Custom Fz6r

vitrox

no new pics today, but I did get the r6 front rim installed, I also made some brackets for my new headlights, and moved the horn inside the frame to clean the forks up. The new headlights are SUPER bright, i'll get some shots of them. For their size, i'm thouroughly amazed. they are vision-x solstice lights if you want to check them out.

vitrox

more new photos!

front end is on and almost finished, still need a fender and the spacers for the wheel bearings. The headlights are almost finished, I still want to grind the brackets down a bit more, and still need paint on them. I also managed to squeeze some time in today to change the brake fluid and bleed them out.
The cluster bracket still needs some grinding on my messy welds, and some paint. The wiring is going to come out from under the tank and directly up to the cluster.
my turn signals are on the way, I have some ideas for mounting them, but I need to wait until they get here to see if it will work.
I also need to still order a red pin stripe kit for the rear rim to match it to the front.

oh, and I took apart the stock forks.. wow, nothing in there but a spacer, a washer, and a spring. Pretty simple to change out the springs if anyone needs to do it, don't even need to take them off the bike if you have some long needle nose pliers.

Newmason

This whole conversion looks like a huge time consumer and alittle on pricey side. Have you figured out what type of farings you are going to be using? 6r?

vitrox

Actually, the forks was a fast swap, all this other stuff is because the bike was wrecked when I bought it. It will be naked.

My total price for the fork conversion
$400 forks
$200 wheel+rotor
$100 misc parts from dealer
$175 custom machining
$129 carbon fiber fender

total $1004

it could be done cheaper, but I wanted the carbon fiber and I wanted everything now.

Newmason

Naked huh! So dirty :scared:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Wow! vitrox, this is AWESOME! Are you going to replace the rear shock with something better to match the R6 front end? And, have you thought of anything for the intake? I wonder if the FZ6 intake and CAM would bolt up? That would replace quite a few of the HP they took away when they made the R model.

vitrox

no thoughts on intake yet. I'm probably going to elimate quite a bit of wiring thats inside there. I opened up the hole inside the frame by eliminating the smog pump, but now its filling up with extra wire length. I won't be doing any performance mods yet. I'd like to finish getting it legal and getting the title and registration sorted out. I still only have a bill of sale from the insurance company.
the rear shock I haven't decided on yet. Maybe when ohlins make something, or I may try and put my r1 shock on there. The r1 shock is quite a bit longer though, so I would need to make a spacer under the seat somehow.

I'm going to see how it rides first before I swap out the rear shock. I know the rear on the r1 wasn't great for track duty, and I replaced it with an ohlins ttx. I'm assuming this one is even worse.

I'm going to do the r6 exhaust, but i'm going to put on the new r6 shorty exhaust. I'll have to get a pipe expander, but it can be done. I'll also swap the filter and put in a power commander. Nothing yet though. The wife already doesn't like me spending as much as I have. :)

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Look around the Euro sites as well since this is the US model of their XJ6. I'm betting there are other options available and those part numbers can sometimes transfer to a dealer here. Looks like a lot of work but I can't wait to see the naked result. :D

wallerjt217

Its looking good man!!! Pretty cool too

vitrox

i plan on making a belly pan out of the factory bodywork that i have. the top was broken and cracked, but everything on the bottom is still good, i'll just cut it down and see how it looks before I attempt to finish it.

i also can't decide on paint.. should i go flat black or get the digidark wrap?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Flat black with some satin or matte black parts to offset it and define certain lines. Don't know what those lines are though until you've got her nearly complete. :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

it actually feels pretty good, its a bit like my r1's seat position, but the tank feels bigger on the fz6r. and it definitely looks like a cafe bike from the back. It has sad looking handle bars. :)

vitrox

Haven't updated this in a long time, so here are some fresh pics. The bike is completely rideable now, I still have a few more things to buy, and do. I still need to get the case cover, and grab bar on the rear replaced because they are rashed. I also need a new clutch lever to get rid of rash.

Still haven't done any painting yet, I attempted to do some vinyl wrap, but I didn't like the way it looked on there. Just looked like a big ass sticker. Once the weather is a bit warmer i'll paint.

so anyway, just installed the integrated smoke tail the other day and removed the fender. I mounted the plate with some L brackets from home depot. The placement apparently wasn't great. The tire hit the plate and bent it, when I was doing some spirited riding today.

jdmspec42

the bike looks great, did the r1 rearsets put your feet at a different/ location? i feel goofy when fully tucked on this bike lol thanks

Detrich

that's badass... is it more difficult to ride w/o a windshield?

Halon

That's a badass project. How do the handlebars fit lock-to-lock? Do they run into the tank at all? (not sure if that was asked/answered yet). I wish I had the time and money to complete a project like this. :)