DOT Turn signals

Does anybody know what the DOT rules are for authorized turn signals!? I was at the experienced riders course yesterday and they were saying that my rear turn signals are not DOT approved! I have the Competition Werkes FE! I had just assumed the were approved!

uscgduncan

Most states:
No closer than 4" to headlight
Size and durability of lense
Amber colored lense
Direct Forward/rear facing for visibility

But...turn signals are not required for street use. Only a geadlight, brake light and tag light are required. However, if you have turn signals they must meet DOT guidlines to be legal.
This is how I understand it.

dannymac702

Have same FE from Competition Werkes. Websight had a disclaimer warning that some of their products may not be street legal. Package the signals came in said they were not DOT approved. I installed them anyway and have not had a problem despite having Metro police behind me more than once. The problem I forsee is changing a bulb if one burns out. No screws holding lens on--maybe they snap into place but dont want to risk breaking it until I dont have a choice.

bmw675

i dont know which bulbs came with the that fe, but i have the targa and the instructions w/ it said they were not dot approved.

BluePill

Most states:
No closer than 4" to headlight
Size and durability of lense
Amber colored lense
Direct Forward/rear facing for visibility

But...turn signals are not required for street use. Only a geadlight, brake light and tag light are required. However, if you have turn signals they must meet DOT guidlines to be legal.
This is how I understand it.
Does depend on state law as far as being fitted on bike. Example, NY requires them on all bikes built after 8/1985 in order to pass annual safety inspection, but does not mention "dot" certification. Couldn't find any info on USA DOT website (no surprise) except for trucks and trailers. Checked my FZR and WR250R - Both had "dot" stamped on the headlights and taillights, but only manufacturer numbers on the turn signal lenses.

Ask the person who told you they weren't approved how they know.