Cross country ride?

Fenixgoon

Hey guys, I live in Maryland and I'll be working out in California for two months starting at the end of April.

Flying is convenient (already picked a flight out) but I remembered someone from another forum doing an annual cross country ride, and thought this might be the perfect excuse to do it!

Distance is about 2700 miles (shortest route) according to google maps. What are your guys thoughts on a solo trip? Company is welcome of course :D:D What kind of preparations might I need to make? I know I'd need camping gear, snacks, hardbags, probably a nicer seat, new tires (current ones have 6k on them and still look good, but why risk it?)

Part of me says just to take the damn flight, since it's for work. Another part of me says this is one hell of an opportunity :)

k6gad

I've done 600 miles in one day on my 6R. My @ss was done by the end of the day. I purchased the comfort seat after that and it is a little better. Also don't forget to adjust the seat to the higher setting if it isn't already there. I have gotten as much as 60+ mpg out on the freeway at 70-75 so the bike lasted longer than my bladder between fill-ups. In all had a blast. I have a 44 litre top-box and between that and a waterproof bag strapped to the rear seat I was gold for storage. Have fun.

Sparkxx1

You're going to the west coast for two months. You'll have a chance to hit some of the greatest roads if you take the bike. Plus you can just use the bike as a commuter in Cali. My vote is...TAKE THE BIKE! :thumbup::thumbup:

See red

Gone from Chicago to Cali. twice, Chicago to boston six times, and Florida several times. On this bike I am going to Florida this spring, as well as going around the great lakes.

I say take the bike.... you will never remember anything else as vivid, ok maybe your wedding, na you will remember bits of that, lol! your children you'll remember.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

Sound like an excellent excuse to me to take the 6R for a unforgettable ride. With few mod you can get your ride and you ready and have an excellent commuter once over there.

Hey See Red, when and where in FL?
what kind of mods do i need? obviously the hardbags and a nice seat.

See red

I will be heading down to the Orlando area, I am not sure of a date yet.

Hard bags, trunk, I HIGHLY recommend aux. lights, There are a ton of roads with no lighting especially in the midwest. This would also allow you to take a few extra stops and stretch more as you can more safetly run at night. If you have 35 bucks go with a sprocket change. more fuel range and lowers your rpms on the highways. There are a bunch of us with touring set ups.

Post up pics for the man, pick and choose some of what you like, all my bags come off in about 1 minute

Lighting

Reactions: JSP

Fenixgoon

see red, what light kit and sprocket do you have?

i've seen some LED kits, but they are a few hundred $. dont know what my options are, really.

for hardcases, i figured i'd go all givi. they make awesome stuff.

See red

Givi cases, most go with the v35's some like the e21's, but you bet your buttered toast they are good.
My lights are from adv monster, not nearly as much and 3x's as bright as the denalis.

Hope you go, grab a breath mint or two on the way out though, somedays a burp in the helmet is worse than a fart in the shower.

Jay S.

My 2 cents... You will never regret taking the trip on the bike but you will regret NOT taking it. Opportunity is knocking bro. :)

Sent from my pimp-a$$ Galaxy Skyrocket

Fenixgoon

ordered all my hardcases today. those will come in probably a few days.

the mounting hardware i had to get from a different place and will probably take 2 weeks :(

KeysRider3

You'll need a good rain suit, waterproof boots or gaiters, waterproof gloves, poly pro underwear or some other suitable cold weather gear because temperatures will still be "cool", and there's a good possibility of snow in the upper elevations during April and May even if you take the Southern route. Plan on averaging 400 miles a day even though you may do a little more, or less. Day 1 will be okay, but your backside will thank you once you stop for the day. Day 2 will be okay the first 45-60 minutes, then you'll feel like you're still on Day 1. Day 3 will be good as your body will have started to adjust, and you'll know what you have to do so that at the end of the day you don't feel like you've been subjected to enhanced interrogation. Keep your cell phone charged, check your oil each morning, and keep track of where you are so you can give your location to any help you may need. Now, take the ride!

Superzoom

Electric vest, electric vest, electric vest... ELECTRIC VEST!

Can you tell I love my electric vest? Seriously, my electric vest is my FAVOURITE accessory for my bike. It's super comforting on any chilly ride and cuts down on bulky layers. It sounds weird, but it provides the same comfort as a fire when you go camping.

Fenixgoon

Electric vest, electric vest, electric vest... ELECTRIC VEST!

Can you tell I love my electric vest? Seriously, my electric vest is my FAVOURITE accessory for my bike. It's super comforting on any chilly ride and cuts down on bulky layers. It sounds weird, but it provides the same comfort as a fire when you go camping.
what you're saying is i should wear a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops like all those cool supersport riders, right? :D:D

i definitely need thermal/windproof pants and shirt, because that's 99% of what makes you cold.

Chevyfazer

i definitely need thermal/windproof pants and shirt, because that's 99% of what makes you cold.
Or once you get your gear on just have someone wrap you up in saran wrap....lol

As far as lighting goes check out http://www.blackdogcw.com/

They have some of The best lights on the market right now, specifically the ones from RIGID Industries. They are super though and blindingly bright LEDs. They are pricey but worth every penny. You could probably be fine just buying one of their 2x8 led lights that half of the lights are a flood setup and the other half is a directional spot light set up

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Or once you get your gear on just have someone wrap you up in saran wrap....lol

As far as lighting goes check out BDCW Your Adventure Touring Authority for KTM | BMW | Adventure | 990 990 R1200GS | Motorcycle | skid plate

They have some of The best lights on the market right now, specifically the ones from RIGID Industries. They are super though and blindingly bright LEDs. They are pricey but worth every penny. You could probably be fine just buying one of their 2x8 led lights that half of the lights are a flood setup and the other half is a directional spot light set up
anything special for hooking lights up, or what kind of power draw limits there are?

i was going to get a pair of advmonster Model 60s. each draws 2.4A @ 12V (28W, 56W combined). i don't know how much extra load the electrical system can handle though.

also got my givi luggage rack and cases on...and maaaaaan they are nice. terrible instructions though.

Chevyfazer

I'm not sure how much wattage the fz6r has to spare, or your current setup, but if you went with a low amp HID headlight, led turn signals, and a led brake, it would free up a substantial amount of wattage for you to add some extras such as those lights and a gps. You might be better off power wise getting one large aux light, they make some that have directional focused LEDs with flood type LEDs in one unit. I'm sure there are many places that you could draw power from on the "r" for the lights but I would make sure to put them on a switch so If they do pull to much power they are not always on, you can turn them on only when you need them. Plus if you wanted to spend a little more money [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KLOYHE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/183-7111434-8180609"]NEW BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE LITHIUM EVO2 12V 12 CELL MOTORCYCLE BATTERY, RED, 410 AMPS, LH NEGATIVE:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]
Replace your battery with one of these, just about he best battery on the market right now, and you could buy a battery tender junior to top it up every night when you stop for the evening.

Fenixgoon

I'm not sure how much wattage the fz6r has to spare, or your current setup, but if you went with a low amp HID headlight, led turn signals, and a led brake, it would free up a substantial amount of wattage for you to add some extras such as those lights and a gps. You might be better off power wise getting one large aux light, they make some that have directional focused LEDs with flood type LEDs in one unit. I'm sure there are many places that you could draw power from on the "r" for the lights but I would make sure to put them on a switch so If they do pull to much power they are not always on, you can turn them on only when you need them. Plus if you wanted to spend a little more money NEW BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE LITHIUM EVO2 12V 12 CELL MOTORCYCLE BATTERY, RED, 410 AMPS, LH NEGATIVE:Amazon:Automotive
Replace your battery with one of these, just about he best battery on the market right now, and you could buy a battery tender junior to top it up every night when you stop for the evening.
my bike is complete stock as far as electronics go, including factory battery.

Chevyfazer

If you did want to add some extra electronics it wouldn't be a bad idea to change over to HID at least, the led signals and other lights are good too