DJ/Dance Music Thread

dcBear78

Fark... I don't know of anyone here who would bother for anything under $100/hour especially if you supply your own PA. But different countries and economies I guess.

I've seen some amazing US EDM festivals... You guys really have gotten on board with this music. Here is a video of an Aussie one, our Defqon.1 which is nowhere near as big as the Euro one, but it looks like it would have been a lot of fun. Kind of a bit more intimate with less people maybe. And camping... And the ladies... :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJe7VV0yis]Defqon.1 Festival Australia 2012 - Official Aftermovie - YouTube[/ame]

kevin8198

Elite Member
Last edited:

CtrlAltDl

Well For a brand new DJ and all I have to take is two speakers, an S2, and a laptop I think it's worth it. Plus I just get to drink and party most of the time too and get paid to do it.

We went to Freaknight in Seattle, WA a few days ago. It was EPIC! 22,000 people at the WaMu convention center. Armin Van Buren headlined, we also saw Bingo Players, Netsky, Caspa, Chuckie, Dada Life, Flux Pavilion, Laid Back Luke, Le Castlevania, Modestep, Morgan Page, Nicky Romero, and Noisia. There were more producers there but those are the one's we ended up seeing some or most of. Nicky Romero and Flux stayed at the same hotel we did but we didn't see them. It took about an hour to get in the door but everything was so worth it!!
Wow, that is quite the line-up, I can't believe I missed that!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dcBear78

The US is really picking up on the EDM thing. Seems like most of the good producers are coming from there.

Didn't say the US had crap.... Said was very late to the game (despite inventing it). As you well know. Europe in particular has been into EDM for decades, so too Australia to a large extent (our media is still partly influenced by the UK culture). But the US seems to be really making up for lost time. All the festivals look amazing (I'm looking at you Electric Daisy Carnival...) and Miami is now spoken about alongside Ibiza as a party destination.

For those who want to know how we got to where we are... Here is a cool doco on the culture.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaxGPrg5ew]Idris Elba's "How Clubbing Changed the World" - YouTube[/ame]

dcBear78

Been a while since I did a mix. Been playing a bit with photography recently. But finally put together a little Electro mix.

Also have me a chance to test out Traktor's new key detection. I typically have pretty long transition where a complementary key is essential. Pretty happy with how it worked out.

http://soundcloud.com/dj-drc1/march-electro-mix-1

Feedback and criticism definitely appreciated.

kevin8198

Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member

dcBear78

https://soundcloud.com/dj-drc1/drc1-may-mix

Tracklist for those interested....

1 President Intro (History Mix) By Alexander Metzger
2 Kill The Bug (Original Mix) By Deenk
3 Get Your Hands Up (Original mix) By Sebastien Benett
4 Collide (Original mix) By Splitbreed, Hellberg, Deutgen
5 Bitsize (Original Mix) By Jordy Dazz
6 Super Dope (Heath Renata Remix) By Whiskey Pete, Slop Rock
7 Outer Space (Original Mix) By Conn3cted?
8 4 Play (Original Club Mix) By Steve Castro
9 1981 (Mike Vale & Jerome Robins Remix) By Deadmau5
10 Tilt (Club Mix) By Daddy's Groove, Cryogenix
11 The Code - (Original Mix) By Ummet Ozcan & W&W
12 Freak (Original Mix) By Dogtown Clash
13 Chasing Summers (R3HAB & Quintino Remix) By Tiesto
14 Viper (Original Mix) By Dannic
15 Alive (Cash Cash & Kalkutta remix) By Krewella
16 Devils on Horseback x Brightside By SAVOY x The Knocks
17 Analogital (Hard Rock Sofa) By Marco V
18 We all came from the dark (Original mix) By Daniel Portman & Stanley Ross
19 Vago feat. Nicci (Original Mix) By Nari & Milani, Maurizio Gubellini, Nicci
20 Thrill Me (Original Mix) By Jerome Isma-ae & max Freegrant
21 Requiem (Original Mix) By Mark sixm

dcBear78

FRED REVIVAL!!!!

Been a while since anyone was active here. I've been keeping up with it, here and there. My other creative outlet (photography) has taken a lot of my attention in the last year so haven't played as much as I was. But still belt out the odd mix.

I've kinda given up planning everything out and making an absolutely perfect mix (unless for a comp) and pretty much just get my tunes together and play. So this mix has some rough edges (especially between the 4th and 5th song) and a couple times I bumped the pitch fader for an instant bpm change... Oops!

Here is something a bit different.... Certainly to what I have done before, but much different from what has been put up in this thread by either myself of Kevin.

This is some chilled, funky, house, nu disco with a touch of tech house to round out the mix. Have a listen. I guarantee happy feelings... It is impossible to be angry whilst listening to these tunes.

I imagine this as some kind of late afternoon, DJ playing by the pool, Summery tunes (I know it's Winter there... It isn't here and that's the point). There are no bangers and epic drops. Just chilled grooves, funky bass lines and some remixes of some clubbing classics (credit to those who name them).

Click image to be transported to Summer fun times (and Soundcloud...)

Riccochet

Between 01-05 I DJ'd a lot of hard house/trance and hardstyle around the Philly/A.C/NYC area clubs. Then moved to Charlotte and every freaking club down here plays top 40 crap. F***ers. Could not get a gig. Then all the hardstyle music started turning in to almost a subdued hardcore. I just couldn't adapt. Still have my 1200's and a metric **** ton of vinyl.

Oh, and dubstep makes me want to club baby seals.

Murals

I just joined the forums a few days ago so I'm glad you revived this! I produce actually and make dance music. I mix as well have an S2 with Traktor but I've focused more on producing in the last year than mixing. I'm gonna make a mix soon when I have time so I can share with you guys if you wanna download!
dc that summer mix is sick listening right now. Gonna check out yours after kevin. Also when I get some tracks actually finished completely I'll post em up on soundcloud

kevin8198

Elite Member

dcBear78

I'll give it a whirl, in the mean time check out my new mix as well. Like you this is way different than what I have posted before. Although I unfortunately was making this mix in Below Zero temps, thus the name.

https://soundcloud.com/spokevlar/below-zero-full-mix
Yeah.. Very different to your older stuff. You playing some chillout rooms?

Seeing as this thread is alive and kicking again, here is a mix I made last year for one of my other forums. Was a competition, but votes were sent out to facebook for randoms to vote on, so it came down to a who can promote it the best rather than judge on merit. And I refused to go down that route cause I don't care enough. I make my mixes wholly and solely for my benefit (and those who may listen of their own free will...) I didn't use one of the required acapellas because I just couldn't work out how to fit it in anywhere, so didn't deserve to win anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/dj-drc1/overture-competition-mix
Competition mix for Ausdjforums with set songs and acapellas but freedom to do what you like with them.

Set list...
1. No Eyes ( Original Mix ) - Claptone Feat. Jaw
2. Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix) - Lana Del Rey (DrC1 edit)
3. Vertigo (Original Mix) - Daddy's Groove & Cryogenix
4. Mammoth (Original Mix) - Dimitri Vegas, Moguai & Like Mike
5. Chasing Summers (R3hab & Quintino Remix) - Tiesto
6. D# Fat (Original Mix) - Armin van Buuren & W&W
7. Rasputin (Original Mix) - Hard Rock Sofa
8. Ten (Original Club Mix) - Sander van Doorn & Mark Knight vs Underworld

What I am really proud about is from about mid way into the 5th song onwards there are very few moments where an individual song is playing. I have 2 songs layered over each other for a big section of the end of this. I think it really helped keep the momentum through the end of the mix. I think it worked so seamlessly I can't really even tell where one song starts and finishes, until the last bit with just "Ten" playing by itself (@29:30).

Last edited:

kevin8198

Elite Member