Does the FZ6R lack power?

Doggman

I'm very close to buying an 09 FZ6R with 2100 miles on it right now. I'm actually going to test drive it tomorrow so I guess I will be able to answer this question for myself tomorrow but for some reason (most likely because this 600cc bike is much slower than the 600cc R6 which is what I was originally looking at getting) i feel like this bike is going to lack power. True or false?

I have never ridden a bike but I do know whats fast and whats not (ridden on all different size 4 wheelers including 800cc+ and I've driven a supercharged jet ski that puts out over 250 horsepower and also been in many fast cars). Now i know none of those are even similar to riding a bike but acceleration is acceleration so in some since they should be comparable. Some small motorized vehicles (smaller 200cc or so 4wheelers) just kinda accelerate but you pretty much floor them everywhere you go.. bigger 4wheelers (800cc+) if you floor them you get thrown back and you have to hold on for life (no wheelies tho) and your reaction is generally "damn... that was intense". Now my friends jet ski (most expensive and fastest jet ski on the market right now) is insanely fast and you can easily throw yourself off if you don't know what your doing and when you floor it the jet ski just about jumps out of the water and peoples reactions are generally along the lines of :eek::eek:

I feel like the FZ6R is going to be like the 800cc 4wheeler and the R6 is going to be like the jet ski. What are yalls opinions? Is the FZ6R sluggish/lacking in power for what it is? Am I going to be wishing I had got the R6 come Christmas time?

jakeaz

I like it i another plus is insurance is half the price mines 80 bucks per month and my freind with an r6 insurance is almost triple mine at 250 per month its crazy

See red

If you are looking to actually ride, this bike is great. If you want to just get a bike that is fast and learn how to recover, then get the R1 an go for broke.:thumbup:

Osoreru

If you are looking to actually ride, this bike is great. If you want to just get a bike that is fast and learn how to recover, then get the R1 an go for broke.:thumbup:

:thumbup: Gonna have to agree with this.

Edit: The FZ6R, when I'm actually pushing it to accelerate (and I still haven't even remotely pushed it to it's limits) still throws me back enough to remind me that it has plenty of power. I'm 6'3 and ~250 lbs, and even in 4th gear I've pulled the front wheel off the ground. That being said though: As far as I understand it, the others (R6, R1 and the like) as a general rule are going to still have more power. The 6R, if I remember correctly, is the exact same engine as the R6 only toned down, so that should give you a pretty good idea of it. I don't regret at all getting the 6R over the FZ1 I was looking at originally. Cheaper payments, cheaper insurance, and better gas mileage. I can deal without the extra power that might tempt me to do something stupid.

Last edited:

Deanohh

This could help answer:http://www.600cc.org/forum/f6/motor-trend-11-car-shootout-vs-fz6r-specs-23269/

The riding position is a factor too. Personally, I can't stand the supersport (R6) riding position for more than 15 minutes.

I would estimate that the FZ6R will do everything the R6 will do up until about 100mph.

Never rode a bike before the FZ6R might give you all you can handle right now.

It's a personal choice. Nobody can guess what you are going to want later. It's not unusual for a guy to get tired of a bike and want a different one. It's not always a power thing. If you're getting a good deal on the 6R its a good way to get started. You can always decide what you really want later after you have more experience.

Doggman

Okay i've thought a little more about it and the FZ6R really may be the perfect bike for me because I honestly probably can't afford the R6. How do they compare to the Ninja 250s and CBR250?

I don't know why I even get caught up in the "status" of my bike compared to other bikes. Its so superficial but I'm 18 so give me a break.. In all honesty i just need to shutup and go ride the bike. I'm sure its going to have way more than enough power for me considering it'll be my first bike.

This could help answer:http://www.600cc.org/forum/f6/motor-trend-11-car-shootout-vs-fz6r-specs-23269/

The riding position is a factor too. Personally, I can't stand the supersport (R6) riding position for more than 15 minutes.

I would estimate that the FZ6R will do everything the R6 will do up until about 100mph.

Never rode a bike before the FZ6R might give you all you can handle right now.

It's a personal choice. Nobody can guess what you are going to want later. It's not unusual for a guy to get tired of a bike and want a different one. It's not always a power thing. If you're getting a good deal on the 6R its a good way to get started. You can always decide what you really want later after you have more experience.
^^ nice post. thanks. If your statement about it being the same up to 100 then thats plenty good enough for me.

Last edited:

Kdubb223

fz6r hp ~ 68-72
torque ~ 44

r6 hp ~110
torque ~44

So its pretty clear which one has more power and is faster. Also 6r is 470 lbs wet...

I have rode my buddy's 06 R6 and its a blast but no way is it comfortable and definitely more power then I need riding around California. 6r is a great bike!

Doggman

fz6r hp ~ 68-72
torque ~ 44

r6 hp ~110
torque ~44

So its pretty clear which one has more power and is faster. Also 6r is 470 lbs wet...

I have rode my buddy's 06 R6 and its a blast but no way is it comfortable and definitely more power then I need riding around California. 6r is a great bike!
your the one i need to hear this from since you've been on both bikes. thanks for posting.

edit: they have the same torque?!?!?! that means similar if not the same acceleration right?? HP is all top end, no?

i could care less about top end speed.. its all in the acceleration for me

Last edited:

See red

This bike should be enough to keep you happy for a long while. I would think if you are looking to enjoy it go take the MSF, then sign up for some track days and really learn.... By the time you bring the bike to it's limits, you will be looking for a new bike in a few years, and you will be spending moneys on track days.

I hope you enjoy it, just please don't fall to the stupid crap that most of you young guys do.

See red

No the accelleration is linear on the 6r and the r6 has no pull down low, then all of the sudden it comes on with a rush, I have ridden both as well. I prefer to have the comfort and a bit more of a sport touring type.

Deanohh

The power curves are nearly identical up to 9k rpm. The R6 gets its extra power by continuing to rev into the 9-13k rpm range.

The FZ6R spins pretty easily up to 9-10 k, which is plenty zippy enough for most riders. Ive had a lot of bikes and it is better than most. I usually found myself in riding around in the 5-8k rpm range most of the time....

Doggman

The power curves are nearly identical up to 9k rpm. The R6 gets its extra power by continuing to rev into the 9-13k rpm range.

The FZ6R spins pretty easily up to 9-10 k, which is plenty zippy enough for most riders. Ive had a lot of bikes and it is better than most. I usually found myself in riding around in the 5-8k rpm range most of the time....
good shit. it sounds to me like the power gained from the R6 is not the kinda power i'm interested in. I've now almost ruled out the R6. Thanks for all the help guys. Now to go test drive my potential new bike tomorrow! Could be the proud owner of a 09 FZ6R tomorrow!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Deanohh

And the 6R takes regular gas. Mine ran perfect on it. Others disagree but please don't start the gas octane argument again.

UselessPickles

they have the same torque?!?!?! that means similar if not the same acceleration right?? HP is all top end, no?
Not really. Peak HP and TQ numbers really tell you nothing about how a vehicle accelerates. It all depends on the entire torque curve, gear ratios, max engine speed, weight of the vehicle, etc.

Rather than guessing and quoting meaningless numbers, how about I show you exactly how the FZ6R accelerates compared to some other bikes?

The 2010 R6 actually has a horrible torque curve, unless you're always racing above 50mph and staying in the best gear for max acceleration. The 2006 CBR600RR has a much better torque curve, so let's use that for the "FZ6R vs a 600cc sportbike" comparison. The FZ6R can actually accelerate faster up to about 35mph (assuming no clutch slipping), but beyond that, the CBR kills the FZ6R - no comparison. For example, right around 70mph, the CBR can accelerate nearly twice as fast as the FZ6R!

Where the FZ6R shines is when you're not trying to be a racer and you just want to enjoy riding a motorcycle that handles well and has enough power to be lots of fun, but is also comfortable for daily commuting and/or longer trips.

Especially for a rider without experience/skill with high-powered bikes, the FZ6R would actually be more fun on curvy roads because it will be much more forgiving. If you're in too high of a gear for the corner, it will still have enough low/mid-range torque to pull you through without complaining, and when you're in the "perfect" gear for max acceleration, you won't kill yourself if you twitch the throttle because of a bump or sneeze.

Last edited:

peterstoker

if you want pure acceleration the 6r is lacking, but in saying that its faster then most cars out there and can easily hit 60mph in under 4 seconds, in my opinion first bike give the 6r a go i did and im not complaining, i also have the need for speed, if you get over it you can always just sell it, and upgrade. then at least you'll have some experience buy then and a better idea of what your looking for, as for the r6 most things ive read is its rubbish on the road and built purely for racing! buy the 6r you wont regret it!

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited: