Do i need new chain?

Nrstar8088

Hello.
I did the 1 down 2 up sprocket change for more acceleration.

I liked it a lot and am thinking of going to 50 teeth on the rear and keeping the 15 front sprocket.

Basically I want the most low end acceleration I can get. I don't care too much about top speed.

So my question is... will I need to get a new chain due to the increase of rear sprocket teeth?

If so can anyone advise me on the exact type/length I would need?

The chain I have isn't that old so if possible I'd like to keep it
Will I still need some type of chain tool If I am able to keep it? Or just adjust it afterwards with the adjustment nuts.?

A mechanic did the original change but I want to do this one myself. I don't have any chain tools but I don't mind buying if I know what I need.

Thanks in advance.

BTW had anyone gone to 50 teeth in rear? Is it too much and should I stick to 49?
I had a mt 09 that got stolen and I loved that acceleration and I know I can't match it on fz6r but I'd like to just get a bit more if I can.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Half-Click Up

I originally wanted to go 50 in the rear, but couldn't locate a 50 tooth sprocket at the time.
I went 15/49 with a 120 link chain and have been running that on the track for quite some time.
Top speed is 117.

jjmaine

Heres a cheap way to get a good chain breaker/rivet tool.

Buy this chain tool on Amazon and then buy the Motion Pro replacement rivet tool. The cheap chain tool works awesome except for riveting chains because the metal is softer than it should be. Just replace the rivet tool woth the Motion Pro (its the exact same size) and you got yourself a good functional chain tool for cheapIMG_2017.pngIMG_2016.jpg

jjmaine

There are cheaper chain tools on Amazon that will probably work as well, I’m sure they are all copies of the motion pro. I just posted a photo of the one I got because I KNOW it works😉

Nrstar8088

I originally wanted to go 50 in the rear, but couldn't locate a 50 tooth sprocket at the time.
I went 15/49 with a 120 link chain and have been running that on the track for quite some time.
Top speed is 117.

Did you have 15/48 before you went to 15/49? If so did the 49 make a noticeable difference?

117 is fine with me. I don't think I get too much better than that with my 15/48 set up actually.

If you went to 50 do you think the 120 would have worked?

Nrstar8088

Heres a cheap way to get a good chain breaker/rivet tool.

Buy this chain tool on Amazon and then buy the Motion Pro replacement rivet tool. The cheap chain tool works awesome except for riveting chains because the metal is softer than it should be. Just replace the rivet tool woth the Motion Pro (its the exact same size) and you got yourself a good functional chain tool for cheapView attachment 42105View attachment 42104

I Appreciate the advice. Think I might do exactly that. I was wondering how well that kit worked. I see it and others like it also.

If you know it works then that makes me feel much more confident in buying it. Thanks!

Half-Click Up

Did you have 15/48 before you went to 15/49? If so did the 49 make a noticeable difference?

117 is fine with me. I don't think I get too much better than that with my 15/48 set up actually.

If you went to 50 do you think the 120 would have worked?
I went straight from 16/46 to 15/49. The difference in acceleration is as dramatic as you'd expect.
120 link chain will work for the 50T rear, yep.