curiousity....

corwin06

I just bought a 2009 yamaha fz6r and put only 350 miles on it I must say I love the bikeand how sexy and quick it is. I want to know why this bike does 135 and not 150 like my friends bikes and how would it stack up to against a r6 ninja or a yzf in a quarter mile. Noobish questions but I just bought the bike and I do not mknow much about it

MikeN02

I just bought a 2009 yamaha fz6r and put only 350 miles on it I must say I love the bikeand how sexy and quick it is. I want to know why this bike does 135 and not 150 like my friends bikes and how would it stack up to against a r6 ninja or a yzf in a quarter mile. Noobish questions but I just bought the bike and I do not mknow much about it
Specs specs specs.

Like cars, and people. Every motorcycle has different equipment, engine, wheels and frame. If every bike were the same speed, why not make every bike the same? Isn't a Honda Accord the same as a Honda Civic?

This bike does 135 and not 150 because of a lot of things. A Detuned R6 engine, 70~ Horsepower compared to a supersport motorcycle's 110~ Horsepower.

If you look at motorcycles in general, you'll see there are different bikes for different people. One for the track called your Supersport motorcycles, which is extremely uncomfortable because it's built for speed. Has an aggressive riding position and in a lot of cases people say their wrist and back start hurting after 20 minutes.

Then you have our bike which is a Sport Touring bike with an upright riding position like sitting on a chair. It's built for comfort, everyday street riding, touring the country without hurting, and it has the looks and feel of a "sport bike".

You have what I call your entry level 600cc classes (FZ6-R, Ninja 650R, SV650) then you have your top true level 600cc classes (R6, ZX6R, CBR RR)

Rat

I want to know why this bike does 135 and not 150 like my friends bikes and how would it stack up to against a r6 ninja or a yzf in a quarter mile.
1. If compare R6 and FZ6R engines - FZ6R engine power band was moved to mid-range RPM. It means you will get a little more power with FZ6R during "normal" riding on the street without pushing it to 11-12k.

2. It's a little more heavy but more comfortable. Do you guys frequently see R6 or R1 during your riding on the street? Me not.

3. My suggestion to you - forget about quater mile and similar stuff like 120 MPH, that does not make sense. If you want a little more power - like +10-15 horses and loud buzzing - install Twin Brothers exhaust + Juice Box, budget is like 1300$. Many people here did this. Use "search".

Last edited:

MikeN02

Seriously if you're going to be doing 120 MPH on the streets for a long time you shouldn't have a license. Take that to the track where all the R6 and other track bikes are.

Our bike is built for street use and it has more than enough power for it.

JonKerr

Elite Member

corwin06

camaro compared to a vette.... hmm i see now... im just curious why is it 'detuned' why didnt they just have the same engine carb ect ect just switch up the frame to make it more compfy?

Roaddawg

camaro compared to a vette.... hmm i see now... im just curious why is it 'detuned' why didnt they just have the same engine carb ect ect just switch up the frame to make it more compfy?
'Cuz its tuned for low to mid range power which is best for normal street riding...where the original R6 motor is tuned for the upper range of power, making it good for high revving track riding, but not so fun on street riding/commuting. Different purpose bikes. That's why when people get upset that the FZ6R isn't a track star (but a great Jack-of-all-riding) they should have bought an R6.

longtube55

Yeah, seriously I'm glad I bought an FZ6R. my friend had an R6 and he was trying to convince me to get one. So I rode his for all of maybe 8 miles and my back muscles spazzed out and I had to stop. I'm only 22 and the R6 was just too uncomfortable on the slower twisty back roads of Perry County. FZ6R on the other hand, after an exhaust and power tuner, keeps up with my dads V-Star 1100 and his friends Harley Sportster 1200 on straights and out handles them on twisty back roads in comfort. :):):)

ksanbon

Performance costs, $3000+ for a supersport plus, for many, a big jump in insurance.

FZJ

Just so you know, I ran mine at the quarter mile and if you get a good launch you'll have the 600 race replicas at the beginning 20 or so feet. Anything after that.... well, let's just say game over.