Dent in Gas Tank

J

justBlue

Be careful doing that with too much air pressure. You don't want to rupture the line in the tank, in case that it is clogged. Just turn down the regulator on your compressor.

Can't rmeber on the 6r, does it share the same line for the overflow and vent, or are they seperate?
there is two lines in front of brake pedal. one seems to be overflow - the other I have no idea?
Need to buy Manual - but Christmas and all. not good timing. Or, I would tear the whole @$* down to get to it. :)

latony007

I can't figure where it came from... no scrach or smug nothing. It was covered with a bath towel on tank then sheet over bike. Looked in raftrers - nothing. Really looks like sucked in... we did have a cold front. down to 45 +/- sat in garage because of rain and turkey day. Hope I didn't hurt something now inserting air through the overflow tube.
when you do find out what it was please let us know. I am no expert but common sense tells me you would have to have some serious negative pressure in the tank to "pull" in the metal to dent it. Like outer space no air kind of negative pressure :)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
J

justBlue

when you do find out what it was please let us know. I am no expert but common sense tells me you would have to have some serious negative pressure in the tank to "pull" in the metal to dent it. Like outer space no air kind of negative pressure :)
Having a professional look at it tomorrow (Fri.)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Did something fall on it?

I remember a few years back i had an old door leaning against a wall and the wind blew it over denting my car parked 2m away (door was 2.4m tall and the dent was above drivers door roof panel)

Sparkxx1

Make sure that vent is clear. If you wanna read about a similar situation where the tank was dented due to a blocked vent read:

All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle - Gas Tank Imploding like a Crushed Beer Can

No pictures though...I feel like this might be your situation since you had a cold front. If anyone is gonna dent your motorcycle I doubt they'll take the time to protect the paint job and wrap the hammer in a towel. Plus that dent is so nicely shaped.

The link is a more extreme case, but you never know. I don't feel like the top of our gas tank would be easy to implode from the inside due to that round shape.

Last edited:
J

justBlue

No idea - I think the pump might have done it!! no scuffs or scratchs - clean

Pisses me off

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparkxx1

No idea - I think the pump might have done it!! no scuffs or scratchs - clean

Pisses me off
To be honest if you can't get it fixed or it's too much money you could just put tank grips in that area. I fell in love with my grips since they give me a lot of confidence, plus nobody will know but you =X

J

justBlue

To be honest if you can't get it fixed or it's too much money you could just put tank grips in that area. I fell in love with my grips since they give me a lot of confidence, plus nobody will know but you =X
Got pictures?
Like to see. see what I need to order

J

justBlue

Dent

someone told me they got these caps that are not vented. Pump it with air pump out dent. I tried to cover mine all different ways but air still vent out the top... lol

Riccochet

Like I said a paintless dent removal guy should be able to pop that out. You might see a little creasing, but at least it won't be a big dent.

J

justBlue

Like I said a paintless dent removal guy should be able to pop that out. You might see a little creasing, but at least it won't be a big dent.
I have the same paint job as Riccohet - dent at the end point of white stripe(little under)

latony007

Looks cool! but I have custom paint going across tank.
I did find this weekend a baseball bat about three feet away from my bike.....hmmmm
whatever happened when you went to see a "professional" did I miss that?