Did I strip my oil drain plug?

blackShawarma

OK I was doing my first oil change, and whike tightening down the drain plug, with a torque wrench set to the 31ft/lb per the manual, it kind of `slipped` , and now it seems like i can keep tightening, with no end... :(

I can unscrew and screw it back, and it doesn't seem to be leaking now that i added the oil.. did i strip it? Should i just keep an eye out for leaks?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Crocop43

Sounds like u didn't strip it but I would turn it on let it warm up then check for leAks.....if no leaks ur probably good...good luck

herbie

OK I was doing my first oil change, and whike tightening down the drain plug, with a torque wrench set to the 31ft/lb per the manual, it kind of `slipped` , and now it seems like i can keep tightening, with no end... :(

I can unscrew and screw it back, and it doesn't seem to be leaking now that i added the oil.. did i strip it? Should i just keep an eye out for leaks?
If you can keep turning it then it is stripped

ravenmike

You more than likely damaged the threads on you oil plug and not your pan. pick up another one and you should be fine. I would just tighten it alittle and not put too much torque on it.

Deanohh

Yes, if you can keep turning it, it is stripped and it won't tighten up enough. I'd get that torque wrench checked. The drain bolt shouldn't strip at 31 ftlb. If it's off, you don't want to strip anything else with it. Also watch out for the values in the manual. They give Nm and ftlb. I you read 43(which is Nm) and set the wrench for 43ftlb instead of 31, you'll pull threads.

JSP

Super Moderator
It is for sure stripped if it will not tighten. It may not be leaking now but it will most likely. Then trying to do it again next oil change. You need to replace your oil pan if you want to fix it right. But yes it is stripped. I wouldnt trust a heli-coil or time-sert, but many have used them with success. Either way you will need to drop the pan, either to replace it or put in an insert and remove the metal shavings.

jokerX

I'd try replacing the plug before assuming the pan is stripped. Usually the plug threads will peel before the pan threads do. From your description it is most likely stripped and should be changed asap. It may leak or worst case scenario may fall out.

JSP

Super Moderator
I'd try replacing the plug before assuming the pan is stripped. Usually the plug threads will peel before the pan threads do. From your description it is most likely stripped and should be changed asap. It may leak or worst case scenario may fall out.
Nope... The plug is steel and the pan is aluminum. Pan goes first.

jokerX

Nope... The plug is steel and the pan is aluminum. Pan goes first.
Settle down there Debbie Downer. :) Sometimes the pan survives and the plug threads do not. Especially in a situation where he can remove and reinstall the plug. I would venture a guess that a few threads on the end of the plug are damaged. Here's hoping that a fellow rider can avoid a costly repair.

JSP

Super Moderator
Settle down there Debbie Downer. :) Sometimes the pan survives and the plug threads do not. Especially in a situation where he can remove and reinstall the plug. I would venture a guess that a few threads on the end of the plug are damaged. Here's hoping that a fellow rider can avoid a costly repair.
I've been there... Not bein a downer ;). But they are two different metals, two different hardness. Aluminum will strip weeeelllll before steel. Its the pan. Dont ask me why they do this... You would think it would at least be a steel insert with an aluminum drain bolt so when this does happen, its a simple bolt replacement instead of the pan. But thats not what they do. So thats not how it works ;)

Last edited:

jokerX

While I am not disagreeing with you, you are most likely correct. However it can happen that the plug strips first. So if the OP has a hard time discerning if the plug is ruined or the pan is toast I suggest he tries a new plug to see if it will hold. At this point in time may I suggest a friendly wager here? I will purchase a beverage of your choice if I ever find myself in your area if it is indeed the pan. Seeings that it's not too likely I'll ever be down your way, I hope you aren't too thirsty...:D

JSP

Super Moderator
While I am not disagreeing with you, you are most likely correct. However it can happen that the plug strips first. So if the OP has a hard time discerning if the plug is ruined or the pan is toast I suggest he tries a new plug to see if it will hold. At this point in time may I suggest a friendly wager here? I will purchase a beverage of your choice if I ever find myself in your area if it is indeed the pan. Seeings that it's not too likely I'll ever be down your way, I hope you aren't too thirsty...:D
Deal ;)

but sure, why not...? Either way, you need to drain the oil which means removing the bolt. Check the threads on the bolt, they will most likely have a spiral metal (aluminum) between the threads.

It may look like this... The metal between the threads of the bolt is your oil pan.

blackShawarma

OK thanks for all the info-

I think the first post may have had it, and i was being a little paranoid.. ive never used a torque wrench before, and realized this thing could easily put out a ton of torque given its size-

I kept screwing and eventually it seemed to snug up, but way after it looked like it should--meaning when it looked like the head made contact with the pan..maybe its this crush washer (i didnt change that)? I suppose i was a little frustrated after resorting to the screwdriver method of removing the filter :mad:

Still don't seem to be any leaks, will go for a ride and check again
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

blackShawarma

Hoping that as well :)

Indeed I looked at both threads and they looked fine, i thought the same- maybe i damaged the last few, if thats even possible, it defintely doesn't look like that first pic.

blackShawarma

Deal ;)

but sure, why not...? Either way, you need to drain the oil which means removing the bolt. Check the threads on the bolt, they will most likely have a spiral metal (aluminum) between the threads.

It may look like this... The metal between the threads of the bolt is your oil pan.

Crap! I thought I was OK- the first two threads in the plug did seem to have a materiall like that between them, I was hoping it was sealant or something

Deanohh

What type of torque wrench are you using and how big is it? If it is the click type, it will click once at the set torque but it will not "stop tightening" if you keep turning. You must stop turning when it clicks. Try in on a very low setting on a separate bolt first so you get the feel of it. Also for 30 ftlb, do not use a huge 200 max ftlb wrench. They are most accurate when in about the middle of their range and settings lower than about 20% of their max generally are unreliable. After using the wrench, set it to its lowest setting for storage.

Recently I was standing next to my kid who was tightening the drain plug one of my bikes he was helping with. He looked up at me and said "one click or two?" Thank God I happend to by right there. I don't know where he came up with that one. I had to bite my tongue.... there is only one click; if you think you will get two you will break everything.

For threaded fasteners, the most strain is at the first threads closest to the head. The thread failure from overtightening starts near the head and progressess down the fastener but by the time you feel it, they all are probably damaged. When they get tighter and tighter then you feel it relax or the torque suddenly get lower, what you are feeling is the threads tearing out of either the bolt or nut, depending on materials and design.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Harda toenail

You can get it re threaded and use a different bolt and washer. On my family's bike and mine I screw the bolt in with my hand then use a wrench and tighten just more than snug. I only hand tighten my oil filters (as tight as I can go with my hands). Never had a leak or strip, or any trouble removing anything. Learned this from a different forum.