gears while in city traffic or when coming to a stop. Depends on the freeway. It all depends on how it feels for you, and you're not really going to hurt the engine or anything as long as you're remotely good at shifting.