dirty oil

W

whatever

i was surprised how dirty my oil looked after 1150 miles.....usally go about 1000 miles.

maybe some clutch action between 2900 and 4100 miles.... thats one reason i run the rottela better to chang more offen.

i can't see how yamaha says to change the oil every 4000 miles seems like a long time between changes....try to ride into early dec before i change oil again. winter sucks but fall is cool you can tell i don't have sleds or ski.

W

whatever

chain question

when everybody adjust there chain do you use the same point.... or do you use the top side plate and then the bottom part of the side plate on the chain

i been trying to use the same refrence point.

jcbrown630

i was surprised how dirty my oil looked after 1150 miles.....usally go about 1000 miles.

maybe some clutch action between 2900 and 4100 miles.... thats one reason i run the rottela better to chang more offen.

i can't see how yamaha says to change the oil every 4000 miles seems like a long time between changes....try to ride into early dec before i change oil again. winter sucks but fall is cool you can tell i don't have sleds or ski.
Were you checking it or draining it when you noted the dirtyness.
Most oil after a while looks dirty coming out the drain plug.

bmw675

when everybody adjust there chain do you use the same point.... or do you use the top side plate and then the bottom part of the side plate on the chain

i been trying to use the same refrence point.
ive always used the center of the chain, pins/rivots, for both measurements

W

whatever

same point thats what i thought.... seems like alot play when you figure in the 2 inches.

the oil was dark when i drained the oil..... 1st time since i had the bike did seem dark... might be because i did not change the filter last time also..

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
W

whatever

hey marthy..... where do you get the mobil one oil filters....and how good are they.

how much do they cost ?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

i was surprised how dirty my oil looked
How dirty it looks doesn't mean the oil is bad. If you really want to know the condition of your oil you can send it into BlackStone labs for $25.

W

whatever

i my next change i will go back to =

50 % 15w 40 rottela

50 % 5 5w 40 rottela syn

so far i like that mixture the best

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Do you seriously change your oil every 1000 miles? :confused: That seems like a waste of money and resources....or are you only logging 1000 miles every three months or more? It just seems excessive to me when the engines and oil are designed to use longer.

JSP

Super Moderator
Do you seriously change your oil every 1000 miles? :confused: That seems like a waste of money and resources....or are you only logging 1000 miles every three months or more? It just seems excessive to me when the engines and oil are designed to use longer.

Ya, there is really no reason to change the oil on a modern bike like this every 1k...

The only bike I changed the oil on like that was the Honda Rebel. The manuf. said every 4k, but there was no oil filter on those bikes. So we did about 1500-2000 mile changes.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Roaddawg

All I have to say is, if you track your bike I agree with you change your oil and filter every 400 to 600 miles. But for street use don't worry about it. Modern oil, especially synthetic oil will last easily 4000 miles. Riding around on the street with the usual hard acceleration won't kill your bike. Thrust me, those engine are design to get some serious abuse. All I can suggest you, put your Rotella 5-40 syth with a new filter each time (I'm using the Mobile M1-110) and forget about it. Check your level one a week or about every 500 miles, and enjoy your worry free ride my friend!
That's what I use and the Purolator filters.

W

whatever

yes it is a little overkill...... but i do the work myself and only cost me about 20 bucks.... run the mixture because i like the thicker oil once the temp is up.... and then having some syn in there for cold starts.

cheap insurance.... i go between 1000 and 1500 miles most times.

Last edited by a moderator:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

W

whatever

had some gal jugs of oil left over.... ran short a few times so i mixed them up.

like making my own mixture !!

something you can not buy !

Last edited by a moderator: