DIY Remove Stickers / Decals

Detrich

my fingernail scuffed up my tank there a bit too when i was removing the sticker. i first used Goo Gone and some strong rubbing with a clean microfiber towel to get rid of all the adhesive. once that was all gone, i used some P21S car wax on the area, and the scratches buffed right out by hand.

car wax has very mild abrasive in it that helps polish out minor clear coat scratches. but, make sure that everything that touches the surface of your bike or car is completely clean. a dirty cloth or scruffy rag will definitely scratch. always use clean cloths and pads.

when applying the wax, don't over saturate the area. dab a bit into the area where the scratch is deepest, gently rub it in and let it sit about a min or two, then wipe it off in a straight, consistent strokes. repeat a few times until the scratch is gone- varying how firm to rub based on judgement- as it might not come out the first time.

the karate kid "wax on wax off" motion is actually how most swirl marks accumulate into car paint- esp when done with not completely clean wash mits, applicator sponges, or towels.

I am pissed. I got very impatient and a little overzealous so now I have some scratches on the tank from that stupid warning sticker. Is there something I can do to fix it if I went through the clear coat a little bit? Is this a catastrophic screw up??

Feeling stupid....

bjpinub

I think I screwed up...

I went to remove the warning sticker on the gas tank and the plastic pulled off, leaving parts of the sticker. I then found myself scraping off the leftover sticker. I took some people's advice and used Goo Gone. I sprayed some on the glue and tried rubbing it off. This didn't work, so I read the label on the bottle. At that point, I put some Goo Gone on the glue and let it set for a minute or two. This did the trick, but now it seems like it stripped off the clear coat because when I rub my fingers over where the sticker was, it is rough, compared to the smooth surface on the rest of the tank.

If I did remove some of the clear coat, what can I do? I am in desperate need for any solutions anyone has.

JSP

Super Moderator
Clean it up and put a good coat of wax on it.

bjpinub

Clean it up and put a good coat of wax on it.
What should I clean it up with? After I got the Goo Gone and glue off, I used eyeglass cleaner (mostly alcohol) to get the remaining glue up.

JSP

Super Moderator
What should I clean it up with? After I got the Goo Gone and glue off, I used eyeglass cleaner (mostly alcohol) to get the remaining glue up.
Just a normal wash and wax... whatever auto soap you prefer. Its the wax that counts. Goo Gone has had some rumors of taking off clear coat. I've used it on my truck tail gate, but am too afraid to use it on my bike. Wax will protect it if it truely did go into the clear coat (for a little bit until you can wax it again).

bjpinub

Well, I got a little sigh of relief this morning. Today was the first day I rode my bike into work (~30 mi). When I got there, I talked with a guy who has been helping me with my motorcycle questions and was the one who suggested I look at the FZ6R. He took a look at my bike where the gas tank warning sticker was and said to take a little more Goo Gone to it because what was there was some remaining glue. I guess I will have to do a little more rubbing when I get home, but at least my stomach has settled a little bit. I guess going over the area with a little wax wouldn't hurt either.

Detrich

Yes. If u don't get all the glue off it creates a haze that "looks" like u damaged the clearcoat. But this is simply glue residue that u still need to remove.

Just apply more goo gone and use a clean microfiber cloth and apply some gently to gradual force- aka elbow muscle- and buff it until the haze is gone. It will come off :)

once done, then use soap n water to gently clean the area- it should look n feel uniform to the surrounding paint. If desired, apply some wax a few times to
bring back some shine. Use straight strokes- no wax on wax off.

If that still isn't enough u can try some mild clear coat polish before waxing. For my cars I use Sonus Paintwork Cleanser with a Porter Cable prior to waxing with P21S. Just don't inhale the fumes too much or u will get high from it. lol. :)

bjpinub

Yes. If u don't get all the glue off it creates a haze that "looks" like u damaged the clearcoat. But this is simply glue residue that u still need to remove.

Just apply more goo gone and use a clean microfiber cloth and apply some gently to gradual force- aka elbow muscle- and buff it until the haze is gone. It will come off :)

once done, then use soap n water to gently clean the area- it should look n feel uniform to the surrounding paint. If desired, apply some wax a few times to
bring back some shine. Use straight strokes- no wax on wax off.

If that still isn't enough u can try some mild clear coat polish before waxing. For my cars I use Sonus Paintwork Cleanser with a Porter Cable prior to waxing with P21S. Just don't inhale the fumes too much or u will get high from it. lol. :)
I did as you and the guy at work stated. I used a little more Goo Gone, and the rest of the residue came right off. I was worried for a while... wondering if I seriously damaged my fairly new toy. After I got the residue off, I used an alcohol wipe to clean up the remaining Goo Gone. I may still try to put a small coat of wax on the tank, since removing the residue may or may not have caused a few light scratches (hard to tell in my poorly lit basement). All in all, I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Detrich

Great to hear :)

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

SLeeVe

Thanks for the pics of the yellow without the stars. I had been contemplating peeling just the stars off since I got it but, like YamahaChick, I couldn't visualize if I'd like it more or not. Seeing this thread gave me the mental ok to remove them.

So far, I've removed the gas tank warning, the windshield sticker, and the stars. I used a heat gun, then Goof Off to remove the residue. The Goof Off didn't appear to damage the surface but I went ahead and used some spray-on car wax just in case.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

c0re

So I attempted to remove the warning sticker on my gas tank a few days ago without looking at this thread first unfortunately. Anyways a lot of residue was left over so today I grabbed some goo gone followed the directions and to my dismay all that did was spread the residue around my tank and now it likes like my tank has been rubbed with sandpaper. (it's not really scratched, I know this because when I run my nail through the thick of it I can see my paint is untouched underneath) anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get rid of this? I'll take a pic and post tomorrow before I do a full wash and wax to see if it helps.

Thanks!

Deathdiesel

Rubbing alchohol, best thing ever for glue residue. Literally just did my tank sticker less than 2min ago, thing ripped to pieces so I had to rip off little itty bits at a time leaving a lot of residue.

Used rubbing alchohol and a cotton pad, and theres none left at all. Fingernails still have some in them though lol.

c0re

thanks I'll give that a shot. If not I'm just going to do a full wash/polish job tomorrow see if that helps.