Different Direction Upgrade

BKP

Well... we went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday, in Atlanta. Great show, for anyone thinking of going -- Everyone represented, and all the new models, even those six months out from release, were there...

While I'm still (and always will be) a big fan of the 6R, I think I've found my next bike (and it doesn't look like it'll be 09). When I was looking for another bike (and ultimately bought the 6R), also on the short list, was the DL1000 V-Strom. However, it had a few quirks I didn't like, not the least of which was the weight, and seat height. Also, it didn't offer some of the features becoming standard on adventure class bikes, like traction control, adjustable windscreen, ABS, etc.

All that being said... the NEW DL1000 has fixed all that. Reduced the weight, lowered the seat heat (with both a narrower seat profile and lowering seat), re-designed the engine to a 1037cc, better mileage, better handling, and they've redesigned the ugly out of it...

Nice bike:

Dressed out (this is from the show yesterday):

Red, undressed version:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sammy56

That is sweet! I am with you and the DL1000 is on my short list too.....
I had an SV650 many moons ago and I am a Suzuki fan also.

LB

Y

yellowfz

Now there you see I like the VStrom fit and ergonomics, just like the Ducati, Yamaha, Triumph and BMW versions of this style, but I would rip the engine out slap in a Suzuki 4 cylinder and would be happy as a clam then. Just can't get past the 2 cylinder thumper motors. :D
Reason, I just like the power band on the 4 cylinder engines.
I guess that is why I will keep my FZ6R for a while longer. :thumbup:

roundhouse

i like that bike. i sat on one when the show was in Dallas. i like it. I want an adventure bike pretty bad. tiger was my fav but lots of $$$

BKP

Getting a naked bike was on top of my list for now. If I had to get (will in the future) a bike for longer ride that would be it. The Strom 1K is a nice bike and really like the way they redesign the new one.
I definitely hear ya.

The FZ09 actually topped my list until I read (and finally saw/sat on) the 2014 Vee2. It no longer seems to have that over-sized intimidation factor that turns sport/touring enthusiasts off. It'll be out in April/May, however, I still won't pull the trigger til I've demo'd it. At a $12,700 msrp, it has to feel perfect on the road for me...
But, I'm getting to that point where I *do* want to do more long-distance touring on something that'll also handle the twisties... So...

BKP

Now there you see I like the VStrom fit and ergonomics, just like the Ducati, Yamaha, Triumph and BMW versions of this style, but I would rip the engine out slap in a Suzuki 4 cylinder and would be happy as a clam then. Just can't get past the 2 cylinder thumper motors. :D
Reason, I just like the power band on the 4 cylinder engines.
I guess that is why I will keep my FZ6R for a while longer. :thumbup:
Completely understand that. It's one of the prevailing reasons I *really* like the I4 on the 6R as well. The 09 seems to have retained that "smooth," in the triple. At least from what I could tell in a short demo ride. Hence, the need to demo the Vee2 before pulling the trigger. It won't be around the states for a few months yet, but as soon as it is...

BKP

That is sweet! I am with you and the DL1000 is on my short list too.....
I had an SV650 many moons ago and I am a Suzuki fan also.

LB
Let me know when you're ready... maybe we can get a two-fer deal! ;)

ylwf3vr

Don't know much about those bikes... seems strikingly similar to the BMW GS bike (850 or 800 I think?)?

sammy56

Let me know when you're ready... maybe we can get a two-fer deal! ;)
I agree that a demo ride will be necessary...I bet we can find such an event in the spring. I will be ready!
LB

BKP

You should take a look at the BMW S1000R.

Something about it appeals to me..
It's a nice looking bike. More in the Aprillia Tuono V4 category, though, with horsepower in the 160's. (We saw one of those V4's up on Rider's Hill, and it's a pretty formidable bike). I think I read that was a modified S1000RR... semi streetfighter version.
It'd be lots of fun in the twisties and on the track, but, doubt I'd want to take it into V-Strom territory for a 500 mile ride, or anywhere off-road.

Hellgate

The new V Strom looks to be a wonderful bike. The updates look well thought out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk