Did I strip my oil drain plug?

Chucker

ive never used a torque wrench before, and realized this thing could easily put out a ton of torque given its size-
What do you mean by this? You weren't using a pneumatic or power wrench were you? A torque wrench doesn't put out torque, it measures it. I hope you weren't using a power wrench.

blackShawarma

What do you mean by this? You weren't using a pneumatic or power wrench were you? A torque wrench doesn't put out torque, it measures it. I hope you weren't using a power wrench.
No just a click-type torque wrench, but it's 20-100lb, and like 18" long, - and yes a torque wrench measures torque but it also applies it. Given its size, that's what i meant

Chucker

Actually, you're the one that applies it.

blackShawarma

Two weeks later.. boo

OK it's been 2 weeks since the torque wrench incident-

And it is leaking :(

I've gone for a couple rides, and kept a paper towel under the plug when not riding..

After sitting for a few days it accumulates a small puddle (very small, probably ~5 drops over a week).

I tried tightening some more and it does seem to just keep going, I try to leave it at a 'firm' point.

So... the 'right' solution is to replace the oil pan? Any ideas how massive an undertaking that is?
Considering the bike is pretty much new, are any of these fix-it deals worth the risks?

Thanks for all the comments

ChUcK

If it was me, I'd see if I could get a drain plug one size bigger, and drill and tap a new hole. Probably not the "A" answer, but it would work, unless there isn't enough extra metal around the original hole for a slightly bigger one.

I wouldn't trust a heli-coil for a fluid system, even if it works at first.

JSP

Super Moderator
I would never feel comfortable with any other "fix" than a new oil pan. I have heard of heli-coils spinning themselves and stripping the pan again, or oversized drain bolts leaking too.

I would replace the pan... I have been there and thats what I did. Take the fairings off, drop the exhaust, drop the pan. Get new pan, gasket, re-install to the proper torque! Something like 8.9 ft. lb for the pan bolts. Not tight at all. Either way, you should drop the pan, because if you tap it for a heli-coil you will have metal shavings in there now, or if you put a bigger drain bolt, it will create metal shavings too... So if you are going through the whole process anyways, get the new pan. Its not much more than a heli-coil or time sert anyways. I dont like half-ass repairs, I would do it right so you have piece of mind.

Deanohh

The flange of the bolt is where it seals, not the threads. If you want the sure fix, agree that new pan is the way to go. I can't tell how loose or tight yours is, but the more you turn it the worse it will get.... and if it falls out while riding, it would be hard not to crash with the rear tire in a hot oil bath and/or the obvious thing destroy the engine due to no oil.

Last edited: