DIY powdercoating

yfz6r

I anyone has any skill with a paint gun, they can probably powdercoat. You need an air compressor, a water separator for the hose, and a kit Elite HotCoat Powder Coating Kit - Stainless Steel Wire - Powder Coating Handbook - Eastwood. The kit comes with a powdercoating gun

Tat kit comes with a few different colors even. You have to bake the part after spraying In an oven. Once baked, that oven can never be used to cook food again, so if someone has an old oven or some toaster ovens, you are all set. I don't have means to do this while in college.

I figure someone will take an interest in this and give it a try. And maybe some other members would pay to have their parts painted! Some yellow powdercoated parts on my yellow fz would look sick! Or some yellow rims, or red rims on the black bike. Many possibilities.

That kit comes with black and 4 other colors. BTW, I'm not an advertiser or seller I just thought some people may take an interest in this.

Originally say this idea on this thread and asked if I could share the info with you guys.
DIY powder coating - FZ1OA Message Board

Last edited:

Spunky99

viffer800

***snip*** You have to bake the part after spraying In an oven. Once baked, that oven can never be used again, so if someone has an old oven or some toaster ovens, you are all set. ***snip***
DIY powder coating - FZ1OA Message Board
Sounds interesting. However, I suspect that you mean the oven can never be used for baking FOOD again, rather than never be used again, period. It could get pretty expensive having to buy a new oven every time you powder coat something. ;)

yfz6r

Lol I live in a house. House and tuition is paid for by my folks but I cover everything else. I don't have an air compressor or money for anything except books/food/gas right now.

Good idea though, landlord wouldn't think to look in the oven but new inhabitants could get very sick...

A yellow swing-arm and yellow rearsets would compliment the bike very nicely though

yfz6r

Sounds interesting. However, I suspect that you mean the oven can never be used for baking FOOD again, rather than never be used again, period. It could get pretty expensive having to buy a new oven every time you powder coat something. ;)
You are absolutely correct. Edited original post.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Spunky99

Lol I live in a house. House and tuition is paid for by my folks but I cover everything else. I don't have an air compressor or money for anything except books/food/gas right now.

Good idea though, landlord wouldn't think to look in the oven but new inhabitants could get very sick...

A yellow swing-arm and yellow rearsets would compliment the bike very nicely though
First it was Meth houses where they manufacture drugs and the chemicals are toxic as heck. Poor new home owners didn't know why they were sick until it was tested and the meth making chemicals were detected and left over from the previous tenants. Then the house had to be gutted and all new walls and floors installed to remove the chemicals.
Now it's the dirty bikers powder coating their bike parts and curing them in the oven....LOL.....:D

I think building a special oven and curing the parts in it out in the garage is a better idea. I was just kidding about using the oven before you move out.;)

copper-raven

Without electrical current flowing through the object the powder will not stick at all. We powdercoat pieces all the time and built an oven to bake them

BoneJj

here is a decent reference video for you guys related to powder coating:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01zIKxP0Ms]DIY Powder Coating - YouTube[/ame]

I just don't care for his method of holding the piece. I find it best to completely cover a piece like this that it's better to get some extra bolts that you don't care about and just simply put them into the holes then put your wire to those. it will allow for the current transfer and then you can just remove the bolt after.

Another way to do it just to hang the pieces on a metal hook or even put a little solder on there, the bigger the piece the more all you need is just a metal hook to hang the piece from.

The method he used left a line across his part that is not painted, thus a point for the rust to start back to faster,

yfz6r

This kit does come with a power supply that you attach to the part you are painting. Static tubes attach to the gun that create static within the powder, then the part is grounded with an alligator clip. That grounding attracts the charged particles.

BoneJj

This kit does come with a power supply that you attach to the part you are painting. Static tubes attach to the gun that create static within the powder, then the part is grounded with an alligator clip. That grounding attracts the charged particles.
Yeah, that's the obvious factor.... but you don't need to wire it so that you end up leaving exposed metal in areas that you shouldn't.