Do you use Engine Stop switch to turn your bike off?

jocampo

Hi,

The sales guy told me weeks ago follow this procedure after long trips:

Engine Stop switch>let the fan run a few min>start engine>Turn the bike off using key

Of course, this is after long trips.

Do you guys follow that process? I believe modern engines are good enough to tolerate the changes in temperature much, much better.

I would like to hear some opinions and thanks in advance.

AFDavis11

I always use the stop switch. Failed my first driver's exam not using it during the test. I don't worry about the engine.

Sage

I kill it with the switch, then turn off the bike no matter how long the trip. The fans are there to cool the engine when it gets too hot while running, they aren't going to do much while it is off, I have let the fans run for 5 min and it didn't cool any faster in my experiences.

Last edited:

Fulkon

Does anybody use the kickstand to kill the engine? I've done it a couple of times, but usually I use the ignition switch to kill it.

rjohnson5481

I kill it with the switch, then turn off the bike no matter how long the trip. The fans are there to cool the engine when it gets too hot while running, they aren't going to do much while it is off, I have let the fans run for 5 min and it didn't cool any faster in my experiences.
Maybe it was the outside temps that helped but for me when i ride the local mountain and we stop about halfway up i'm normally around 220's if i pull the key and go to the bathroom in 2-3 mins i can come back to higher 220's. if i leave the fan on it will usually drop the temps below 220's.

But to answer the question, i use mine almost everytime i get off. I let the fan run while i'm taking my gear off and such, It can't hurt.

Last edited:

jocampo

Hi Sage,

Thanks for reply.

Well, I think the idea of let the fan running while the engine is off, is in order to cool off the coolant, not the engine. So when you turn the bike on again, the coolant, which now is not so hot, will "remove" part of the heat from engine, faster.

At least, that's the theory behind that. But I've been running bikes for only 4 years, so wanted to hear opinion from more experience riders or even mechanics.

Last edited:

24KMACH

I use the key swt. to turn the engine off. If you use the emergency swt. and forget to turn the key off it is not a good thing. The battery will dislike you. Cars have ele. fans also and no need for a kill swt. :D But what do I know? I starting riding on the first Yamaha in 1960. A YD2 two stroke. :D

Bloke

I use the key.

Manual says 100 - 120+ degrees centigrade leave fan running (turn off with key, turn ignition back on), below that just turn the thing off. Above that "stop immediately, leave fan running"

Normally after riding the quieter roads on the way home bike has cooled to about 95c so I put it in first, key off, steering lock, flick kill switch, lock up and walk away.

Only reason it's in gear and kill switch is on... Theft, anything that makes mr bike thief screw around for a bit longer, gives me more time to catch them and kick their ass. If it had a fuel tap, I'd turn that off too.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

jocampo

Only reason it's in gear and kill switch is on... Theft, anything that makes mr bike thief screw around for a bit longer, gives me more time to catch them and kick their ass. If it had a fuel tap, I'd turn that off too.
:D

Not suitable in some countries though, better leave the man run away with the bike.

Nick89

:D

Not suitable in some countries though, better leave the man run away with the bike.
I have a CCW and carry a Springfield 1911 .45 as much as I can and I have the scorpio i900 in my pocket. Alarm goes off and I go investigate. If words are not enough to scare them off my best friend will.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

FitZ6R

Cars have ele. fans also and no need for a kill swt.
Actually, a lot of cars keep the fan running after the key is off. But they also have enclosed engines, as well as more battery capacity.

As far as the FZ6R is concerned, as long as it's not boiling over, doens't matter.

rjohnson5481

What I do:

Use kill switch, get off and remove gear as fan runs, re start the bike( this allows coolant from the radiator to be pushed through the engine) and it drops 7-10 degrees instantly. :cool:

Our summers get to 110*F degrees with 95% humidity so it's smart to do this. Even before starting a COLD bike in the dead summer the temp gauge says 120*F
Just did this works perfect took a video that'll upload tonight. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FitZ6R

Our summers get to 110*F degrees with 95% humidity so it's smart to do this.
BTW, humidity makes us sweat-cooled humans feel hotter, but it doens't affect your bike's cooling.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member