Dent in Gas Tank

J

justBlue

I'm crushed... not even a year old and she's bent dented. Don't know how (kids maybe). No scuff or sratch. If Could just get my finger behind it... it looks like it wood just pop out. But, cant reach :-(
any tricks of the trade? Paint is perfect!
Please advise - I'm attaching a quick photo - right near new gel seat I got a month ago.

Attachments

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bmw675

Make sure your vent isn't clogged. The pump may have sucked it in.

J

justBlue

Dented Gas Taank

Yea.... sucks man! not even year old. Anywhere but the tank you know... Just dropped about one grand in value overnight. Tucked nice and safe in the garage... kids! Or, better yet wife!! She never did like the idea of me riding again.
Merry Christmas - I'm going to get a tank bag where a magnet covers that spot. hee hee hee :confused:

justBlue to justDented!!!

Attachments

J

justBlue

Vent? Are you pulling my leg or serious?

No mark at all - looks sucked in...

J

justBlue

Try the compressed air / hair dryer trick.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.
Tried blow dryer and frozen air can - no luck - thanks for idea. Very welcomed - need more ideas. not ready to give up. Just add that gel seat month ago. Very nice change on behind...

bmw675

Vent? Are you pulling my leg or serious?

No mark at all - looks sucked in...
I'm serious. The tank is actually thinner than you think.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
J

justBlue

Two tubes, right in front of rear brake pedal, if you flip your gas cap up, you can see the hole where it goes (as in, if you pour a little gas in it, it should come out the tube).
You think it would be the same to test blowing into the tubes and air coming from gass tank mean it's clear. Both tubes should be able to blow air with out being clogged - the dent is soo clean - looks like from within.

JSP

Super Moderator
Can you lift tank off and take off the fuel pump and get to it from the bottom? Have not seen the underside of a 6r tank in a while so not sure. That or try the glue dent puller idea. Or try and get some kind of suction cup on it to pull it out? I've phlled a few car dents out with plungers before ;). Maybe a gps or camera suction cup?

bmw675

You think it would be the same to test blowing into the tubes and air coming from gass tank mean it's clear. Both tubes should be able to blow air with out being clogged - the dent is soo clean - looks like from within.
Be careful doing that with too much air pressure. You don't want to rupture the line in the tank, in case that it is clogged. Just turn down the regulator on your compressor.

Can't rmeber on the 6r, does it share the same line for the overflow and vent, or are they seperate?

Riccochet

Call a paintless dent removal person. They should be able to pop it out with their special tools. Might cost you $100, but it beats buying a new tank.

latony007

that's such a bummer, I would cry. Im with JT though, you would have to whack that thing really good to dent it. In other words whoever did it more than likely knows it happened. Is there anything above it that could have fell onto it? the air thing is ridiculous. a new tank on cheap cycle parts looks to be 540$

J

justBlue

I can't figure where it came from... no scrach or smug nothing. It was covered with a bath towel on tank then sheet over bike. Looked in raftrers - nothing. Really looks like sucked in... we did have a cold front. down to 45 +/- sat in garage because of rain and turkey day. Hope I didn't hurt something now inserting air through the overflow tube.